(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

0-0. England will play cautiously and fail to break the US down, then, just as they start to get some rhythm going, Fabio will start making random substitutions.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So far looks like...

Hart

???, Terry, Ferdinand, ???

Beckham, Lampard, ???, ???

Rooney & Ashton

I hope Walcott gets the 2nd half to play on the right wing and then Bentley can start the next game. Also I think Barry will start with Lampard and J.Cole on the left though I would personally play Young for tonight.

Also expect to see Gabby Agbonlahor come on at somepoint for Ashton most likely.

3. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Telegraph has this for the line-up:
    I doubt seriously the US will line up anything like this.

[​IMG]

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ Hope thats not true because...

Brown is not a natural rightback and we have friendlies for a reason to test out new players. Glen Johnson should start at right back since he's fresher and Wes Brown was poor in Capello's first two games in charge.

Gerrard and Lampard is tried and failed and only should be applied when chasing a game or playing a small team who don't pose a threat and USA do NOT fall into that category so I want to see Barry or Hargreaves with Lampard tonight.

We all know J.Cole is our best attacking player at the moment so we don't need to see much of him in the next 2 games and Ashley Young should start.

James is good but prone to 1 mistake minimum per ENG game, so let Hart have a go or give Carson a 2nd chance. Injury free, Kirkland is the best ENGLAND keeper until FOSTER gets more experience anyway.

Fabio needs to start using friendly games properly by testing new players with a mix of regular players.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

He, Jaqua is actually part of the US team?
    I kind of like him, and he played a good season here in Austria. But honestly, the quality of our league is absolutely miserable, and he played in one of the worst teams of the league. I'm surprised that earned him a spot on the US team.

Does anyone even know him?

6. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In another thread, this was my guess on how the Americans will line up. Lewis may replace Cherundolo, Beasley for Adu and Hejduk for Pearce. We'll see soon.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

England squad in...

James

Brown Terry Ferdinand Cole

Beckham Hargreaves Lampard Gerrard

Rooney Defoe

Even if we win that side is pathetic...Becks in great but no header of the ball like ASHTON, oh and GERRARD PLAYIGN WHERE.

the sound of...You don't know what your doing comes ot mind.

8. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good lineup. Though Bocanegra at CB always make me nervous.

9. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

It's just a friendly, at the end of the season no less. I think Capello is entitled to do what he wants here. Maybe it'll pay off, maybe it won't, but it's hardly the World Cup Final.

10. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't watch the game but from the scoreline I am guessing we probably played like crap.

In other news Galliani have finally sold Gilardino to Fiorentina. I have to celebrate this with a pint of Guinness.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Fabio has excused seven players who played in the Champions League final from the trip to Trinidad. Only Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Bridge travel.

So, my team would be:

Hart - GK

Johnson - RB
    Ferdinand - CB
    Woodgate - CB
    Bridge - LB

Young - RM
    Barry - CM
    Gerrard - CM
    Barry - LM

Crouch - ST
    Walcott - ST

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well 2-0 and a better 2nd half performance which is a surprise for ENG but still I wush he would use friendlies to play more fringe players...

James (6) - Had nothing really to do though did not make any mistakes when called upon.

Brown (5) - Easily the weak link at the back and made several shocking passes

Ferdinand (7) - Was solid when needed though Capello's new tactics does not let Ferdinand show his ability on the ball.

Terry (8) - Lead by example and scored a real good header. Stopped everything USA came at him with, best performance for ENG for a while.

A.Cole (7) - Solid display though left to attack all on his own at times due to Gerrard free role.

Beckham (7) - Passing and crossing was solid enough plus setting up Terry's goal capped of a good night.

Hargreaves (7) - Attacking wise needs to improve but he passed well and tackled even better.

Lampard (5) - Not really seen during game, looked a little tired plus Gerrard on the left pushed him to a mundane role not really his fault.

Gerrard (8) - Englands best attacking player and linked up well with Rooney and took his goal with fine finishing. However when pushed to the left wing he could not cross and also left that position a little too much for my liken.

Rooney (6) - Played better than past two games and did well with Gerrard but a few passes were too loose and not greedy enough for me. Too busy setting up people and not shooting.

Defoe (5) - Got into space for the chances but failed everytime, never shown off his pace and did not work that well with Rooney.

subs...

Johnson (6) - Better engine than Brown and a natural right back which showned near end when he made an overlapping attack run.

Barry (7) - Set up Gerrard with a fantastic pass after just coming on and suited the formation better than Lampard.

Bentley (6) - Tried and made 2 decent crosses but rest were a waste. Does not have the threat Beckham does on the ball.

Crouch (5) & J.Cole (5).

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The commentary was rubbish. They all chatted over the game like they were down at the pub.

14. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched it with the sound down and the radio on...

:D

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If you on about Motson and Lawrence, I love there commentary because they are quite honest and Lawrence very blunt at times.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^There's nothing honest about Lawrenson. If you don't play for Liverpool, you may as well be dead because there's no way he's going to acknowledge that you've done anything decent on the pitch.

At least they've drafted in Lee Dixon to remind the audience that teams from the South exist.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I like how blunt and sarchastic he can be when ENG make bad mistakes, hes not scared of not talking incase of losing his job. However I miss Graeme Le Saux a little because he used to work with Motty too and he was very good.

I prefer Ian Wright in the studio over Dixon.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^So did I, but at least we have a non-Northern representative now, someone who doesn't believe that kicking more skillful players to "let them know you're there" is okay. Lineker is just a presenter, he doesn't really offer much of an opinion.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Two bits of news.

Chelsea have sacked Henk ten Cate.

The Scottish Football League have relegated crisis club Gretna to the third division.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

So why don't they get a presenter who knows something about football?