Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Davison is wearing his jumper (I think).

2. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After seeing the actors in the 50th Anniversary documentaries they just look to old to play the Doctor anymore (besides maybe McGann since we don't know how old he is when he regenerates).

I don't really consider this to be like Spock on TNG or the new Trek movies where the character is older, so it makes sense that an older Leonard Nemoy plays the character again. The Doctor looks a certain way when he regenerates and when the actor is 20-30 years older it just isn't going to work. Peter Davidson looked pretty old in Time Crash and they have to come with a reason he looked so much older.

I do think it would be cool to bring back some of the older Doctor actors as different characters though at some point. Look at Enterprise as an example, season 4 had Brent Spiner, Johnathan Franks and Marina Sirtis. Brent Spiner's roll was pretty awesome as an ancestor of the creator of Data. Johnathan Franks and Marina Sirtis just looked old when they were trying to play their TNG characters. Given the age of the actors it would of been much better if they were on the Enteprise E or Riker's ship for that episode.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, having it be about Riker having just taken command of the Titan and seeking command advice from a Jonathan Archer holoprogram would still have its logic problems but would have made much more since that Riker turning to Jonathan Archer to help him sort through the events of The Pegasus.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Anyone taking command advice from Archer seems a stretch...

5. The Wormhole

I agree. I just think that if they felt for whatever reason the series had to end with Riker consulting with holographic Captain Archer it would have made more sense if it were post-Nemesis. Not only is it better than trying to sandwich things into an episode where Riker shouldn't have had very much free time, you don't have the added distraction of Frakes and Sirtis looking eleven years older than they should.

6. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

They're in it. They've got to be. I can't imagine that they actually WOULDN'T be in it. Moffat, for whatever one thinks about him, is still a total fanboy and I think he would've gotten a few more Doctors in there somehow. Plus, didn't McGann film something recently that everyone assumed would be the BBC America 8th Doctor retrospective, yet he wasn't on that? So it must've been a 50th cameo.

Unless that was a rumor.

7. The Wormhole

That was a rumour.

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

12. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

13. Lonemagpie

14. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Lonemagpie

Saw that earlier- looks like all the Doctor actors, plus a couple of other people, appearing as themselves in something.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

If so, who is Olivia Coleman? Or is that suppose to be Olivia Colman (who doesn't really have much of a connection to Doctor Who)?

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^She has appeared in it, though.

18. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe in the 50th itself? I heard other rumors, a month or so ago, that Matt Smith would also be playing himself in the special.

Yeah, I know - crazy, but I did hear/read about it. Dismissed it though, until just now.

Also, "Sylvester rehearsing his (call? cat? :D) to Steven (Moffat presumably?)".... what the heck?

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like whatever it is will feature the actors as themselves "protesting" that they're not in "The Day of the Doctor," so presumably McCoy will be playing himself in a scene where he phones Moffat to ask about appearing in the special. Or possibly in a scene where he practices for such a phone call; that's a pretty common sitcom device.

This may be what McGann was working on a Matt Smith impression for.

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any appearance from Paul McGann is awesome. ANY.