TNG characters in DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DostoyevskyClone, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

There have been a few posts lately about missed opportunities when it came to character crossovers (especially considering the different series overlapped). I was reading about 'These are the Voyages...' yesterday, and it got me thinking about all of the instances when TNG characters have appeared in other Trek shows. I've listed them below, but I haven't in fact seen all of these episodes. I'm really interested to hear everyone's opinions.

How would you rate each of these appearances? Did they add anything to the character? Were they creative, pointless, or somewhere in-between? Did any of these instances strike you as being out of character?

There are other things to be talked about as well. Why do you think Gates McFadden never appeared in any of the other Trek series, while other actors had some memorable moments (Frakes playing Thomas Riker again, etc.)

Picard
    DS9: 'Emissary'
    For me, the most dramatic use of a TNG character outside of TNG. It set up DS9 so well, and it was really interesting to see a protagonist have genuine reasons for NOT liking Picard.

Riker
    DS9: 'Defiant' (as Thomas Riker)
    I thought it was incredibly creative to have Frakes come back to play Thomas Riker. Having the audience believe Frakes was Will - only to reveal him as Tom - was an awesome moment.

Voyager: 'Death Wish'
    Liked the episode. The idea of Riker randomly appearing (via Q) was pretty cool.

Enterprise: 'These are the Voyages...'
    Haven't seen it (I never got into 'Enterprise'). I have watched some of the Riker scenes on YouTube, and it seems forced to me. I just don't buy that Riker watching a holodeck program is what inspired him to talk to Picard. I thought 'The Pegasus' was a very strong TNG episode, and it didn't need additional background. If anything, it took away from the episode.

Data
    Enterprise: 'These are the Voyages...' [voice only]
    Seems a little odd that Spiner was called up to have a voice-only role. In some ways, I guess it's a cool fan moment. I've read what he said, but I haven't seen it in live-action. Worth it or not? Seems a little wasted.

Worf
    DS9: seasons 4-7
    Yeah, this doesn't quite count as a cameo, but I'd still like to hear what people think. I thought Worf fit in well on DS9. His conversation with O'Brien about the glory days on the Enterprise really stands out to me as a TNG moment. I think he was well-developed in DS9.

Geordi
    Voyager: 'Timeless'
    I haven't seen this episode, so comments are definitely welcome. Considering this is Geordi's only appearance outside of TNG, I'd like to hear what your reaction was.

Troi
    Voyager: 'Pathfinder,' 'Life Line,' and 'Inside Man'
    Again, I haven't seen these episodes (I've only watched the first 3 seasons of 'Voyager').

Enterprise: 'These are the Voyages...'
    See my previous comments about Riker.

Crusher
    None! Did writers just have a creative block in how to integrate her into an episode or was there something else at work there?

2. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Loved Geordi in Timeless, a nice little shout-out in an already great episode.

Tom Riker in DS9 was fantastic, good writing that gave the character a nice, unique and compelling viewpoint.

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You forgot Q & the O'Briens. I haven't seen all of the crossovers myself. I honestly think though that Worf & O'Brien really did a lot for the development of DS9. Frankly, they would have been a bit principal character starved without them

4. RisingEmber

RisingEmber Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There is also Vash. :D

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Q, O'Briens and Vash count, then you also have to count in Lwxana Troi (DS9). And Alexander (Worf's son) had also an appearance on DS9 (alltho a different actor played him).

Maybe noteworthy, that DS9 characters appeared on TNG (Bashir, Quark) and there was a kind-of crossover of VOY's Doc Zimmerman in DS9.

Indirect crossovers: The Borg from TNG's "First Contact" and Spiner as Soong appeared on ENT.