Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Besides, I might have jumped the gun if the story turns out to be incorrect.

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Ah ha. Found it. They removed the story and put it back up without the "Official" Since it is still unconfirmed by EA and Bioware.

New Link

3. Skywalker

Thanks for digging that up. :techman:

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

No problem. :)

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I can't see that eating up several months worth of development. Unless there's more to it than they showed at E3 all they're really doing is mapping voice commands to certain, already present functions. It's not as if they're retooling the gameplay mechanics so the player has to flail their arms in mid-air to scan for minerals...hmm, maybe I shouldn't be giving them ideas!

6. Skywalker

Great, now I'm going to have nightmares of that very scenario. :lol:

Still, it does feel to me more like Kinect was EA/Microsoft's idea than BioWare's.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was almost certainly Microsoft's idea as they are pushing all the studios to find ways to use Kinect with their games. Notch, the guy that made Minecraft, said that when he signed a deal with MS to bring Minecraft to the 360, they insisted on it containing Kinect functionality and he agreed because they offered him a shit-tonne of money. He still has no idea how Kinect will work with the game, nor does MS or the studio that's making the port, but MS wanted it in there so that they could announce another Kinect game at E3. :rolleyes:

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think that pretty much sums up why these motion control peripherals are probably going to ultimately fail to gain a foothold. They keep coming up with these gimmicky new control interfaces without having a clear idea as to how they're supposed to relate to the software. I mean game controllers weren't just some lucky fluke. Several decades of trial and error have gone into designing a device that directly links a brain to moving images on a screen by way of the thumbs.

I happen to think that the technology behind Kinect has a lot of potential, I'm just not sure the home console market is the best place for it.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Oh God yes, we need head tracking for the romance parts.

Get it? Head tracking! Hehehe.

(Please, someone. Shoot me.)

10. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

The whole concept seems incomplete on X Box. With the Wii it made sense as part of the whole idea.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Looks like a high-res image of what looks like the alternate appearance pack from the collector's edition has surfaced. Have to say I'm not really digging them. Ash looks way too feminine for one--I mean come come on, she's still a marine, no?--while Liara looks like she's dressing up as Samara for some cosplay contest. Probably not fair to judge the new character (Vega I think his mane is) just based on this, but the guy looks like a complete meat head, like an NPC that just escaped from Gears of War. Perhaps they're intentionally making him bland and generic to make Kaiden seem interesting by contrast? Speaking of Kaiden, he's the only one that actually looks like himself...all prissy with his gelled hair and designer stubble. :p

12. Skywalker

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The poses in that picture look weird, and it doesn't help that they all seem to have been taken from different angles. I like Kaidan, but Vega looks like Grunt with a mohawk and Liara looks like a ballerina. As for Ashley, I'm justifying her sexy new look as her attempt to win back Benedict Shepard from Miranda. ;)

I just completed my fourth play-through of the games tonight with only Zaeed and Jack surviving. The ship is so lonely. The Crew Deck is actually empty. :lol:

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just keep in mind that Vega's design is far from finalized. The art teams are still iterating his look.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Oh no doubt. I remember how different some of the early footage from both ME1 & 2 differed from the final product and I have no illusions that the development on the third game won't be just as fluid. Still, the direction they're going in does appear to be of the jar-headed cyborg-beefcake persuasion. Perhaps when they announce the voice actor (assuming they haven't already) we'll get a better idea of his characterisation.

Regardless, there's still something about Ash with her hair down that just feels....wrong.

16. Skywalker

I actually really like how she looks with her hair down, but it doesn't really fit in with the persona established in ME1.

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I love the new character designs, I'm surprised to say. Usually I don't deal well with change of any kind. :p

18. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that was Samara. :lol:

Anyway, since it's Bioware, I'm sure it'll turn out that mohawk guy acts tough and looks like a jarhead but really he's all sensative and just needs to be loved *cough*Jack*cough*.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I don't have a problem with the design in and of itself, it just doesn't feel like a 'look' Ash would go for. One of her sisters maybe, but not Ash.

I can't help but wonder if this is at least partly down to Ash being (presumably) the main potential romance option for MaleSheps and they felt a need to feminise her for marketing purposes.

Well to be fair, out of the dozen or so squad mates, Jack had what I think was the most well defined character arc. I mean it was pretty clear from the offset that the tough bitch facade was just a defence mechanism. The only thing about her that disappointed me was how her powers (or lack there of) translated into gameplay. I mean when you first see her, she reduces THREE heavy mechs to scrap metal in just a few seconds before tearing massive holes in the ship's bulkheads. But once you get her on the team she suddenly had a glass jaw and relatively weak biotic abilities. On the higher difficulty levels she's practically useless in a fight.

20. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Yeah Jack was well thought out as characters wen...but then I think all of them were for their roles. I liked/disliked Jack the Most. She was very real...too real at times. Many of use are just like her. I could identify with her pain but I couldn't bring myself to get with her.

To puruse a romatic relationship with Jack would be like cuddling up Loose Canon with a hair trigger. I sympathized for her alot. My Lorenzo Sheppard went a little too far with the interest but ended up with Tali. I always liked her...she was femiine and needy in a more normal way.

If I was a more controling person I wouldn't mind trying to tame Jack and that's why I left if for my Renegade Lief Sheppard .

No matter what Sheppards I was...I kept my hands off the Cheerleader. I didn't like Miranda from Go. Too much attitude, snippy, nagging and a wet cold fish. She couldn't lead if her life depended on it and I played the Suicide Mission and lost her I thought it was perfect.