STEAM Winter Sale

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jax, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

All I've bought is Shadow Warrior. I doubt I'll pick up anything else. I have this huge backlog already.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My Steam sale is now in double figures quite a few indie games and still I've spent less than a 360/PS4 game would cost on launch or soon after.

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got 3 games, only one of them for me so far. I got Dawn of War II: Retribution for two friends and got myself Dawn of War II, which for one reason or another I lacked.

4. Robert Maxwell

The Dawn of War games are good. Nice choice. :techman:

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Damn voting, getting me invested in games and then not winning. Lots of games I'd gladly pay $2 for, but don't want to spend 6. Plus, all these small transactions are starting to add up. At some point, I need to buy the XCOM expansion, which will cost real money.

6. Robert Maxwell

I'm sure I'll pick up that expansion at some point, but not for $20.

7. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

If you haven't bought FTL yet, huge recommendation from me.

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah I feel the same way. I voted for Dear Esther. Sadly, it didn't win :(

Did pick up Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut though. Now that Total War: Rome II is on sale for 30 bucks I'm tempted though I have yet to hear great things about the game.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's weird, but as it turns out it'll actually be cheaper for me to buy the Deus Ex DC after the sale is over. Apparently the sale price supersedes the owner's discount rather than stacking on top of it.

If I'm honest I'm not sure it's something they should even be charging for at all, since I gather all it does is fix all the broken boss fights and add a commentary track. :shrug:

On an unrelated note, I just bought Skyrim Legendary edition as it was cheaper than getting the DLC separately. Go figure.

10. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

DE:HE - DE also integrates the dlc into the main game...
    Bought XCOM + expansion for €25 saturday for my brother(his steam profile isn't fully set-up) and i picked up Rise Of The Triad for €2,79...
    Both flash-sales...

11. Robert Maxwell

The Director's Cut also has better graphics.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I voted for that as well. The winning game looks ok, though, although it wasn't my first choice.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

...which I already own.

Define "better graphics" because on a PC, graphical fidelity is only really limited (broadly speaking) by the hardware & texture resolutions, and Hi-res texture packs are things most developers put up as a free download. Generally, the only reason the game comes with lower quality textures in the first place is because most AAA games are optimised for consoles.

I know I really shouldn't gripe, not a lot of game developers would even bother to do something like this at all and it's probably too much to expect Squeenix to behave like CD Projekt RED...and yet I can't shake the feeling that they're essentially charging for a patch.

As for the sale, I was tempted by Final Fantasy VII the other day since I never did play any games in the series and I'm curious to see what all the fuss have been about...but I suspect it probably hasn't aged very well looking at the screen shots.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  14. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Left 4 Dead 2 is free on Steam through 10:00 AM PST tomorrow. If you can get Steam to load, anyway: the giveaway seems to have knocked the servers for a loop.

15. Robert Maxwell

Is that what caused it? You'd think they would have their capacity issues under control by now. It's not as if they don't have time to prepare for these things.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Been really light on this sale. I think I gifted a copy of Papers, Please, and purchased a copy of Guacamelee for myself. But I have been playing that on my new Vita, it's been fun enough to double dip with the "Gold" edition, and it's cheaper than buying the PlayStation DLC for it I guess. A friend gifted me a copy of Starbound, which was mighty nice of him.

Really only thing I am thinking of grabbing is the XCOM expansion. Seeing if there is a flash sale, otherwise looking to grab it on the final day. Considered the latest Arkham but it will be cheaper in 6 months and I am in no hurry to play it so... Oh and I need that last Civ V expansion that got all the rave reviews, so if that goes on a flash sale I'm in. So I can finally start playing that game :lol:

Oh I grabbed Gnomoria for 2 bucks, because hey why not?

17. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Picked up Van Helsing today for €5,09...
    Looks like a nice diablo/torchlight clone...

18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed Toki Tori on sale for 90% off. I was going to buy that, but apparently there's a bundle that includes all 4 of the developer's games. I went with that.

I ended up buying Rush, Edge, Toki Tori, and Toki Tori 2+. I have no idea what the first two games are, but I'm sure they'll be fun. I've always loved puzzle games.

19. Robert Maxwell

EDGE is a lot of fun. Imagine Marble Madness but with cubes instead of marbles.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

A friend gifted me The Cave. So far I've only purchased the season pass for The Wolf Among Us, though I'm currently thinking about Dust: An Elysian Tail and Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons.