New to DS9...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Lt. LaForge, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It bothers a lot of fans but I love the emphasis on Bajoran politics and religion in the first few seasons. It's horrifically dumbed down in Season 7 in to being a confict between 2d good and evil but I find it really interesting in the beginning of the show. Shame it got phased out in favour of Klingon and Dominion conflicts really.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

True. I like both arcs, but I enjoyed the Bajoran/Cardassian era more than the Dominion War era.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I love all the early work done on Bajor, its culture and recovery from the Occupation, as well as their status with the Cardassians. It had to be so, since they are the native species a lot would revolve around them and they had to be a properly realised race.

It bothered me when the Klingons came to the forefront, as I personally see them as a species who have been over-used. I liked the Dominion as an enemy, it was good to see an alien empire with more than just once species shown. The war did have a lot of good stories, battles and trials for the crew. I always find it a pity we never got to see all the hard work that went on afterwards.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The first couple of seasons can be a bit of a slog at times, granted. However, make the effort, it pays off later on, IMO. DSN gets really consistently good in it's third season. This is when thewy stopped trying to be "TNG Jr." and decided to just be the best DSN they could be.

And as far as Avery Brooks' acting goes - I've never understood the criticisms, honestly. I think he's just fine.

5. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd definitely rate it as the best of the five series (TNG, the original, Voyager, Enterprise, FWIW). But it takes time to work out what's working properly and go with it, and that goes with Sisko too, so it's at its weakest in the early episodes where they're trying to do conventional Trek episodes with Sisko in the conventional captain's role... while also not doing that. Eventually they work out how to make it all work well for series and character.

6. Lt. LaForge

Lt. LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I must admit, I'm enjoying it. It's really quite good. As an update to those interested, I'm now watching "Babel," the fourth episode. Thanks guys.

7. Lt. LaForge

Thanks, ASE. However, if things keep going like this, I mightn't need any shortcuts ;)

8. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I'm so glad to hear it! Please keep us updated!

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am glad to hear it, as well. To be sure, there are some clunkers in there, but overall, it continues to improve. Kepp it up, and keep letting us know.

10. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

I so tend to agree with you. For me, the Bajoran angle really helped define DS9 as being something wonderfully different. In TOS and TNG everything was hit & run. Deep Space Nine, however, was a feet firmly planted, come hell or high-water affair. Neither approach is inherantly better than the other, but is a groundbreaking and wonderful thing that Star Trek gave us both to enjoy.

No insult intended, but I think many fans cling to "Star Trek" as a security blanket whereby any deviation from the TOS established formula unsettles them. DS9 deviated from and challenged the status quo of Trek. I personally like it when writers poke at things with their #2 lead sticks. Others don't. IDIC.

11. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

There are always going to be real bad ones in any series.
    I wouldn't judge DS9 by one or two episodes the same way I wouldn't judge TOS by "Spock's Brain"!

12. Lt. LaForge

I've now seen 13 episodes. It's a good show. So far, it's better than Enterprise's first season. I already love Odo, Quark, Bashir...added to my already existing love for O'Brien and Miss Farrell. I like Kira and I've learned to tolerate Sisko. The main guy is still as wooden as ever though. His scenes with Jake are the worst. I hate it when the show focuses on them.
    The Quark-Odo dynamic is hilarious. I hope they continue in that vein.

13. Danger Ace

BLASPHEMY! You are redeuced two steps in rank. "Spock's Brain" was an incredible allegorical tale. I will admit, 45 years after it first's airing, I still don't know what the allegory or meaning actually was, BUT! I am sure it was wonderful. And fantastic. And, when we, as a people, are ready, a prophet will come amongst us to enlighten the true-believers with understanding and grace.

Can I have an "AMEN!"

14. Danger Ace

I am going to be brutally honest, AGAIN. I love DS9. I have just started re-watching the series' in order from the start. Avery Brooks' acting does get better as the season unfolds. My two-cents on this:

Mr. Brooks was a drama teacher at an ivy-league school and a "serious" actor when he first came onboard DS9 - a syndicated sci-fi series. I think there was a touch of believing he was above the material, as well as, a lack of understanding and identification outside the Ben-Jake Sisko relationship. Part of what I think we see in "Sisko" is Avery Brooks gaining an understanding and appreciation for the material beyond that father-son dynamic.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't skip any seasons but there are certainly a lot of individual episodes you can skip.

There are a lot of episodes you might consider 'TNG-lite' but I think are a lot of fun, like Dramatis Personae and If Wishes Were Horses.

16. Lt. LaForge

Hey guys. I know that I'm very late, but I feel the need to update you. I finished DS9 in late June/ early July of last year. It was a great few months. I even got my brother hooked to it. I would like to thank you all for encouraging me to see all of it. A few thoughts:

>Sisko became tolerable. I didn't dislike him, but love was too far.
    >Kira was annoying, but became greater and greater as the seasons wore on. I love her. Check my location.
    >Jake became scarce. Good.
    >Worf is a badass. What a warrior. I love how they made him exact the "Worf effect" on others this time instead of suffering it.
    >I hate how wimpy the Klingons were in the early episodes. Kira, with a stab wound in her side, manhandled Klingons the way Khan would have.
    >Neither I nor my brother appreciated what was done to the Ferengi. I'm all for women rights but did they have to change Ferengi culture so much? What's next, female Klingon warriors (with the likes of Worf staying at home). Everyone and his dog knows that Quark should have been Nagus, not that fidgety brother of his.
    >The Dominion story arc was totally amazeballs. Oh, what fun we had watching the founders, Vorta and Jem'hader.
    >Garak should have had a spin-off.

I'm off to sleep now. I will give detailed thoughts on the show as you guys respond. I hope you guys have some comments.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait to hear the details! :techman:

18. Lt. LaForge

I enjoyed it, dub. At first, I thought it would be horrible. How wrong I was.

I don't know why Dr. Bashir gets a lot of flack. I liked him from the very start. His friendliness and approachability were a stark contrast to his station-mates. I liked how he went after Dax and failed miserably (until the S7 ret-con).

Speaking of Jadzia Dax, I failed to find an affinity with her. She was too "every-woman" for me. I find it a stretch to believe that a symbiont's memories can translate into the ability to wield a Bat'leth...and more than hold ones own against seasoned Klingon warriors. It's akin to me watching lots of martial arts instructional videos without training and going out to hand Anderson Silva an ass-whopping. I am in the middle opinion-wise regarding her marriage to our much loved Klingon.

The Odo-Quark dynamic was amazing from beginning to end. It added much needed comic relief to an otherwise serious drama series. It was a success in a franchise that failed at that particular aspect.

Now, the Dominion War. What a fascinating saga. I felt all warm and tingly inside watching it play out. This is exactly how I felt watching the Xindi arc in Enterprise...high praise (in my opinion) indeed. Sisko was fantastic here. How Garak got the Romulans involved, with Sisko's blessing was great. The interactions between the Founders/Vorta and the Cardassian's/Breen were excellent.

Jeffery Combs has to be the best guest actor in history.

The Bajoran's are a horrible and boring race. Only Kai Winn and Kira were interesting from them. The Bajoran religion fixation in season 7 was a let-down for me. I hated the whole emissary thing.

Why the hate for Ezri? She's so cute, sweet, adorable, lovable and so nice. I love her.

19. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...I could never, ever suggest that someone skip episodes while watching for the first time. That's what rewatches are for.

Unlike TNG, VOY, and ENT....DS9 is not episodic. It's a continuous, evolving story. You can't really skip any on a first watch!

EDIT: OH DERP! Just saw that you finished it. :lol: Glad you enjoyed it! I disagree with some of your points about the Bajorans and also Dax. And I loved the Prophet/Emissary plotline but dislike how it ended. But anyway glad you liked it!

Agreed on Jeffrey Combs. He is one of the best, if not the best, guest actors. I have to give super major props to Andrew Robinson as Garak and Marc Alaimo as Dukat though.

Meh Ezri is cute but it was annoying that Jadzia Dax gets killed off RIGHT before the show is about to end (I know it was Terry Farrell's choice but they were so close to being done!). I cried so hard when she died...because she had just gotten married, etc. :(

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  20. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

I agree. Storyteller for example, standalone episode (until the post-finale books), but is important for the Bashir/OBrien and Nog/Jake relationships. Even Babel has a bit of the fallout from Cardassia and the Bajoran Resistance

I think Move Along Home is the only one that could be skipped, despite having the first aliens from the gamma quadrant!