star trek and power records

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by stationzebra, Dec 23, 2012.

1. stationzebra

stationzebra Ensign Red Shirt

anyone remember the old power records from the 70s.? the ones where you could read along with the record with a comic book? well i picked up a couple of star trek ones.VERY STRANGE! the voices are all someone else,and sulu is a black guy and uhura is white and has pants on with her miniskirt! but the art is great as i think it was done by comic legend neal adams.:lol:

2. stationzebra

yes those are the ones.i have the 45 versions of passsage; and crier" the dr mcoy voice is done pretty well, it does sound alot like dee kelly at times.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not gonna say these are available on youtube... but these are available on youtube. :)

4. stationzebra

yes but thats not the same as holding it in your hand, the paper! the ink! the broken needles! ah yes the good ol days!

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The scripts done by Alan Dean Foster, when he was also adapting Filmation's TAS episodes for Ballantine, included M'ress in "Passage to Moauv" and, apparently, Arex in "The Crier in Emptiness". There was some legal doubt as to whether Power Records' comic art could use Filmation's characters, so Caitian Lt M'Ress was drawn and coloured to resemble a character more like Yvonne Craig's green Orion from TOS, but still called a Caitian, - and the Edoan, Lt Arex, was replaced and redrawn as the new "Mr Connors", a blond caucasian human. At the same time, they recoloured Sulu and Uhura.

Notice how Connors has an awkward stance at times, indicating that an extra arm and leg have been erased. His name also overlaps the speech balloon border at times. (A "paste-up" over the word "Arex"?) He still owns an Edoan elisiar, though. How does he play it with only four limbs?

[​IMG]
    The Crier in Emptiness by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Passage to Moauv by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

6. stationzebra

yes conners also has a russion accent, shades of you know who!

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When the book/comic was reprinted as a tie-in to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", Willard Decker was on the new cover and, at first, I thought it was meant to be him!