Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kaych, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Pulse phasers to compensate for the lack of photon torpedoes for some reason?

2. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a vague resemblance to an Edoan but this guy has something of a sinister air, no?

3. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

I like this ship more and more everytime I see it. I still think that the phaser turrets are some sort of CIWS emplacements. From the pictures of them firing, the pulses seem too small to do any damage to a bigger ship. I'd bet that they chew up fighters and incoming weapons like rawhide. They might do some damage to a larger ship at very close range, when fired enmasse at the same spot, but otherwise, they just look weak to me. Kinda like the 5" guns to the USS Missouri's 16 inchers...which is what the ball turret phasers would be.

4. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise fired pulse phasers before in the original series episode, Balance of Terror.

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

So is there or is there not an interior shot of Kelvin's bridge?

I can't get the fwtrwtwt site to load...

6. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

From what you can see of the Kelvin's staff, it looks like the uniforms are a little to the ones shown in the trailer for the Enterprise crew.

7. Kaych

Kaych Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There issn't. There are only the pictures I posted, and the 3D model viewer.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Will Captain Robau capture Tony Stark and force him to build the Jericho missile?

9. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's possible but I imagine the are only putting up what they are being asked to put up with all the available info Paramount supplies them.

10. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, the spinning view of the ship does not mention photon torpedoes either, nor does the Kelvin seem to have torpedo hard-points located on its hull. With the way the promotional material is worded, it does seem as if the phaser turrets do have a selectable firing model which according to the diagram allows the turrets to, "fire bolts (not beams) of highly concentrated energy, or beams of less power to slice through the shield or hull of an attacking vessel." It seems pretty clear that the bolts do more damage per discharge (slower rate of fire?) than the beam, which sounds like it would be used primarily to drain shields and take out specific parts of a ship without destroying it. Maybe phaser bolts are envisioned as precursors to photon torpedoes, or maybe they are designed to replace them entirely.

11. TOSTNGDS9VOYENT

TOSTNGDS9VOYENT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although canon doesn't apply to this movie and I don't really care either way, But before ENT came along, I thought the general concensus was that early TOS and pre-TOS era ships used Lasers. Have we pretty much nullified that as not canon because it was only mentioned in one episode? The first time I saw the turrets on the Kelvin I thought that they were probably laser emitters because of the era, but now I see that they went with phasers afterall.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Should be better now.

13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

The Kelvin looks pretty good for a single-nacelle ship.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Although, iirc, that specific visual effect was later reused as photon torpedoes, so it's a bit ambiguous, to be honest.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Cage references hand lasers, but the weapons mounted on the Enterprise were never identified by name. Also, although it might seem wrong from a modern perspective, there's nothing indicating that lasers and phasers weren't used simultaneously.

16. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not the number of nacelles, it's how you use it. ;)

17. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

since the kelvin is sposeta be the opening scene of the movie does that mean the movie doesnt really start in 24th century?

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

That has always been fan speculation. No one involved in the film has ever suggested that the film starts in the 24th century.

20. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    You know, even though I KNEW Kim from "Home and Away" was playing George Kirk, it STILL made me angry when I saw his picture.

For Americans, this would be like Susan Lucci being cast as Betsy Ross or one of your other highly vaunted female historical figures.

It is just REALLY odd.