DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You shouldn't, but sometimes it's fun :) I will admit to be interested in what Diggle is bringing to the table. I'm willing to give him a chance. Sometimes though it's fun to get away from the more traditional story telling. That's another reason why I love Morrison so much.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Oh, I wasn't calling you, or anyone here in particular, a snob. You were trying to explain it and clear up my confusion. I appreciate that, but it doesn't really help me to appreciate the story any better. There are plenty of absolute die-hard fans of Morrison out there that will defend anything he does to their last breath and viciously berate anyone who says anything bad about him, though. Honestly, I don't hate all of his writing. I actually quite enjoy his Batman, even if R.I.P. and Return of Bruce Wayne did leave me scratching my head at a few points.

I've been sticking with Action hoping for some measure of clarity to come, for this to all start making sense. There have been some isolated moments I've enjoyed, like the Krypto issue. Overall though, it's just been a jumbled mess for me.

3. Admiral_Young

I totally get where you guys are coming from. I've friends that feel the same way about Morrison...speaking of Batman, I'm still nervous for Batman Incorporated #8 next week.

4. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, same here. If the rumors are true, then I will not be a happy Bat-fan come next week. :(

5. Admiral_Young

I'm conflicted insanely about this. I've made no bones about how much I love Damian...but also am aware that Morrison wanted to kill him in the opening arc. It's gonna depend on how Grant handles this with me, but I really hope it doesn't happen, but unfortunately I think all the signs are pointing that it will. :(

6. OdoWanKenobi

The thing is, Damian isn't just Morrison's any more. He's been around for years, has been written by multiple people, and has become a seriously popular character with fans. It is incredibly difficult to introduce a new character in comics and have them be almost universally accepted, and be good enough to stick around. If this is the end for him, then I feel like it's a waste.

7. Admiral_Young

Yeah that's the biggest reason why I'm nervous haha. I don't want him to go yet...especially after he's made so much progression (depending on who has written him) and changed a lot of fans minds! He still obviously has his detractors and haters but not as many.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe fandom's dreams will be answered he'll be replaced by Stephanie Brown. :)

9. Admiral_Young

If only :) Some have speculated that perhaps Harper Row was created to be the "new" Stephanie Brown and that's why editorial refuses to use her. *Shrugs*.

10. OdoWanKenobi

Ha, I think that unlikely. Evidence seems to point to Harper Row being his replacement if he does indeed meet his demise.

11. Admiral_Young

I'm looking forward to seeing her in next month's Batman #18. I've been enjoying her character so far.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank God I'm not the only one. Reading his runs makes me feel like I am reading William S Burroughs.

That said, I like to go back and read from the beginning and it makes more sense.

I just wish to hell he would respect the continuity of other books in the DC universe--I still have not forgiven DC for the Countdown/Final Crisis fiasco.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So, you're saying heroin would help?
    ;)

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i enjoy Morrison's Action Comics, but the storytelling has been very fractured. it jumps around so much that it is hard to remember certain plot points. the only Morrison story that i read and didn't care for was Final Crisis.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As confusing as it is, I enjoy Morrison books... except for Final Crisis. That was a mess. If it'd been it's own little Elseworlds story it would be okay, but not as the big summer tentpole crossover they spent a year building up to.

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wildstorm/DC artist Scott Clark has died.

link

43. Way too young.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if anyone has ever said that, "I got into heroin so I could understand comic books."

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Okay, I just read all the Hell on Earth issues! Ugh, there was a single issue that hadn't come out yet! This is definitely the best non-Morrison New 52 Superman story. I actually care about the story. I love that it's one huge story involving Superman AND Superboy AND Supergirl AND the Justice League!

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

H'El on Earth ends next week with Superman. I agree though this has been a great story (and a lot easier to follow and more coherent than want Morrison's been doing in Action for the last few months) with a great use of Supergirl and Superboy. (I actually find him to be an interesting character!)

I'm only missing one issue of Superboy in the arc and all of my LCS's are out of it so I had to resort to buying an issue off eBay in order to get it. (Wasn't much more than cover price, plus shipping.)

Along the same lines, I liked the use of the JL in the Throne of Atlantis storyline in Aquaman/Justice League. Almost to the point where I may continue to follow Justice League.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I like Morrison's storytelling. The fact that you get a lot out of going back and rereading gives you more bang for your buck.