Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 19, 2013.

1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got back from seeing the movie. Excellent!... except for the ever-growing ship sizes. But alas, move on.

One thing I picked up on, which I haven't heard discussed here yet, was Carol Marcus' comment that Adm. Marcus had been dabbling with transwarp technology -- and hence why he could easily catch the Enterprise. Very nice homage to the Excelsior, and a "what could have been" it it had been designed for nefarious purposes.

Also, as others have pointed out: Scotty crippled it quite easily. The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Vengeance darkly creeping up from behind was that ships money shot of the whole movie!

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised it took so long for them to release a poster of that..

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Huh. Didn't think about that before, but maybe this is what Esteban meant in III when he mentioned Kirk was wrong thinking he could get away with warp drive. Khan's line echoes this quite nicely.

Vengeance is the Evil Excelcior.

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The 2009 bluray special features for the Narada said it was capable of transwarp drive. If the NuEnterprise got sensors scans of the Narada's propulsion system in action. Admiral Marcus/Star Fleet Intelligence/Section 31 could've figured it out. Also they did collect Scotty's transwarp beaming equation from him according to Scotty in the film. Maybe that's how they applied it to the Vengeance.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IMO, the nuEnterprise has transwarp drive* as well given how quickly she can get from place to place. The Vengeance just might have a faster or more powerful version of it.

*Maybe in the Abramsverse, their warp drive is the equivalent of the Prime Universe's transwarp.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or maybe they just throw the word out there because it sounds cool and they're just even more blatant about time and distance only being plot concerns to be overlooked when convenient. ;)

8. C.E. Evans

In a real sense, warp factors have always been pretty much meaningless, essentially technobabble, with no more real thought given to them by the writers than they get subsequently faster from warp one.

The line between Trek's warp drive and Star Wars' hyperdrive continues to blur, but it wasn't very clear to begin with, IMO.

9. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I'm thinking that the Transwarp for the Vengeance came from Scotty (inadvertently). Remember he made the comment "Starfleet took away my transwarp-beaming formula". Most likely the Section 31 engineers and scientist used that for the basis for the new propulsion.

Though, shouldn't it have taken the Enterprise several days to get to Kronos?
    (For that matter, Vulcan should have been a day or two in the 2009 movie)

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ this and remember the NuEnterprise was capable of getting from Vulcan to Earth in what i assume was under an hour in the 2009 movie. Despite the Narada being capable of transwarp, the NuEnterprise was able to leave Vulcan space after the planet's destruction, detour partially to the Lorientian system and then make it to Earth catching up to the Narada moving at warp FOUR! Like wtf. Warp factors move at the speed of plot.

11. C.E. Evans

If we go with the idea that the initial scans of the Narada by the late Starship Kelvin led to major technological changes in the new timeline, then the warp drive of the nuEnterprise may be more than a century ahead of what it was originally.

But it could also be said if it only took NX-01 four days to get to the Klingon homeworld, a significantly faster NCC-1701 should get there in a fraction of the time and to Vulcan in even less time.

12. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

And don't forget, the original Enterprise left the galaxy and the Enterprise-A went to the center!

So really, warp factors are meaningless.

On topic, I think the Vengeance is just really fast. Kirk thought that the Enterprise was the fastest and was surprised that she caught up with her.

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I don't know. The Enterprise manages to catch up to it before they can blow up Earth, so either it's not super fast (it is originally a mining vessel) or Nero was taking his sweet time getting there, for some reason.

14. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I've always imagined that the original Enterprise left the galaxy by traveling perpendicular to the galactic plane - up or down, not out to the rim.

As for going to the center: the less you think about The Final Frontier, the better.

15. anothertrekfan

anothertrekfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

So true.

16. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

If you go back to the original prequel comic, most of the Narada was actually based on Borg technology. Transwarp Drive in the nuVerse could be near or equal to Borg Trans Warp Conduit.

17. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

It was indeed. Also as I stated on another Vengeance thread that when it warped up behind the Enterprise it sounded like a Nazi V1 Buzz Bomb. Take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Q9oAPrvZo

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:eek: Holy crap. They should weaponize that sound. Reminds me of...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs[/yt]

I actually didn't hear any sound from it first viewing, I'll keep an ear open for it next time.

19. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

There is no comparison.

The Vengeance is 1400+ meters long, has a variety of firepower and actually WORKS.

Same cant be said about the tiny little Excelsior which did squat in ST3 and ST6, and served as cannon fodder in many of the pointless battles in DS9.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I wonder if that was the same sound the Cruise War of the Worlds tripods made. In the animated Justice League, we heard a sound from Ggreen Lantern's ring that was used for the new Dr. Who Dalek gun...