Louisiana petitions Obama for secession.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Girl, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Ok. The election of the Obama-skinned person sitting next to your president does absolutely nothing to dispute the point Maestro made unless you can somehow prove the people who signed this petition also support said person, which you can't.

Or to make it more succint: The election of a non-white politician doesn't mean there's no racism among the electorate of that politician. In fact, it doesn't even necessarily mean the people who voted for him aren't racist to some extent.

I can easily imagine a racist cheering for Michael Vick and listening to Whitney Houston songs (or whatever) and even voting for Mr. Jindal, and still use racial slurs about people on their facebook wall or among friends.
    There's more racists out there than ones going to the trouble of lynching black people.

2. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a good place to make wider point. On the one hand, these are often the same people who want to call Obama a despot who flaunts the Constitution (You know "Gaddhafi, recess appointments when there is no recess, yada yada yada - leave out pertinent information to make a point), but on the other they are petitioning the White House to respond, presumably favorably. How irrational is that?! Those propositions tug in logically opposite directions.

3. Roger Wilco

^^
    It's basically the same effort as a facebook-like, I don't think you can really read that much into it. Or you can't presume the people signing the petition put that much thought into it.

4. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Remember the red button, Agent Jay? I want you to push the red button.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the condescending attitudes displayed here towards states with a minority that want to secede is prevalent, no wonder there are people who want it. I wonder if anyone ever stopped to consider that for a moment.

But that's the common wisdom these days. Insult first, rationalize later, rarely justify.

6. Peacemaker

Condescending? You bet. Mockery? You bet. Guess what, condescension and mockery are context dependent. And in this case, every bit of it is deserved. A lot of these people who are calling for this are, I'm quite sure, the same ones that witter on about how this nation is a Christian nation, etc, etc., etc. In some cases, they even tried to suppress the vote, and now they are upset and feel that their votes somehow didn't count or didn't matter. What a classic example of a reversal of fortune!

What they are proving is their idolatry - they worshiped politics and now they are mad because their brand of politics lost. are now, when they carry on about the taking down your flags in mourning or calling for secession, and acting otherwise like a band of toddlers who are mad and want to take their marbles from the playground because of the mean people who won fair and square, dancing around an idol the same way that the prophets of Jezebel danced around Baal and mutilated themselves just before Elijah called to Yahweh and God actually answered. Let me remind you of their fate: The people saw the truth in that moment, and they seized and had them all killed. Low trust in God (so much for "in God we trust") + high trust in politics = idolatry.

Elijah also mocked them repeatedly as they mutilated themselves as they prayed to Baal. From i Kings 18: At noon Elijah started making fun of them; "Pray louder! Hi is a god! Maybe he is day-dreaming or relieving himself, or perhaps he's gone off on a trip! Or maybe he's sleeping, and you've got to wake him up!" So the prophets prayed louder and cut themselves with knives and daggers, according to their ritual, until blood flowed. They kept on ranting and raving until the middle of the afternoon; but no answer came, not a sound was heard.

Mockery is context dependent. Some don't like the mockery that is being offered. Guess what, they deserve it; that's why they are being mocked. Right now, I agree, because they are acting just like these men. I say to them to "pray harder" and maybe you will be allowed to secede.

I am also very thankful for a pastor in my local church who stood up in his pulpit this past Sunday night and told some of our own congregants that publicly, , and don't for a minute think this is some liberal Presbyterian pastor preaching - we're a PCA church, where you can be Baptist like me and still be part of the congregation, but the governing confession is the Westminster Confession itself. That is hardly a "liberal" church.

7. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we should be more rational about this. Like the people who love their country so much they want to secede because their guy lost *one* election. :rolleyes:

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. Anyone who disagrees with the majority deserves it! Let's take it one step further and shoot them eh? Then we don't have to worry about it anymore! We can have drones do it! Awesome!

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then again, sometimes the stupidity is so prevalent, and clearly on display, that it's difficult to pretend it is anything other than what it is. What fool demands to secede because they didn't get the politician they wanted in an election? An ignorant one, and a willful ignorance at that.

10. Roger Wilco

Yeah, laughing at people who want to form their own country after losing an election totally is exactly the same thing as murdering them.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

If this is how you argue things, don't be surprised when no one takes you seriously.

12. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the main reason for the "mockery" of these types is that they are the same kind of people as the liberals who threaten to move to Canada when a Republican wins. It is a childish tantrum. As has been pointed out, these are internet petitions and not appeals from the state legislature. They cannot be taken seriously until the actual government of the state, and not a bunch of whiners on the internet, formally request secession.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

If the justification of secession is that you're being mocked, then perhaps you deserve to be mocked.

14. Roger Wilco

^^
    Why are you lower-case squiggy now?

15. Peacemaker

Last night I made the mistake of interjecting myself into a conversation about this on Facebook in a friend of my sister's posting on this. She was self-flagellating about the election. Apparently, she's taking down her flag until July 4 to mourn the attack on our Constitution. :rolleyes:

One of the people involved kept talking about how Texas wanted to secede and Texas had gathered (at that time) 35,000 votes on the petition. That was when I intervened and pointed out that "No, 'Texas,' had done no such thing - a group of ignorant citizens who wanted to take their marbles and go home from the playground because they lost the election wanted to secede and did not constitute "Texas." In order to constitute "Texas" the Texas legislature would have to be the body to petition the US.

My sister's friend (who is a Texan) actually had the gall to respond to that and state that "Texas" most certainly had petitioned the Government to secede via the White House, because two legislators in their state favored secession - as if two legislators in the TX legislature who like the idea is responsive to the fact that their legislature is the proper channel and their legislature has not, to date, done so. These people are douchebags that are simply unhinged. "Sore losers" doesn't begin to describe them. I told her that in view of her idol worship and self-flagellation, she would do well to just head down to Main Street on Easter like the Filipinos do, but do so with an effigy of Obama and a cat-o-nine tails and beat herself and moan, for clearly she is already doing that in her heart, figuratively, over her altar to her bank accounts, her political party, and Mitt Romney. May her sin find her out. They deserve every bit of mockery and rebuke they receive.

I also have to really wonder about some of these folks. On the one hand, "America: FUCK YEAH!" We're better than everybody else in the world. We fight all the bad guys, blah, blah, blah. On the other: Your guy doesn't get elected = leave the Union, take your marbles home because of those meanies who won. Just like on the one hand: "USA - FUCK YEAH! Give 'em hell in the trenches - assassinate Bin Laden - have the balls to stand up for freedom, etc, etc." ...On the other, those Marines who aren't afraid of anything will fall apart if there is a homosexual nearby. ... On the one hand "America-FUCK YEAH! Marriage = one man/one woman." On the other -"Gays will ruin marriage for us all. Oh, don't forget to finalize your third divorce." That is precisely what the Right has become. In another time, these were extremes and caricatures. The caricatures have come to real life.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know one of the things about living in a democracy, is that every few years you get to vote some one in or out of office. Not every election is going to go the way you want it to.

17. Squiggy

One of the higher ups made a mistake and now I have to suffer this humiliation.

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^How logical and succinct. Scary!

(Oops, sorry. That was to MacLeod.)

19. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I mock you.

Mock, mock, mock.

20. Squiggy

Then I will break off from the United States and form my own republic.