Data as Sherlock Holmes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by at Quark's, Dec 15, 2012.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This morning, I was watching 'message in a bottle' (great ep!), and the teaser, in which we see data playing Sherlock Holmes, got me wondering. Just how convincing is his British accent, really ?

Does he sound 'natural' to a Britishman or more like an American trying to emulate a British accent ? (of course allowing for the fact that he is playing someone from the 19th century, not our time, so perhaps my question should be: would he have sounded natural to British people from that time?) . It's hard for me to tell, as English is not my native language and the differences might be too subtle for me to notice...

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well being an American, it sounded British enough to me to get the point across he was trying to emulate one. Though for how genuine it was, I would defer to someone who's from Britain.

Certainly in America, someone from Boston is going to sound very different than someone from Texas. One would assume this very well is the case in different parts of Britain too.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Good point.

There are many regional differences in British accents (from our perspective at least). I imagine those accents sound different among British people from different areas.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I wonder if Data ever did heroin to try being "more like Holmes."

EDIT: Or cocaine, rather.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  5. Mike Have-Not

Mike Have-Not Captain Captain

SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol
    Syntheroin

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Fauxcaine

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think more than just emulating a British accent, he was emulating the quintessential Holmes sound, which has been mostly developed from screen portrayals

In that way, it was passable, at least to this American

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It sounded horrible (as most Americans doing "British" do :lol: )