Oblivion (2013) rumors, news, photos until release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I guess I never understood why people hate Tom Crusie. I like him. I like many of the movies he is in.

I think the hatred toward him doesn't have much to do with his acting.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't like him at all, I shudder to think what goes on inside his head.

I do like quite a few of his films though, Rain Man and Collateral being my two favourite, really fantastic performance from him in both films. I don't know how people can say he isn't a talented actor. He does rely on his "suddenly exploding into crazy eyed nutter" routine too much, but when he breaks out of that, he can be great.

This movie looks pretty cool, too.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't even remember the last Tom Cruise movie I saw, apart from the IMAX movie about the International Space Station (he was the narrator).

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. He might be a weird person, but he does good movies, and this looks like it will be one of them.

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

My biggest issue with Cruise is that he tends to be like Jim Carrey in his movies -- after a while, they stop being the character, but instead just become "Tom Cruise/Jim Carrey pretending to be a character". *gertch*

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cruise is in a lot better shape than most 37 year-olds.

8. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I was planning on watching this anyway, but I got more interested in it when I found out it was by the Tron Legacy director. Hopefully it has a cool score!

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well this is out now in the UK (I see its not out in the US till next Friday)

Saw it today. Hmm, Oblivion? Yeah I think that's where the plot went.
    What a mess. I was thinking about looking it up on wiki when I got home to try and understand what was going on, but to be honest I can't even be bothered.
    Also if you've seen the trailers, or even know who the other big name actor in it is besides Tom Cruise, you're just spending the first hour waiting for the obvious "twist."

Some nice visuals at least. I'm surprised it wasn't in 3D really

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Some great visuals.

Other mentionable points about the movie?

Tom Cruise managed roughly 2 different facial expressions.

The story was more or less Wall-E with the twist of
    The Island. Also, perhaps someone can explain to me where the hell Jack got the second escape pod from at the end?

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

You can bounce a quarter on his ass, or so I'm told....

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

How much does he charge for this privilege? Or is it that he pays?

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured out the plot twists a few minutes before each one struck, but they took three misdirects common with science fiction and glued them together with some degree of credibility.

Oblivion wasn't awful, and the accent from "Victoria" was a hell of a lot smoother than the one she usually uses... Too smooth.

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Hell, I saw it last night and liked it a lot. I personally could've done without Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise for the 10th movie in a row, but If *I* could overlook it for once I'm sure its not that big of a deal.

I really enjoyed the story however. Even if I was watching it and thinking "This IS a video game." The way the story unravelled itself and the action beats seemed very video game-ish in my opinion. Not that that is a bad thing. I also felt that if this were a TV series spread over a season or 2 the revelations would have been more jaw dropping and mind blowing. While I found the various twists interesting, they were a tad predictable and lumped on top of each other which kind of robbed each one of its full impact I feel. But STILL, I loved the film, I'd give its a solid A.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like my idea of the plot twist was a bust...

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Women are as disgusting as men.

When Morgan said thousands of Tom Cruises attacked the Earth, you know what they were thinking.

(Surely Morgan should have said hundreds of thousands (in total), or Thousands in each drop ship?)

Stables of Tom Cruise shaped sex toys waiting patiently in their closet till they get home from a hard days work in need of some Tom Cruise shaped attention from half a dozen directions.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The empty pod from the crash site, the drones only destroyed the ones with people in.
    There was nothing new or original there but I enjoyed it enough.

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree.

I just got back from seeing it, I really liked it. Although...

So I'm assuming 52 and 49 weren't the only ones on Earth, what will happen with the others? Will Julia fall in love with all of them? I also wonder why Sally didn't realise that 49 was in 52's vehicle.