Would These Two Jerks Like Each Other?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain McBain, May 25, 2013.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

How would Lore and Laas, two of the bigger jerks in the history of Star Trek, interact? Which of the two do you believe to be the bigger jerk?

:klingon:

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Since I've no memory of Laas, I'll go with Lore.

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Lore wasn't a mere jerk - he was a maniac with an inferiority complex. Laas was just rude.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Seriously, I had to look it up. Never in a million years would've remembered this character from just a four-letter alien name out of 700 hours of Trek:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Laas

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto. I had no idea who "Laas" was.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. Lore worked with the Crystalline Entity to take down his home, and tried to take down the Enterprise too. While posing as Data. Killed Dr. Soong, also while posing as Data. Then later manipulated Data into torturing Geordi while ruling over a bunch of freed Borg with plans of galactic domination or something.

Laas was just a rude guy who only killed one person in self-defense.

7. Captain McBain

I'm not sure how it could be concluded that Lore had an inferiority complex, though.

8. Captain McBain

It really wasn't self-defense, since Laas' life wasn't in any danger from the Klingons.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

From "Brothers"

Since Lore wasn't actually built with substandard parts, he must just feel inferior, and he compensates with antisocial behavior.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Lore is far worse than Laas. Laas killed that one klingon, but he's the kind of guy who'll leave you alone if you leave him alone. He wants nothing to do with solids.

Lore actively goes out and takes delight in murdering people.

@Captain McBain

Odo said that the klingon was reaching for his blaster, and Odo's the least likely to lie out of anyone in the series. He didn't need to kill the klingon to defend himself, but unless Odo acted completely out of character and lied for the first time his life, it was self defense.

11. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Lore definitely is the bigger a-hole by far!

I think it would have been interesting if Kivas Fajo and Lore interacted.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kivas_Fajo

12. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Can Lore enjoy anything?

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's not like he intended to kill the Klingon. That is, Laas didn't decide to go to the Promenade specifically to kill a Klingon.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I thought Laas was cool myself. And who didn't have an evil grin when Lore wanted to turn Wesley into a torch? Talk about a ghost-face killa'

I didn't hate Wesley's character like many did, but that line from DataLore, and Data's stabbing of poor Troi during the cake thing showed what a great villain Spiner was capable of playing.

Now Mudd and Cyrano Jones together--that would be a sight to see--with Bilko thrown in the mix...

15. Captain McBain

I believe Odo said that Laas said that the Klingon was going for his weapon. Odo wasn't even there at the time, so how could he make that claim?

There was no reaching for a blaster weapon in that scene. Laas killed the Klingon for no reason, as was implied in the conversation between Worf, Odo, and Sisko in the next scene. You need to rewatch it.