Children of the Storm? (SPOILERS for "Mere Mortals")

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by historypeats, Jun 17, 2009.

1. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was there ever a follow-up to these guys in the trilogy? It seemed like a giant "NOTICE NOW/SAVE FOR LATER" in the middle of that book, and I'm wondering if I just misread it. Were they meant to be a red herring for the evolved form of the other lost Caeliar group (prior to the big Borg reveal), or was that a seed for something in the future?

2. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Just a narrative detour that might or might not be revisited if/when a story takes us back to that part of the Delta Quadrant...

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the appearance of the Children of the Storm also served as a gleam of hope, a reminder that the Borg aren't invulnerable.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

If someone could so kind as to remind of who the "Children of the Storm" are exactly?

5. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were a civilization which destroyed the Borg. It also appeared they had unusual ships possibly using thought to go to warp if I correctly call. They also recommend the Federation leave the area immediately.

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Do you remember which page of Mere Mortals this appearance starts on? Now i'm curious :vulcan:. I really need to re-read the trilogy soon!

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

To add to the previous description, they had evolved in the atmosphere of a gas giant. I imagined them as telepathic jellyfish, much like a picture in Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

8. Allyn Gibson

Chapter 10. Starts on page 213.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kinda like her maybe?

10. Allyn Gibson

Too much surface area for a jovian atmosphere. ;)

I was thinking specifically of the painting here that accompanies a lengthy article on the lifeforms that Sagan and Edwin Salpeter speculated could have evolved in a Jovian atmosphere. There's another image here, about halfway down the page of a zeppelin-like creature that could float in a Jovian atmosphere.

Their original article is here.