Dukat and other thoughts while ending Season 5

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain Kathryn, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

VOY is my favorite too...not sure the main reason, but I think because of it's humor. However, DS9 is pretty much tied for first place. It's amazing! I agree I love the recurring characters (namely Garak and Dukat). TNG is my third fave I suppose. I have yet to watch ENT and haven't finished TOS. I will get to those soon enough though. I'm going to watch all Trek this year. I burned through all 7 seasons of VOY in 2 months and am nearly finished DS9 in 1 month.

2. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Dayyy-om! You're off to a good start, then. My best friend used to be staunchly anti-Trek when we were younger, and thought I was such a nerd for liking it. But a couple years ago, I convinced her to give it a chance, and now she and her husband have watched all of the series, and are going through TNG for the second time. I think Data is her personal hero. :D

I've watched all of them except ENT, and I'm remedying that right now. I watched the first two seasons when they first aired, but I lost interest. I don't remember much about it, but so far I haven't been too impressed with it. However, I can't just not watch a Trek series! It goes against everything in me. :lol:

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't watched TOS since I was a bairn and part of me doesn't really want to as I have such fond memories of it, if I watched it now my memories and nostalgia might be ruined.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woah.. that's a lot of Trekkin. You ought to be done with DS9 in a week at that pace! ;)

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing they don't blame Damar for killing Ziyal because he did what soldiers are supposed to do and executed an admitted traitor.

6. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

DS9 still remains the greatest TV show I have ever seen in my life - bar none!

I run a twice-weekly Star Trek Club at the school where I work and we finished watching DS9 a couple of months ago. It's quite astonishing to think how old it is now because it doesn't look dated one little bit. It's as sharp and crucial and fresh-looking as any sci-fi show that's been produced since DS9 finished. I still cry at that beautiful final shot when season 7 draws to a close. The Pocket Book novels that carried the story on were also excellent.

Now, on to Dukat. I must admit that I too thought of Dukat as a bit of a 'pinball character' when I first watched the series. He's a military dictator then a put-upon soldier and family man then a freedom fighter then a coup leader then a defacto president then
    a madman then a religious zealot
    . At the time it felt like the writers didn't really know where they wanted to take the character but it all does make a sort of sense when you look at his journey across all seven seasons. In the end, he was a fabulous character who was so well portrayed by Marc Alaimo. DS9 wouldn't have been the same without him. :cardie:

As for Jake, now he was a difficult character to write for! I was glad when he stayed aboard the station when Starfleet fled as it was perfectly logical (from his own viewpoint - his assumption of safety being provided by his being the son of The Emissary) and it gave him something better to do than mixing stew in Grandpa's restaurant for the remainder of the war! :)

Glad you're enjoying DS9.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Casey Biggs was initially disappointed with Damar's first appearance in Season 4, but he was promised the writers had plans for him and they followed through. It must have been a rewarding experience for Biggs to start as a minor character, and become increasingly important to the overall plot.

8. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

There's a reason the station is called Deep Space Nine, even though it's a hop, skip, and a jump away from the core of the Federation.

9. R. Star

Definitely. Damar changes both in terms of significance, starting out as a mere lackey and surpassing his mentor and in actual character too. Though I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for redemption stories.

10. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

DS9 did in the end ruin rich and complex characters like Dukat and Winn. But well, even Picard went down the drain when Stewart direly wanted to drive a buggy.

11. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

"Frontier medicine". ;)

12. Captain Kathryn

Ok...if I thought Dukat was crazed during Season 5... Season 7 Dukat is just.... whoaaaaaa.... :eek:

I only have about 6 episodes left. I think I'll finish them by tomorrow.

I like how Damar is getting f**king sick of the Dominion and wants out. It's obvious he has also developed a drinking problem. :lol:

But, Dukat.... wow....

13. R. Star

Dukat's like a comic book villain. No matter how many times you beat him, no matter how far down he goes, he manages to come back to threaten the good guys, usually becoming more crazy in the process. There's still a lot more crazy in him if you're only part of the way through the ending episode arc. ;)

Damar... I don't want to spoil anything, but a lot of his problems will come to a head soon. Not to mention he has what I think is the most hilarious moment in Trek, maybe you've already seen it but the line about talking to Worf again. :)

14. Captain Kathryn

I'm on Strange Befellows Part 3 now. I don't think I saw the part you are referring to yet?

Damar is getting more awesome as time goes on though. He keeps guzzling Kanar and hating on Weyoun and the Founders. He's about to lose it.

About Dukat...The Pah Wraiths seem to be responsible for most of Dukat's wrongdoings in Season 7 though... if they had never taken over his body in the previous season (I think it was Season 5 or 6) he would have never turned into such a madman.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  15. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

^ I love Damar in S7. He was a good character before S7, but by the end of S7 I thought he was awesome.

I don't want to spoil anything for you...but hopefully you will like what is still to come for Damar.

16. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

You mean towards the end of Season 7? Well, to be fair, they did have more important things to do, and they didn't want to jeopardize them by bringing up old arguments.

17. Captain Kathryn

Kira did mention it when Sisko asked her to go help Damar with his resistance.

18. Captain Kathryn

I'm watching Extreme Measures now and I get the feeling that there has been Bashir/O'Brien slashfic written based on this scene:

O'BRIEN: That's what'll upset her the most. She always said I liked you more than I liked her.
    BASHIR: That's ridiculous.
    O'BRIEN: Right. Yeah.
    BASHIR: Well maybe you do, a bit more.
    O'BRIEN: What? Are you crazy? She's my wife. I love her.
    BASHIR: Of course you love her. She's your wife.
    O'BRIEN: Yeah.
    BASHIR: I'm just saying maybe you like me a bit more, that's all.
    O'BRIEN: I do not.
    BASHIR: You spend more time with me.
    O'BRIEN: We work together.
    BASHIR: We have more in common.
    O'BRIEN: Julian, you are starting to annoy me.
    BASHIR: Darts, racquetball, Vic's lounge, the Alamo. Need I go on?