Pacific Rim Viral Marketing.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Nov 29, 2012.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

"Mylady.. Kerensky's troops have returned. They are the Clans!"

I got goosebumps back then when i read this :techman:

And i agree.. with todays FX technology having huge Battlemechs fighting it out would be so awesome.. sometimes i wish i was just filthy rich and be able to pay for the production of such movies myself. :lol:

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never watched anime so all of the references people are talking about are lost on me - it looked like an OK dumb actioner along the same lines as transformers - I'd catch it on bluray but I don't think I will go out of my way to pay for a movie ticket.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Looks like a cool tribute to daikaiju films and the giant-mecha genre. Conceptually silly and outre, of course, but that's part of the charm of kaiju films. Yet some of the best ones have an element of gravitas to them at the same time, or at least convey an effective sense of menace and devastation. This looks like it has the potential to capture that.

The kaiju emerging from the depths of the Pacific is a nice tribute to the original explanation for Godzilla's origins (that he was a member of a prehistoric species that had survived in the deepest recesses of the Pacific for millions of years before being displaced/mutated by atomic tests). The way the Jaegers are airlifted into battle reminds me of Kiryu, the Millennium-series version of Mechagodzilla (although those two movies were pretty lame compared to the '90s Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2, one of the all-time classics). I bet there are a lot of other easter eggs and homages too.

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This may be my second most anticipated film of next year after STID... Looks amazing!

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's made my list of potential to-watch blockbusters (along with In Darkness, the next Hobbit and Elysium).

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha, yeah, I completely stopped paying attention to the film after hearing her voice in favour of making Portal jokes to myself.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I love the idea of this but I'm not quite sure how successful the execution will be. I really need to play the Portal games so GlaDOS doesn't get me but I was thinking I'd probably had rather see them do Evangelion.

8. Bishop76

Evangelion is a considerably different feel than it seems like they're trying to go for with this movie...

9. Mr. Adventure

Maybe not by the same team exactly but I guess I'd have like to have seen that (if done any justice).

10. Bishop76

I think Eva is fine in animated form - and even then, it doesn't really hold up all that well. I loved it in the 90s, but it's kind of a huge mess of a series. The movies are retelling it better, but I just don't think it's something that needs a live action version.

It's just a little too full of itself without really saying anything.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, besides both having giant humanoid robots Pacific Rim doesn't look like it's specifically borrowing anything from that series (and indeed, judging from the trailer these robots are being remotely piloted).

It's a mashup, Mecha vs. Kaiju. Guillermo del Toro playing with toys on a huge budget. Could be fun.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, the pilots are actually inside the Jaegers' heads:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3205417/a-bunch-of-jaeger-blueprints-from-pacific-rim/

Actually giant mecha have been part of the daikaiju genre for decades now, going back as far as the alien robot Moguera in the 1957 The Mysterians. The first battle between a living daikaiju and a giant mecha was probably in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla in the '70s. The original Mechagodzilla was a robot built by evil aliens, but the second and third incarnations were both human-operated military robots for battling Godzilla -- the '90s version had pilots inside and the '00s version was remotely operated from a nearby jet. There was also the '90s version of MOGUERA in the abysmal Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, which was the successor to the piloted Mechagodzilla from the previous movie. It was combined from two separate vehicles, Sentai-style. There was also Mechani-Kong in King Kong Escapes in the '60s, the Ultraman-like Jet Jaguar in the '70s, and the cyborg Mecha-King Ghidorah in the '90s.

So while there's been cross-pollination between the kaiju and mecha genres for decades, I think it's fair to say that Pacific Rim is a straight-up kaiju homage.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Each pilot wears a suit that connects their brains and nervous systems to a central computer in the robot. The two pilots act in synchronicity to control the robots from inside the head.

I think this is going to be one heck of a fun movie.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That one brief shot of the pilots operating the mecha -was anyone else reminded of Robot Jox?

15. Mr. Adventure

Sounds modern to me! :)

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

MTV has started doing a bunch of trailer commentaries where they bring the director of a movie with a new trailer and discuss it with them. They just did one with GDT for Pacific Rim.
    Interesting bits:
    The scene of the girl with the jets flying past here is a scene from Mako Mori's (Rinko Kikuchi) origin flashback.
    The Kaiju attacking San Fransisco is the first Kaiju attack ever.
    The narration is the opening narration.
    We will get to see what is on the other side of the portal the Kaiju are coming out of.

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Heh. :lol: That would certainly be interesting, though the Clan invasion was a fairly late turn of events in the overall Battletech chronology. Assuming for the sake of argument that it would be successful, it would also be interesting to see a film set during the fall of the Star League or early Succession Wars, to lead up to the Clans returning.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hipster entertainment! :D

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

And the hand punch was from Robot Jox too.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    If only they'd had those mechas around during Cloverfield. :) Looking forward to this, especially if del Toro pulls out a sucker punch or two (from the trailer you'd imagine it might just be: monsters attack, robots defend, monsters die. Billions cheer. The end).