Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of Andreas Katsulas, I always hear his voice whenever Ambassador Jetanian is speaking.

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feared something like that. To be honest, I'm a horrible fit for a casting thread, but I figured maybe I'd get lucky. Beyond gender, age and maybe pose/stature physical descriptions mostly don't register with me while reading, and then I sort of automatically make up my own mental image by matching up on attitude and preconceived patterns. Even knowing the above, my mental Sandesjo will continue to look like Raymund.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I've never read a Stargazer novel, and the only stories featuring Gilaad Ben Zoma I've ever read were "What Dreams May Come" (from Tales of the Dominion War) and Part I of The Buried Age. I don't recall seeing a description of him in either one, but I honestly just assumed that he was an Israeli and probably looked Middle Eastern.

Of course, it occurs to me that between cultures mixing, increased immigration, and the presence of groups like Beta Israel, it's entirely plausible to have an African American playing an Israeli.

Having a different interpretation of the character than her author isn't necessarily a bad thing.

4. Sho

Sure, but if the author actually describes the character physically and I just go ahead and gloss over that, that might be seen as lazy by some.

That said, I went back to Harbinger real quick, and found this:

This might help carry my Raymund association a bit, since she sometimes had (fairly dark, admittedly) auburn-ish hair on Good Wife. For example: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm747015680/nm2834669

Unlike Heigl, who is usually seen with blonde hair.

Edit: You gotta admit, she fits the Klingon mold: http://assets.hdfreewallpaper.info/...00x1200/monica-raymund-maskiert-1600x1200.jpg - of course that might be cause to call it a bad disguise :D.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, she may have been a Klingon, but she was undercover as a human with a Swedish surname, which suggest she was given a Nordic appearance.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Reunion--the book that first introduced Picard's old crew--I think was where he got the idea from.

7. Christopher

"Gilaad Ben Zoma" is an Israeli name, although "Gilaad" can be Arabic as well. I think the reason some people think he's black is because when he appeared in a flashback in DC's TNG comic, the colorist gave him very dark skin for some reason. But I chalk that up to a coloring error.

I tend to imagine Oded Fehr as Ben Zoma.

8. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
  9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Not unlike how the cover of that Mission Gamma book confused a lot of people about the ethnicity of Prynn Tenmei.

Oded Fehr in anything can only be for the good.

10. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

11. Christopher

I don't think Terrence Howard would make the best anything.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^He'll be replaced by Don Cheadle for the sequel anyway.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

14. Sho

My mental picture of Quinn is John C. Reilly, btw. (I'm sure completely inaccurately again.)

15. Mysterio

Mysterio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I always envisioned Agam Darshi for the role.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1570191/

16. Joel_Kirk

17. Christopher

Despite the colorist's odd choice, it's clear to me that the way artist Deryl Skelton drew ben Zoma's features in that issue is not consistent with a "black" ethnicity. His hair is straight (or slightly wavy) rather than tightly curled, which is kind of a dead giveaway. And his features look more Middle Eastern or Mediterranean to me. Maybe the idea was for him to be of Arab ethnicity, to have a skin tone similar to Julian Bashir's. But back then, comic-book color palettes were more limited and some attempts to represent ethnicities other than "white" or "black" could be awkward. (There are some DC TOS comics from just a few years earlier where Sulu's skin is a rather garish shade of orange.)

18. Joel_Kirk

Well, you can't marginalize or generalize all black men.

Some of us black men do wear our hair "wavy" as a style. The aforementioned, Billy Dee Williams still does to this day, as do other black male actors. Not too mention the mixed-race black individuals (be they half-Asian, half-Caucasian, half-Latino, etc.) who will gain certain features from both parents.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  19. Christopher

What? I'm not trying to do anything of the sort -- it's a ridiculous and insulting suggestion. I'm just saying that his features -- and I did include his facial structure in the discussion, not just his hair -- did not look "black" to me, but rather Middle Eastern or Mediterranean. I think that too many Americans are brought up to see ethnicity purely in "black-and-white" terms and fail to realize that there are a lot of ethnic groups on this planet that have brown skin. I'm arguing against marginalization -- the marginalization of ethnic groups other than the ones that Americans perceive as "white" and "black."

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's fair to note that not all black men have tightly curled hair, but it's completely unfair to Christopher to accuse him of trying to marginalize anyone. He's having a difference of opinion about what the creative intent was in the depiction of a character, not trying to perpetuate the oppression of African Americans.