Picard's Glass Ship

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by BolianAuthor, Sep 2, 2009.

1. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I finally thought I'd post this here, in the hopes that Mister Okuda or Sternbach can shed some light on this...

In Picard's Ready-Room, on the 1701-D, there is a model sailing ship, apparently made out of glass. I would like to know if this is the case, and if so, is it a ship model that was/is available to buy, and was just used as set dressing, or was it something that the prop department made up, special for TNG? Does anyone have any good photographs of this prop? Any feedback is most appreciated. Thanks.

-BolianAdmiral

2. Mike Okuda

Mike Okuda Commander Red Shirt

That decorative sailing ship was made by an artist named Anthony Vanetta. (I'm not entirely sure of the spelling, sorry.) Anthony gave two acrylic ship models to Gene Roddenberry. One sat on Gene's office desk, while the other was used as set dressing in Picard's ready room.

-Mike

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where in the room is it located? And was it during a particular season, episode, or the 7 year run?

4. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

^

Thanks very much for the info, Mr. Okuda!

billcosby, the ship model was located on the side of the room where the 1701-D painting was, towards the corner, near Picard's desk.

5. Falieson

Falieson Cadet Newbie

I realize this is a wicked old thread, but does anyone know where I can find more pictures, a model, or somewhere to purchase this glass ship found in picard's room? I was thinking if no other option was possible, of making a 3d-print (if I can find enough pics to create a model form)