DVD vs Bluray.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mage, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that all depends on the source dvd. I once borrowed the first season of Torchwood from someone, and it looked horrible when upscaled by my brplayer. On Native, it looked fine. Avatar, same story. It's the encoding or something I guess, or perhaps wether or not it's a dual-layer dvd. I know that the LOTR Extended dvds are dual-layered, and they worked great when upscaled.

It's really not as simple as BR is always better.

2. Mage

I haven't been able to compare TNG dvd with TNG bluray, all I know is that the Bluray for TNG I saw sofar was fantastic. :)

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Oso, I must admit I haven't noticed this at all, but you've got me concerned now! Could you direct me to a particular episode and fade-out so I can compare with my DVD's?

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

It's hard to point out a particular example without watching the whole thing again. The first time I noticed it, I posted about it in the Enterprise BD thread. It was about the episode "Unexpected" ... at 25:34, right after Phlox told Trip that he's pregnant. It might not be significant to most people, but I found it very annoying.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

I've just checked, and you're absolutely right - it's actually quite pronounced unfortunately. The same problem is also present on the TNG "Best Of Both Worlds" standalone BD, but not on the individual episodes in the season 3/4 BD sets - bizarre.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's been a lot of discussion online that a lot of older movies released on blu-ray are having the color grading/timing changed. Often, it seems to bring them in line with the dreaded teal and orange look.

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Or the blue look ... see TWOK.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

ENT was mastered in HD. It neither required a remaster nor upscaling. It was always already in full HD. So, yes, it's the same resolution as the TNG remaster.
    Upscaling adds no new resolution, it just prevents the image from looking like total crap on an HD TV.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The basic thing you need to know: Even though it was filmed in HD, Enteprise is only 480p on DVD. On bluray it will actually be "HD".

RAMA

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^480p on NTSC DVD.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

At best, extremely average HD - comparatively speaking. At worst, well, pretty poor HD IMHO. But yes, HD it is.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Only kind we have here. :lol:

13. Mage

Well, I do have the boxset now, which was a grand total of 42,50 euro, thanks to a discount. :D Image quality is just fine on my blurayplayer set to native and a FullHD 100hz 32" LED TV.

Only thing I need to worry about now is, some reviewers of this boxset have complained that a lot of discs in this set malfunction, with stuttering images or not loading at all. Sofar, into disc three of season 1 and watched In A Mirror Darkly, and everything is fine. So, we'll see what happens.
    I only found out about that after I had purchased the set, fortunatly I bought it at the store I work at, so if anything goes wrong, it's for me to return the set.

14. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspL9_6liA

15. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still like DVD's:) as well. One of my main reasons that I have a 5 disc DVD/CD player and 5 disc player:) isn't availale at this time on Blue Ray at this time. A 5 disc player makes it much easier to watch Seasons of Star Trek:) and other television series.

16. Mage

That sounds handy. :D

It's not that I like DVD better, but over here a season is 40 euros on Bluray, and I could get the entire series on dvd for 42,50. So the math was a lot easier. ;)

If, in a few years time, the blurays become available as a set at a good price, I might go for those. Same reason I haven't bought TNG on bluray yet.