Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the new detective just got there, and already seems like the most competent one on the force.... which means he will probably be killed in the next episode. lol

I thought the voiceovers started out interesting this season, and I got a huge kick out of hearing Dexter's perspective on religion ("Maybe it sounds crazy because it is").

But yeah, by this point it does seem to have turned into a lot of restating the obvious.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Deb's clunge is cursed.

If she sleeps with the new guy, he's dead.

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

:lol: A bit like Sam Carter.

4. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, the show has been deteriorating for a while, but the incest stuff is a very clear jumping-the-shark milestone for this show. To the point where if they actually explore this plot line further, "Jump the shark" should probably be replaced with "Bang the sister."

And I literally laughed out loud at Travis' beast painting.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Great. LaGuerta gets Mathews out and is probably gonna take his place which means I'll have to suffer through her character for another season. Quinn's a total fuck up and needs to get his ass kicked outta here. Batista's still pretty cool but by all rights Travis should've killed him just for his stupidity in getting caught last week. The new cop is ok but we still really don't know him so keep him. I think all three of these characters need to go especially laGuerta and Quinn. The show would be better without them. We need fresh blood.

That Louis guy is weird. I don't get why he's even there. I'm guessing his purpose will be revealed next week. Or are they making him part of next season?

Travis is going after and abducts Harrison...he looked like he was going to kill the kid. Would they really go there and off Dexter's son? Or will Dexter be forced to kill Travis in front of Harrison and thus fuck the kid up for life?

6. MichaelDornFan

I think they might be setting up the Louis/the intern as next season's villain... In which case this is one of the few parts of the season they've done relatively well.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Yeh the writers need to put that one back from wherever it came from. Yes there not blood related but for all intense and purposes they are brother/sister so please leave it like that :borg:

The finale looks good and overall this season has been better than last I feel, the religion angle has been well done IMO.

8. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew they were going in that direction the moment the therapist started asking her about Dexter and the fact that they weren't biologically related came up. It's definitely an off putting notion but that's the point and I don't get why everyone here seems so against it from a creative perspective.

I'm loving this season. I just hope EJO shows up again for the finale.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The therapist should only approach the subject to diffuse it in controlled safe environment, because it's radically unhealthy and...

That's either the worst therapist in the world or Debs Dark Passenger.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well part of him did this last episode. :lol::lol:

so deb is having romantic feeling for her half/brother which is kinda sick. I know there not physically related but they grew up as brother and sister.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

There not half siblings.

12. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

Jokes aside, I honestly had that suspicion as well.

Also, yeah, Deb's having weird dreams where she's confusing her feelings for Dexter with romantic feelings. But that's all they are; there's been no signs that she's actually going to try to go that route in reality. It's just one more thing to add to her growing list of stress on the road to a meltdown. Quit overreacting.

13. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I know their not related but I don't like where this show is going, its as bad as bordwalk empire:barf:

14. MichaelDornFan

I did notice the therapist was in the background watching Deb & Dex when they were with the EMT after the gas attack.

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't see that! Interesting.

There is some real weirdness in the Deb feelings for Dex department. The real weirdness for me stems from very little foreshadowing of that in the season(s) before. It kind of dropped like a bomb out of nowhere. So I'm in the belief that it only exists to
    a) stress Deb out more
    b) intensify the feelings when she finds out Dex is a serial killer

Anyway, I enjoyed this season but they really have to shake [the series] up and fast. Deb should walk in on Dex killing Tom Hanks Jr during the finale and if that doesn't happen, it should happen immediately next season.

We were teased about this in last year's finale and it was kind of a cop out not to go through with it. But I guess they played with the idea of a "single Dexter" as opposed to one with a girly-girlfriend nearly all the time.

PS. Quinn and Angel and their antics had me roaring all season... which I assume will end up with Deb happily demoted and Angel taking her place once the dust settles from the thing with Capt. Shitface.

16. davejames

Yeah it's a deeply off putting idea, but at least it's a daring and edgy storyline. Feels like it's been way too long since this show has had one of those.

And with all she's been through, it does kinda make sense that Debra might have a moment of confusion about her strange relationship with Dexer-- as long as the writers don't take it too much further than that.

That would have been an awesome reveal last year (and it still seems contrived as hell that Debra suddenly decided to let them go), but frankly that's just too good a moment to waste on a lame season and villain like this one.

Save it for next season instead, and really do it right.

17. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty happy with this season as a whole. When I heard the topic was going to be religion my big fear was that they would give Dexter some kind of religious conversion that would later be reversed (which would be totally out of character) but thankfully they've kept him about where he should be regarding the subject. The villain this year is kind of a numbskull but I think that's kind of the point of the character. I think the intern is a pretty interesting character and don't quite get what he's about yet, which is good. The Deb + Dex thing I think is just there to be provocative, and it's fine in that context.

I think they've always been like that. I noticed it during my last rewatch of the first couple of seasons. I'd like to think he's intentionally written that way. Not very smart at anything except killing. Sort of a murder savant.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  18. davejames

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's an article about the incest "trend" on tv:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-and-others-break-the-incest-taboo-on-tv.html specifically Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Lost and a few other shows. Hopefully this is just a brief flirtation of this and that the writers will drop this by the end of this season's finale. It's ok with me that they just touch on it but to do anything past a brief flirtation is a mistake. It's kind of icky and really just came out of nowhere.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  20. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uhm, the incest idea in Game of Thrones is not a TV thing. Martin came up with that when he wrote the book back in the early 90's.