Heroes 3x22 "Turn and Face the Strange" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

24.5%
  2. Above Average

53.1%
  3. Average

18.4%
  4. Below Average

4.1%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yo, Noah was bookin'!!:lol:

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Poor Noah indeed. Sylar screwed him over but good in every which way.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

My friend complained about the music too. I hadn't noticed it before, but they do play it all the time.

We were having fun playing guess the Sylar tonight. He played that whole thing well. I don't really like the idea that he can delay his healing, but that's a minor point. Danko needs to realize that Noah's right at some point soon or else there's going to be a problem for him.

Speaking of idiots, I was going to call Matt one, but that sorta worked for him kinda (best I can say about him there ;) ). Good job fleshing Danko out slightly more. Of course, he could have shot her in an illusion or, at the very least, taken away Danko's gun when he first got there for when he backed down.

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

What did Noah expect was going to happen (during the "Sylar" confrontation)? His intelligence dropped about fifty IQ points during that scene.

5. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average.

Some decent, not great, bits and several flat moments. Hiro, Ando, Matt, Suresh, Nathan all need to exit the show. Personally if the show comes back I wouldn't mind if it introduces a whole new cast. Let the show truly start from scratch because right now I'm not interested in any of these characters except Angela and Sandra--and I doubt with their age demographics the network is going to fashion a series centered on two interesting older women a la Cagney and Lacey:lol:. If the show doesn't do something radical I have already decided I won't be back for a fourth season.

The silly Hiro bits with the baby weren't charming, cute or endearing--they were silly and dumb. Same goes for the Japanese Texan. And I was just waiting for the truck driver to imply Hiro and Ando were a gay couple. I mean how else do you explain them with a white baby in tow. I could have cared less about Danko and his Russia whore. I had zero interest in their cliched love interest and so I kept hoping Matt would just shoot her and her awful accent--poor actress. Danko is a joke. He has no depth and isn't the least bit interesting as a villianous figure. Clearly there are some parallels between he and Noah but at his peak Noah was interesting. Sylar's plotting is dull although I was glad Noah wasn't duped by the dead body. And I was a little surprised that he didn't consider the possibility Sylar would just play dead.

I felt nothing but boredom with Matt's need for revenge. It probably had to do with another instance of a confrontation with Danko/government and yet another escape. Plus as much as I liked Daphne--Matt and her relationship never had the kind of depth for me to be the least bit invested in Matt's need for revenge.

Of course the more interesting bit was with Coyote Sands but we didn't get to it until predictably the very end and the big shock of a mass grave of bodies was so obvious that it carried very little impact.

I did however appreciate Peter still remembering that Nathan started this whole mess while everyone else acts as if the only transgression he committed was drinking out of the milk carton.

And forgive me but Matt acted as though he didn't kno he had a child out there--in season one he was clearly aware Janice was pregnant. I'm pretty sure I'm right but if not I guess it shows how much I care about the details of this show.

6. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I'm saying above average instead of just average cause I know they're trying and I want to give them something to feel good about.

7. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see much of trying. It feels as aimless as it has been. I really don't understand what happened to the show. How you go from crafting such a beautifully executed and overly complex serialized arc with dozens of characters in season one to not even being able to develop a few interesting plot arcs and character arcs which was far less demanding than what was attempted in the show's freshman year.

These are professional writers that get paid big bucks. I haven't kept up with the behind the scenes stuff but it looks like Kring and his writing staff just stopped caring. Did he get bored? Was the result of studio meddling? If I were NBC I wouldn't be happy that I wasted millions of dollars--because this show isn't cheap-- and added a few more episodes to what is a customarily a smaller episode season for this quality of work.

And while I can slightly feel Fuller at work I still can't say I'm all that impressed by his or Mark Verheiden's role on the series.

Normally a high cast turnover sucks because it changes the whole feel of the show and in most cases that is a bad thing but here I think it is necessary. This show also needs better writing and some clear character and plot arcs.

This season reminds me of Enterprise's second season--nothing bad but not all that great either--just a string of mediocrity. Although thinking back I would say ENT's season two was overall better than Heroes has been this season and "The Expanse" definitely marked a much-improved turnaround for that series. The question is will Fuller be able to do something similar?

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Another good episode; the show is definitely out of the gutter but I'm still looking forward to the end of this volume and a return to super powered villains. I was hoping Matt would have the idea of sending the image of him executing the hooker to Danko but not actually doing it; it would have been a good fake-out to the audience and shown Matt to have some intelligence. ... Jeez am I the only one that still likes Hiro and Ando? They're the much needed comic relief of the show. Without their goofy antics the show would be a little too dark and pretentious.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  9. Dorian Thompson

Dark? This show? Slighty, at times, but nothing too severe IMO. House had a suicide of a main character tonight. NuBSG was open a vein drama every week and my SPN featured its main character torturing someone. Heroes is semi-dark at best. If they'd actually allowed Noah to accidentally kill one of the men I might revise my opinion.

10. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Ditto

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A couple of things I've realized: One, I've never been in the situation to say for sure but if I knew someone fired a gun at me and I knew they'd do it again I would take.them.out. Second, I am getting tired of superheroes constantly on the run/under the thumb from the authorities/government. Not just here but in all media.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Pretty good. I loved Sylar playing mind games with Noah with his shape shifting.

I didn't like the whole Hiro and Ando with baby thing. Maybe now that they've found Matt the writers can give them something to do?

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does sylar morphing into a woman now make him transgendered if not a transvestite?
    How is he able wear Sandra's or any other woman's clothes without it ripping? And uhh, does his junk kind of just go inward and outward when he does change? Has that question ever been discussed in any other medium, like X-men with Mystique or Morph?

14. Dorian Thompson

I would assume that if he morphs into a woman his penis temporarily disappears and he grows a vulva and breasts.

15. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, and it depends.

Some shapeshifters are anatomically correct and fully functional, even able to impregnate when in male form and become pregnant when in female form. Transformation while pregnant is not advised.

For others, it's just a surface change.

The most powerful have such total control over their physical structure that they are effectively both asexual and omnisexed, capable of reproducing without outside help, and of taking taking any role in any act of sexual reproduction without regard to species, or the number of sexes that the species has.

Anyway, I'd say that Sylar isn't transgendered, which implies a psychological identification as female, but could be considered a transsexual when transforming, though it is unlikely that he is fertile. Most likely, his internal organs and gonads remain unchanged.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I was under the impression that Missy Peregrym(sp)'s character from Season 1 was a simple "hollow" image only shapeshifter due to the ease with which she shifted.

Sylar's current ability however looks physically painful and much more than a simple hologram projected to others, it looks like his body undergoes a physical change.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

In this episode Sylar told Danko about how he should get that mole checked you know where, which clearly indicates that this shape-shifting is a perfect physical copy with every single physical facet recreated, so I would say he absolutely grew a giney. :p Missy Peregrym's character only created a physic illusion.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't thought much about it but there's whole avenues of unexplored territory associated with this power I think.

19. Dorian Thompson

Fast nationals are in. It's official--the general public doesn't know or doesn't care about Brian Fuller: 6.05 million viewers. 2.6/6 in the 18-49 demo. Series low. Number 4 in the time slot. Only a repeat of OTH on the CW performed worse.

20. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^too bad, Ive really been enjoying the show since Fuller returned. I was pretty blah about it during parts of the 2nd season(anything with the twins) & the Villains chapter(God I hated Villains) a shame if it gets cancelled right when it seems to be heading on the right track again. Last night I only found the stuff with Hiro/Ando/baby Matt boring. They really need to stop with all this "Im a true hero-manchild" nonsense with Hiro, its gotten sooo old!