Is the NuEnterprise's secondary hull one big engine room?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by abaldwin360, May 2, 2013.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That's uncalled-for and it's unnecessarily personal. Cut it out.

WarpFactorZ, all of that needs to go back in the Starship Size Argument thread which I made especially for your use, and it needs to stay there. I do not wish to see all of these other threads turned into Starship Size Argument Auxiliary threads.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

At least it represents a bit more of the clean-room aspect you would expect in such an environment. And you can actually justify having the transparent rig so as to provide visual inspection of the flow. It'd be like having all the medtools of the time, but the doc still taking your pulse by hand, because he can gauge by his natural senses as well as via tools.

Don't see how you can justify the 20th century pipe fittings in any 23rd century context, or why you would want to.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Ooh, ooh, I can explain that, but you have to follow me on a dark journey to my even nerdier days of several years ago. Or just look at the picture below (CliffsNotes version: the fight took place on Deck 9, not the lowest deck of the ship):

[​IMG]

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's my line of thought. That and brewgineering just is stylistically out of sync with the rest of the look of the ship's interior. And it's not the dirt and grim, it just the jump for future tech to modern industrial. You could take the TOS style engine room, redesign it to work with the other interiors style and still have brewgineering underneath all that as being the guts that aren't normally seen.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMO the brewery is the TOS engine room, just on a far bigger scale:
    [​IMG]
    None of the pipes/conduits in TOS, TAS or STV's pipe-filled corridor maze was ever assigned a function (the double vat in the centre had a pop-up dilithium crystal one time, in other episodes that thing wasn't even present), and stories like "Court Martial" implied that engineering was more complex than what the show could afford to depict.

6. abaldwin360

abaldwin360 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I generally like the design of the new Enterprise, the secondary hull kind of has a submarine vibe going, and the primary hull looks like classic trek.

The only part I don't generally like are the nacelles, which would look a lot better IMO if they didn't have the big "hood" looking part in the front.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Yet what I see with your comparison is that TOS has a 'clean' look with things being separated and discrete, whereas the other thing just has busywork (like the jungle gym diagonal metal bars, what I think of as the 'backyard swing set' which seems to intentionally get in the way of functionality. It isn't the busywork of the ALIEN universe, that has some kind of 'at least it looks like it works for being on a spaceship' despite all those toggle switches.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Bingeneering was pretty jarring for me at first because we're so used to a consistent design ethic in Trek from bridge to corridors to quarters to engineering, so to travel in seconds from the Apple iBridge to a vast machinery-laden plant out of the third act of every Terminator movie took me by surprise.

But after I thought about it for a while, I wondered, why would you bother with keeping up appearances between such disparate sections of the ship? Is it meant to be functional, or is it meant to impress admirals during inspections? I figured this was simply a more functional, less eye candy filled version of the Enterprise modeled on the USS Kelvin's internal layout after it performed as well as could be expected against a massive new technologically advanced threat to the Federation.

If the higher ups want to be impressed by interior decorating, they can go visit the USS Hilton. The Enterprise is a sports car with state of the art controls and a transparent hood so you can see the engine operating.

[​IMG]

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If so, then the transparent hood is so we can see the hamsters running or their circular treadmill to power the thing ... that'd be in keeping with most of the AbramsEnt lowerdecks fittings looking to be seriously retrograde. The clip from the new movie really just makes it look like every time the ship gets pounded, you're going to be scraping crew off any level they splat against on their way down. At least the guys falling into the core in TWOK and TUC had to work at it a little to actually fall that way, these guys could probably sneeze during a banking maneuver and wind up history.

11. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To get back to the original question, there is a scene in an earlier trailer where the hull ruptures, and hapless redshirts fly into space (at warp). This is apparently in the "lower decks," so we can assume that engineering is flush up against the hull. So, re-iterating my previous assertion, the entire secondary hull is engineering + shuttle bay, especially since they share the same design style.