Vanguard Book 4 - Open Secrets

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cbspock, Jun 21, 2014.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good thing I don't have to wait for the next book, since Book 3 ends with several cliffhangers. lol. I really like the addition of movie characters, and movie characters we heard about but never saw like Admiral Nogura. Book 4 wastes no time with the opening of the story at the time of Errand of Mercy.

I like how the book weaves in events and characters from the series it makes TOS feel like it took place in a real big universe.

Can't wait to see how events in book 4 play out, and how far does the Genesis of the Genesis Device go in the book series?

-Chris

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Genesis does not appear. Just the ...genesis...of the project and the tools needed by Doctor's Marcus to complete the task.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

The revelation regarding where investigation of the Taurus Meta-Genome would lead is one of my favourite surprises in Trek Lit. I must admit that it never occurred to me until Carol Marcus showed up in Reap The Whirlwind. That was a wonderful "oh, of course!" moment for me.

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also assume since they keep mentioning one of the characters on the Endeavor has relatives on Denava they are foreshadowing the repercussions of "Operation Annihilate". I did like in book 3 they actually followed through with a General 24 order, and now Reyes is having to deal with his decision to give the order. Who needs a freaking Death Star when a Constitution Class starship can waste the surface of the planet.

I also liked the tip of the hat to the old FASA game with the Loknar class and the Saladin Class destroyer in book 4.

-Chris