Articles of the Federation [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DorkBoy [TM], Mar 17, 2008.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Luckily since that is the first sign of the apocloypse(sp) we won't have to deal with him for too long.:evil:

2. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the time W starts his fifth term he probably will have turned your great country into the beginnings of the Terran Empire *shudders*

3. JeremyW

JeremyW Commander Red Shirt

And then that's when, in his next State of the Union address where Congress and the Senate hears it, he'll tell everybody that he 'loves democracy', loves the United States, and to that end, will create a Grand Army of the Americas to deal with the increasing threat from the terrorists, who he's secretly in cahoots with, and will create the first Terran Empire. Next I expect him to shoot out lightning with his fingers and cut down resistance with a red lightsaber.

But back on topic of sorts....Articles Of The Federation is one of the best books EVER! I loved it. And I can't wait to see in the future if Bacco gets to take on 31 and bring 'em down...it'd only be right.

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Thanks so much! While there are no plans for a direct sequel to Articles, I can assure you that we haven't seen the last of President Bacco or her administration. :evil:

5. JeremyW

I've loved the book since the first time I picked it up...I remember picking it up at the same time I picked up Tales From The Captain's Table. It was a great read on the Greyhound I was taking. It's been in my collection ever since. Keith, loved the writing style. I could totally see The West Wing and I know that was the idea. I'm only sorry the book did not sell as well as we all had hoped so we could see a second pure Bacco book, but whatever you guys do with her will be awesome...maybe something in Destiny, maybe?????????

I find it ironic that you got to be the guy that wrote the first story about Bacco after they outsted Zife, and that you also got to be the guy who wrote the first story for Zife after they ousted Jaresh-Enyo. Dang it....I want to read your eBook BADLY! I tried looking for it on all the major websites, and it's all 404 Errors....really startin' to irk me!

6. KRAD

Heh. Assuming you're referring to Enterprises of Great Pitch and Moment, it's available at the following places:

Powells (Palm, Adobe, MS Reader)
    Fictionwise (Mobipocket, Palm, MS Reader)
    Amazon (Kindle)
    Sony (Sony eReader)

There's also a link at SimonSays, though it doesn't have the eBook available yet...

7. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

and just came out at ereader

I guess this is the signal for me to go and buy this series.

8. JeremyW

Yeah, that's the one. I'll try it again tonight. Thanks. I'm excited to read it.

And I tried Simon Says' links last night and they didn't work...I'll try your links later tonight and hope they work. I'll trust you since you're the author (and I suppose editor too) LOL

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read the book 11 times and it's starting to get a little worn.

It's my favourite Star Trek book, and I'll probably be reading the same copy when I die.

Bring back Bacco!!!

Keep it real

10. KRAD

^ As I said above, we haven't seen the last of Nan Bacco, worry not..........

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:bolian:Woohooo, more Bacco!

12. JeremyW

Sorry Keith...we're all just wacko for Bacco.

But now I'm excited as to where we'll see her next.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes She Can!

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

15. JeremyW

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Articles of the Federation....

I was (as I am a geek) looking up the Wikipedia articles on the various capitol buildings of the world's states. And I came across the article on New Zealand's Parliament House in Wellington, and in particular the Executive Wing, which houses the offices of the Cabinet and the Prime Minister, and which is popularly known as the Beehive. I then looked at the Beehive's official NZ government page. And I immediately thought:

Hey, that's like a miniature version of the Palais de la Concorde!

It's circular. It houses the PM's office and the Cabinet on the top floor, just as the Palais houses the President's and Cabinet's office on the top floor. It has a large Banquet Hall, just like the Palais has the Hiram Roth Dining Room. The basement of the Beehive contains the National Crisis Command Centre, just as the basement of the Palais houses the Monet Room. There's also a television studio and press theatre, akin to the Palais's holoconfrence room.

I'm sure the resemblance is unintentional, but, nonetheless, I found the similarities quite striking!

ETA:

Reread the articles and I was mistaken on the Cabinet and PM's offices. The Cabinet offices are on the top floor and the Prime Minister's office is on the floor below it. Still -- close!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  17. KRAD

^ Completely unintentional, as I didn't know any of that stuff. :lol: Although it's possible Dave did -- he's the one who came up with the cylindrical design and the location of the Palais and put the president's office on the top floor and the war room in the basement. I added more details (like the Roth Dining Room and the exact location of the council chambers and the name "the Monet Room" and other stuff).

18. Kirr

Kirr Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry to ressurrect this topic from the dead, but I figured it was better than starting a new one for the same book. And I'm glad I found this topic anyway, because one of the questions I was going to ask was answered in the responses above.

I just finished Articles of the Federation - and really loved it. I decided to give it a go after hearing about (and getting excited to read) Destiny/A Singular Destiny and all the hints that this administration would be featured in it. Like the original poster, I'm only sorry I didn't read it sooner.

I was curious about a couple of things, the first of which was answered elsewhere - 'was Ross working for Section 31'? Was this plot point only revealed in the novels, or did this actually come from a DS9 episode and I just missed it?

I can tell the whole Zife/Ross thing happened in the 'A Time To' books, which I have to say really got my interest up for those books - I've just been overwhelmed by how many of them there are to catch up on. But maybe this will finally be enough to get me to try them. Is it really necessary to read them all, and in order, or are there more critical/closer linked books in the series?

Finally, I remember that originally KRAD was to write two novels 'A Time for War' and 'A Time for Peace' - but then those (titles as least) got merged together. I'm curious if Articles of the Federation was in any way part of the original plan for 'A Time for Peace' - it just kind of strikes me as fitting that title since that's what we're (for the most part) seeing in Bacco's administration.

Anyway, just wanted add my name to the list of folks who thought this novel was great.

19. KRAD

Thanks so very much!

It actually came from a DS9 episode, specifically "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges."

It's not "necessary" to read any of them. I'd recommend it, as I think it's a very strong miniseries, and it works better if you read them all and watch it all build to a climax. Having said that, if you only care about Tezwa and the Zife/Ross thing, then the last three books are the ones that cover that.

Well, I hadn't actually written a plot yet when it was decided to cut the miniseries from 12 to 9 books and make my finale a single volume, but several plot points that I originally intended to have in the duology wound up in Articles instead. But I can't really point to anything specific, more in terms of vague ideas....

Again, thanks!

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't that her campaign slogan?