DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Three ongoing Superman titles is excessive. He hasn't sold all too well since the 90s. They could probably cancel one of the badly performing titles.

And the anthology is dead on arrival due to the controversy with Card and of course anthologies never doing too well to begin with.

But the Superman titles in the 90s was a terrible example of that. The shared plot arcs were very weak since the individual books were still written by 4 different writers. I honestly didn't think it worked too well since it was wildly inconsistent, but you still had to read all 4 titles or you would quickly get lost.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Adventures is, like Batman Beyond Unlimited, Ame-Comi Girls, Smallville Season 11, and Legends of the Dark Knight, reprinting the digital-first shorts. Clearly, DC has an economic model that works for them on these digital-first reprints, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing them.

The best thing about the Card imbroglio is that now people know that there's an Adventures of Superman comic.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Does someone have a list of the 52 titles ranked in order of copies sold?

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't seen any just DC numbers, but here's the Feb 2013 sales numbers for all companies (selling through Diamond that is).

link

JLA with a little over 300,000 copies is the number one book for the month. Firestorm with 11,100 copies is at the bottom I believe.

7. Hound of UIster

Not just that, but JLA is one of the top selling comics for DC in decades.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it is the comic that most of the individual heroes fans are likely to pick up which would likely allow it to attract the majority of DC's general fanbase.

9. Mike Farley

^This is the NEW JLA, the one without the Big 6. But I'm sure all 20 of us Stargirl fans picked it up. And both of Vibe's.

Edited to add: I will say this: it's somewhat heartening to see 5 books in the top 10 selling over 100,000. Just a few years ago there were months long stretches where not a single book in the top 10 hit 100,000. It's not the boom days of yesteryear, but it's something.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stargirl was a big reason i read JLA. i've liked that character since her ongoing ten years ago.

11. Mike Farley

Stargirl and J'Onn J'onzz are the only reasons I'm getting the next issue. I've loved Courtney since her Star Spangled Kid days.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ugh. Been so painfully busy the last week, week and half I've not had much time to read my books. Anyway, I DID read Batman last night and found it to be a fantastic, fantastic issue. The change of the art style about midway through was jarring but overall the story is good. Love the character of Harper and really, really, hope she gets the Robin role.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The other guy I understand, but why would Geoff Johns need to buy a title with Vibe in it? ;)

14. Hound of UIster

He is from Detroit too. Just like Vibe!

15. Admiral_Young

I finally listened to the Fat Man on Batman Scott Snyder appearance and it was terrific. These are great because Kevin really gets into it with his guests and goes for backstory and what led them to becoming writers, etc. I guess he's picked up a few interviewing techniques from Jen over the years :)

I would really recommend both the Snyder and both Grant Morrison ones. I plan on listening to the Geoff Johns one at some point during the weekend.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've listened to 2 of the 3 Geoff Johns ones so far and they barely touch on Batman but they're still very good. Fatman on Batman is by far my favorite Smodcast since it's entirely about Batman comics/tv/movies :D For the comic writers I'd rank the smodcasts as Morrison - Snyder - Johns - Higgins

17. Admiral_Young

This is an interesting development if true. Rich doesn't state a source for his statement regarding Diggle's supposed departure.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/19/andy-diggle-off-action-comics-already/

Diggle and Daniel obviously have issues in the can already so perhaps this will be announced as a mini-run or something like that before a new creative team is announced...of course if this even ends up being true.

18. Mike Farley

Please tell me that Action isn't going to become as unstable as Superman has been, with the creative team changing every few months.

19. Hound of UIster

Remember, Rich was the one who reported that Diggle would replace Morrison in the first place. It's probably accurate since a lot of BC's stuff come from the Con/Pub scene across the Atlantic.

Likely Daniel pushing to get himself named the writer on Action. This is the third time that DC has bent over backwards to accommodate him.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  20. Admiral_Young

I was thinking that...it does concern me a little bit as Mike Farley stated above. Rich's stuff usually does hit the mark. I wonder what's happened now. LOL