WWE - The Undertaker to Retire in 2010

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Hermiod, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

At a WWE house show in Dublin, Ireland, ring announcer Tony Chimmel announced that their next tour of Europe will be the Undertaker's retirement tour - "The Undertaker - Rest in Peace Tour".

The dates suggest his final match will most likely be at Wrestlemania 26.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was a personal favorite of mine WAY back in the day when I watched wrestling. We're talking going around all evil with Paul Bearer.... hrm, did he originally turn face by saving Miss Elizabeth from a chair shot or something?

Those were the days.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they were. I was a huge fan of wrestling right about the time he showed up on the world stage, and he was a lot of fun to watch. His retirement will be the end of an era in wrestling.

J.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Which means he will lose his unbeaten record what is it 18-0 ? because no one retires at the WWE by a happy ending. They should make his last match either against Kane or Austin though go for a match to be remembered...

Undertaker vs. Hogan last match for both would be amazing.

5. Amaris

That would be spectacular, and as much as I don't watch wrestling anymore, if that were a Pay Per View event, I would order it, just to see it happen.

J.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^It needs to be a good match so Hogan (who was generally awful when he was healthy and hasn't gotten any better since he's had repeated hip and knee surgeries) and Austin (who made it very clear he will never wrestle again as one wrong move could leave him in a wheelchair) are out.

The smart money says Cena. Apart from a brief feud when Cena was a heel, they've never really worked together in a long programme. Whether the more traditional fans like him or not, Cena is the biggest star in wrestling today and as soon as he won his first WWE title, he moved to Raw so they've nearly always been apart. They wrestled on Raw once since but that's about it.

Edit - oh, and he made it 17-0 against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 25 in possibly the match of the decade.

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

If it does turn out to be Cena, and he is scripted to defeat the Undertaker, I'd consider that an insult as a wrestling fan. McMahon has come up with some truly insulting angles in the years since the WWE gained a monopoly on the "entertainment business" otherwise known as professional wrestling. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the plan is for WM 26. Cena is only marginally better than Hogan as a wrestler, but nowhere near as good with the mic (which, these days in pro wrestling, is EVERYTHING). For him to be the guy that finally takes down the Undertaker? *sigh* I've never been a fan of Shawn Michaels.... at certain times, it could have been said that I hated the guy.... but at least he has a shitload of talent and would have been the most logical choice the WWE currently has to put a halt to "The Streak." Cena's a flavor-of-the-month whose fifteen minutes should've been up four years ago.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Cena's the only guy big enough to end the streak but I do not want to see him end the streak.

2010...that would be almost 20 years for Taker. Hell of a career. He'd probably go another couple of years if it wasn't for the fact his body is breaking down. Definitel legend.

9. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    This news is WAYYY overdue.

At least I can look forward to not having to watch that stupid 18 minute entry anymore. Actually, what am I talking about? I just fast forward that part anyway.

Take is part of the reason WWE sucks - too many giants who cannot actually wrestle and too many old guys hanging onto the spotlight.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Tulin you are such an angry person :lol: WWE sucks because of the writers and McMahon has it too easy these days. I've not seen WWE in months and this year was first WM I not bothered to watch for past 3 years. Undertaker however is a legend who was never given the WWE betl enough because HHH who yes can wrestle (but still gets way too many good plots) is married to Steph.

11. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

We all know Hogan will never have a last match. He's like Kiss. They give a farewell tour every year.

I haven't watched in years. The writing got to be so stale, boring, and predictable. Even by later WCW standards the writing was bad. HHH was squashing any new potential money maker who he saw as a threat to his top spot because he was married to the bosses daughter. Most of the new main eventers sucked. Most of the entertaining people had left. It wasn't worth my time anymore. I've checked little bits out here and there. But sadly, nothing's changed in 10 years. I really hope another company can take Vince to town soon. I might start watching again. TNA has a lot of good talent, but their production and writing leaves alot to be desired.

12. Amaris

Is it wrong that I want to see more of a focus on wrestling and less of a focus on "tits, money, bling and hoes"? Because what I'm seeing is the latter, and not the former, when I let my remote briefly rest on WWE these days.

J.

13. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It'll be a sad day when he retires. :(

14. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Oh, it's always been that way in the WWF/E. It's just gotten worse as time went on. You used to have big storylines and 5 star matches on TV. Now, they save all that for the Pay Per View. And they had way better actual wrestlers back in the day IMO. But perhaps I'm being nostalgic.

15. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Taker's still one of the best workers in the company and his match with Shawn Michaels was the one highlight on a substandard WrestleMania this year.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Trying to work up care about a steroid-filled "professional" athelete in a manufactured and fake "sport."

Just not getting there.

17. Amaris

I have Wrestlemania VI on VHS. I still love it. THAT was an event. What we have now is as you said, what we used to have on our weekly shows except now you pay $50 to see it on TV as Pay Per View.

J.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

No way. Taker has actually become a much better wrestler these last few years and has wrestled classics with Kurt Angle, Batista, Edge, and HBK. Guys don't usually get better when they get older but Taker has.

He's a legend in the business and will leave a big void when he's goone.

19. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody thinks its a real sport.

FYI, the Enterprise isn't a real spaceship either. :rolleyes:

20. Amaris

And yet, you worked up enough care to try and rain on someone's parade. Come on now, Trekker, you're trying to stir a little.

J.