Glitch on the season 2 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Art Vandelay, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Yesterday, I came across a glitch on my second season DVDs of DS9 (I own the North American set), and I was wondering if it's just a bad disc or if anybody else has that problem.

When I watched the episode Crossover, during the teaser, specifically during the first shot of Mirror Terok Nor in orbit of Bajor, both picture and sound freeze for a second. I could reproduce the glitch on both my standalone DVD player and my computer. The disc doesn't have any visible damage or dirt.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

I've run across so many glitches playing back my hundreds of TV show DVDs on various players that I barely pay attention anymore. Because a lot of times, it's the player than has an issue with the disc, rather than a defect with the disc.

3. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

This is not a known issue problem, to my knowledge.

Back when the DVD sets first came out, there was 1 disk that had a known issue - I believe it was the disc containing Let He Who Is Without Sin. Paramount was offering a replacement for that one, if you got one of the bad ones, but I'm not sure that offer is still in effect as the problem has likely been fixed with sets produced after the first run.

But in answer to your question, I don't recall anyone reporting any problems with that episode in this forum.

4. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you sure it wasn't just your player switching layers? Mine does that. If you don't have a player that scans ahead, you'll get a momentary pause as the switch occurs. Though if you see the same problem on multiple units, perhaps it is a glitch. As long as it recovers, I wouldn't do anything about it, personally.

5. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't having "Let He Who Is Without Sin" not be able play on your dvd player be considered a good thing?:confused: ;)

7. Jack Bauer

I hate the rest of the episode but the teaser is pretty good. ^

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

So...the glitch is that the rest of the episode plays without a problem? :)

9. Jack Bauer

Yes, one could say that. :D

10. Frenzy

Frenzy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Go to where you bought it and get a new one.

11. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got a bit of a glitch on two of my DS9 discs: The second half of the very first disc of Season 1, mostly on A Man Alone; and the second half of the Season 6 disc with Waltz (towards the end) and Who Mourns For Morn?.

Specifically, there is a bit of a "stuttering" problem, where the picture and sound freeze up for a few seconds...but then picks up right where it left off. It mainly seems to happen throughout the aforementioned episodes. I'm only grateful that everything doesn't freeze up more permanently - like quite a few other discs of mine do!

12. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I have a glitch on most of my voyager discs, but it has never happened wirth any of my other DVDs star trek and non star trek.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Same here. My main problem are those DVD-18's, the double sided ones that Universal was putting out until last year when they finally got smart and started putting out single sided disks again.

14. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the only Trek DVD I've ever had a problem with was during Second Sight. There's about a minute in there that I cannot play, it just skips past it no matter what I do. This was on the UK set.