Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mr Silver, Dec 24, 2012.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This. :cool:

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I guess that could be the exception!!

Having her pass out and easily be captured is waaaay better than her fighting with the Klingons and then getting captured--if you're Bennett or Nimoy.

3. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

It irks me somewhat that Saavik wasn't the one to take the phaser and go "find out" who the hunting party were. After all, she's a Starfleet officer, trained to defend herself and navigate many different hostile situations. David was nothing more than a civilian scientist with a short temper and a lack of self control (Saavik had to tackle him to the ground in TWOK, so he didn't get himself killed by Terrell). He couldn't hold his own against his middle-aged father, much less a Klingon officer - who easily bested him physically and then killed him with one swift plunge of a dagger.

Yes, Saavik had to be there for Spock's Pon Farr, but it wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion that he'd experience it. Saavik should have gone to investigate the approaching enemy, she might have actually managed to reduce their numbers before being captured (Kruge was adamant about keeping them alive because he wanted answers about Genesis). All David managed to do was get beaten up and dragged back to the camp by the scruff of his neck.

The logical thing to do would would be for the Starfleet officer to go and scout the enemy, (who actually volunteered!) and that same officer should have pulled rank, had their been any arguments. Saavik acted very illogically.

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally different. Nobody was coming down on Shatner for allowing continuity errors to slip into the final edit. Shatner caught hell for making what was considered by most people to be a crappy film (although I like it).

Neither of the Nimoy directed films were considered failures in the least. STIII was considered a rousing success when it premiered. I still have the print reviews.

5. blueziggy

blueziggy Lieutenant Red Shirt

one thing that irks me about STIII, why is it that the enterprise can "detect" a cloaked bird of prey on a short range scan but cant see that grissom is no where to be found?

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't think they detected it on scan while it was cloaked, Chekov merely caught a glimpse of it before it cloaked.

They identified it visually due to the distortion the cloak gave off.

7. Mr Silver

I'm reminded of something else too. In the space of a few hours, Spock learned how to walk, have sex, and even overpower a Klingon officer - with little or no reference and a completely blank mind.

Sure, people can pick things up pretty fast, but this is verging on ridiculous!

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Saavik did cowgirl.

:)

9. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be in my bunk.

10. Mr Silver

Vulcan doesn't have cows.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

With all the talk of "continuity errors", why has nobody mentioned Saavik's COMPLETELY (not to mention better) different appearance from one film to the next??

12. Mr Silver

She got a perm.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's called recasting.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I know, but we're nitpicking continuity errors here, so....

15. Mr Silver

You would have thought that Starfleet would have maintained a heavy military presence in the sector, to prevent people who "shouldn't be there", being there...

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Well, yeah. But then you don't have a movie...

17. Mr Silver

I swear that it's going to get to the point where I re-write the entire 2285 trilogy, just to factor in common sense.

I reckon I could tell a better overall story, hell I reckon everybody posting in this thread could tell a better overall story. Think about it as modding a video game...

18. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Consult the Project Rho Web site, and begin with the page on "cloaking devices."

After that, there is excellent material on radiation, weapons, FTL, etc, but sadly nothing about McGuffin Casket Latches. For that, one must turn to the TV Tropes Wiki.

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    While I don't agree that Robin Curtis was better than Kirstie Alley, here is my explanation for the change:

[​IMG]

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a little surgical help, Saavik underwent the ancient "Ponn-Face" ritual.