Is the 1960s THE OUTER LIMITS the greatest of all sci-fi shows?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by david g, Sep 7, 2009.

1. david g

david g Commodore Commodore

IOf course, nothing holds a candle to TOS, or for that matter, The Twilight Zone. In terms of sheer charm. But...

I'm sitting down to watch all of these episodes, most for the first time (on DVD), and I am just in awe of how great they are. Probing, moving, and often really creepy, well-acted and very well written, with Dominic Frontiere's music a terrific complement.

Any other fans? Another question: is the contemporary version any good?

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I own all the episodes as well..the "remake" is inferior for the most part..it does have it's moments, but failed to catch the spirit of the original...

My favorite episodes..
    A Feasibility Study
    The Chameleon
    The Invisibles
    O.B.I.T
    The Hundred Days of the Dragon
    The Children of Spider County
    The Human Factor
    I, Robot
    Demon With a Glass Hand.
    Soldier

There are some stinkers..yet almost all of the others are good passable science fiction..

Highest Neilson rated episode was
    Specimen:Unknown

there were several unproduced scripts that have been released and more can be found at the following websites..
    http://www.theouterlimits.com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outer_Limits_(1963_TV_series)

http://www.innermind.com/outerlimits/

3. david g

david g Commodore Commodore

Hey Goldbug, thanks for your post. i havent yet seen many of the episodes you mention, so I cant wait to do so. Wasnt crazy about 100 YEARS OF THE DRAGON and its orientalist stereotypes, but it's effectively creepy.

I have loved The Human Element, The Borderlands, Controlled Experiment, The Galaxy Being, and many of the others.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've been sitting down and slowly watching and reviewing the series. So far I have only seen four episodes (50 minute installments are harder to fit in than 25 minute episodes of The Twilight Zone, which I have also been enjoying). There's a thread down the way in this forum. So far, I've seen a lot of interesting, well-intentioned things. One episode, 'The Architects of Fear,' came fairly close to perfection. But I haven't seen an hour that stood out as excellent yet. I know a lot of people praise this series highly, so I'm going to keep at it.

5. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

The only episodes of the remake Outer Limits that I actually enjoyed very much where the ones with the time traveling guy with the watch/camera and maybe two or three others.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that overall the original Outer Limits is inferior to Trek TOS - certain The Twilight Zone is not. They're very different formats...

7. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'd call it the best. Even though it mixed all sorts of genres, I think Twilight Zone is probably still the greatest of all American SF shows. At the risk of sounding fanboyish, I need to name Doctor Who in terms of worldwide due to its scope and longevity - not to mention its infinite possibilities. But I would put Outer Limits up there near the top, for certain.

Alex

8. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    As great and groundbreaking as TZone was, it will never hold the place in my heart that original Outer Limits has, ever since I was six years old, watching reruns on Saturday afternoons.

That opening sequence alone...: "Do not attempt to adjust your television set...For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all you see and hear." I would not more for the next hour. I was afraid to even go to the bathroom during the commercials! (Hey, I was six...) :cool:

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

What did any of you think of "Nightmare"? I just watched that one. Great cast...including James Shigeta, Martin Sheen, and Whit Bissell.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Original Outer Limits is tied with Star Trek for my all-time favorite show. The remake had a few good episodes, but didn't capture the ambiance of the original. Twilight Zone is a close second in quality (although it certainly has the advantage in quantity). Those were good times. I started watching the re-runs in 1969 when Channel 56 ran it at noon on Saturdays. I would watch while eating leftover spare ribs from Friday night Chinese food. Sigh.

In school one time, for Arts & Crafts, they taught us how to make stuffed animals. I made the little guy from "Behold, Eck." :rommie: