Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess Hollywood is tough on the young and vulnerable :(

But she's okay now, that's what's important.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Every time I watch through Babylon 5, I'm glued to it for the first four seasons then don't make it through the fifth.

The fifth season of Babylon 5 was kind of like the eighth season of DS9, where they continued the random unresolved threads after the resolution of the Dominion war, without Sisko or Odo, and with Worf taking on a diminished role and a new captain who was never strongly defined as a character.

Oh wait, they didn't do that, because they're smart. ;)

The Ori seasons of Stargate sucked too.

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

While the first part of the season is uneven, to not watch the end of the Londo/G'Kar arc is to really shortchange yourself. Me, I love the stand-alones that we wouldn't have gotten without a fifth season, too.

Jan

4. teacake

Season 5 was full of huge stories.

Lennier..

G'Kar and Londo.

OH the sadness of the finale :(

5. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The random threads that have been building for five seasons?
    If you skip her episodes I suppose...

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

They did, sort of, although both Odo and Sisko do return eventually. Unfortunately editorial changes at Pocket Books have caused some hiccups in what used to be a fantastic developing story.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first part of the fifth season is a bit duff, but there's always Day of the Dead, and of course the final arc of episodes is as good as anything that's come before it IMO. Sleeping in Light even now remains one of my favourite hours of television of all time.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never did get around to watching Babylon 5, but I have some time now so I think I'll start. How much interest would there be if I did a watch thread over on the sci-fi board?

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There's always interest in B5 First Watch threads, the more the merrier

10. teacake

I'm always being tempted to rewatch it, go for it.

11. DavidLeeRoth

DavidLeeRoth Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really liked B5 and feel that it was an excellent show. That said, if I had to pick between B5 and DS9, I'd choose the latter.

B5, while mostly great, was a little cheesy at times.

The whole "ZAAH HAH DOOM!" thing was a bit silly, and the Vorlons were about as impressive as a prop from an Ed Wood movie. In terms of production values, the show looked like 1980s-era Dr. Who. BG came out only a few years later, and think about how much better it looked by comparison.

And Zima?
    [​IMG]

All complaining aside, it was a great show with a great cast and it had some some real compelling stories.

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love, love, love Babylon 5. It's one of my absolute favourite shows along with DS9.

I prefer B5's ambition and tendency for experimentation but I'd also say that generally DS9 is better at execution. The Dominion War felt like an actual long-term war whereas the Shadow War seemed to amount to two brief skirmishes.

13. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Basically everything Kosh EVER said is my favorite quote. LOL

Picture a Vorlon and a Breen in the same room. They make similar noises, but Kosh's are more musical. The Breen sound like Transformers transforming every time they talk, but it's still an interesting yet alien noise.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If Sisko was going off on Kosh, telling him the Vorlons need to get off their Encounter suited butts and do something, would Sisko have punched Kosh, like he did Q?

Kosh: Sheridan never hit me :alienblush:

15. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    ^ :D
    I'd be interested to see where he'd choose to punch ;)

16. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Favorite Quote:

"I only signed onto "Babylon 5" because I had heard they already cast all the roles for "Deep Space Nine." God, anybody who was looking to be somebody was more than willing to sell their mother to be a part of "DS9!" I settled for "Babylon 5" because they promised me free pretzels. By-the-way, still waiting on the pretzels thank-you-very-much!" - Bruce Boxleitner (Mirror Universe)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

17. teacake

I'm glad we got Sheridan out of him and not some Federation besotted Captain. Much more interesting.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

During our re-re-re-watch of B5, I really noticed for the first time how rushed season 4 is at times. I mean, I noticed it a bit before, but there were times I felt as if I missed an episode or two, with thing moving ahead so fast some things felt to rushed. Like Garibaldi's situation.

Still loving it though. :D

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well S4 of B5 is a bit rushed due to it not being picked up for a fifth season at that time., so the arcs had to be condesed a tad.

20. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't follow how Garibaldi's situation feels like that. There are quite a few episodes about it and that thread goes through most of the fourth season (with some followup in season five).