This may sound silly, but I can imagine DS9 must've been quite haunted

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by The Rock, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I mean with all of the horrible Bajoran deaths that occurred on it when it was Terok Nor, do you think that a lot of the Bajoran ghosts were angry the way that they died and thus stayed on the station?

To use an example, when they build the new Freedom Tower where the World Trade Center used to be, I know I wouldn't wanna work in that building cause I can imagine it would have quite a lot of paranormal activity, or just a general feeling of sadness from the collective consciousness of its spirits. I mean no disrespect to the victims. I'm just saying.

That is, if you believe in that kind of thing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: This may sound silly, but I can imagine DS9 must've been quite hau

There's no such thing as ghosts.

Also, there was a proposed plot of DS9 where it would appear to be haunted but it turned out that the Cardassians had experimented with Bajoran Children on Terrok Nor to send them into the future to collect information. However the experiments weren't very successful and the ghosts were actually those of those Bajoran children

4. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

Ghosts? How old are you, four? Don't let those con-artists on the Sci-Fi Chanel fool you, ghost do not exist. And as for the post above mine, I can see why that idea died in its cradle. It probably would have been one of the most trite, corny, and heavy-handed Star Trek episodes to ever exist, far worse than even Voyager's Memorial.

5. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

When Bajorans die their pagh joins the Prophets in the Celestial Temple. No ghosts.

6. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll just echo the general 'stop being silly, ghosts aren't real' consensus that appears to exist here.

7. Sandoval

Is that true?

Wouldn't the children just get transported into space since Terok Nor is no longer in Bajoran orbit in the future?

8. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Rather condescending and with a hint of smug know-it-all, don't you think?

People are free to believe in whatever they wish. And believing in "ghosts" makes more sense than believing in "god(s)".

9. Sandoval

Just out of interest, why exactly does it make more sense?

10. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

It may be condescending but it's true, and it isn't smug when it is justified. How does believing in ghosts make more sense than believing in a god? Anyway, people are free to believe in fairies and unicorns and all sorts of nonsense like that, if they wish to live in ignorance, let them.

11. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

It's all a matter of opinion of course but I find the concept of god as it exists in religion to be easily discounted as fiction, especially if you're familiar with all the creation myths and religions across the globe and throughout history. As far as I'm concerned, you if you believe in god than you have to equally believe in the Egyptian, Greek, Norse gods, etc, etc.

As for ghosts, I see them as simply being more plausible if looked at as some form of energy or life we're currently unable to explain with better terminology. But then one could always string together words like "residual psychic energy", "trans-dimensional beings", etc.

I'm not saying that I believe in them. Simply that I find them more plausible. And that I found the four year old comment insulting to the poster.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I find it always curious when people think ghosts should be stupid. Why should ghosts of Bajoran victims terrorize Starfleet and Bajoran personel?

Why should ghosts haunt anyone on Ground Zero?

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously?

People who disect every possible minutia of the lives of the people on a space station in orbit around an alien world 300 years in the future are complaining that "there's no such thing as ghosts" ?

You don't actually get the irony, do you?

14. JarodRussell

That's because there is no irony. Star Trek is science fiction. There are no ghosts in that dojo. And if they are, they are detectable with scientific instruments, and then they are no ghosts anymore.

15. Sandoval

Not really.

Why is discussing, even obsessively discussing a television program in any way akin to whether or not a person believes in ghosts?

I think you need to look up the definition of irony before you use the word again.

16. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The irony is in the fact that you're arguing about the idea that one tiny suggestion within this universe cannot possibly exist while ignoring the fact that NONE OF IT EXISTS.

But if you must have something, then Bajorans clearly believe in ghosts because they have a word for them - borhyas. So who are we to say there aren't ghosts on Deep Space Nine?

17. JarodRussell

The comments were actually directed towards the idea that there are ghosts haunting Ground Zero, which is the real world.

18. Sandoval

Enjoying discussing Star Trek but not believing in ghosts isn't irony, however you wish to describe it.

You're misunderstanding what irony means.

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Humans have a word for ghosts, too! It's ghosts!

And Ro brought that word up in a conversation about how she didn't believe it was possible for her to be one, not that she was one. And ya know what? She wasn't one. She was just out of phase, along with Geordi, who also wasn't a ghost.

20. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Hypocritical then "my fantasies are fine, but yours are dumb"