Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that's not the same wig they were referring to. They said it was grey, and it was for his auditions. Also, I don't think they would have used one with such a receding hairline, since they were trying to hide the baldness all together. (as opposed to making him seem younger but still balding, as in "Violations")

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Picard really needs Bluetooth-wearing lessons.

3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Didn't catch that about the color. Just found this image...

[​IMG]

:lol:

4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha, thats pretty close to what I had imagined.

5. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Never saw this brought up; was Troi's "mood flower" fixed in TNG-R Haven? IIRC it didn't change color correctly in the original episode.

6. Trekker4747

Can't say, it's hard for me to watch that episode without ever falling asleep or just wanting to kill myself.

7. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Here's the next installment in the observations series:

"The big goodbye"

Tracking down all the sources of the Dixon Hill pages Data's views on the bridge monitor took quite some time...

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow, great site!

I can see why they are going to only release 2 seasons a year for the TNG blurays. There is still so much work to be done.

9. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Well Damn! Finally had the time to hook up the new Blu-Ray palyer this morning. Turns out our 9 year old Mitsubishi HD TV doesn't have an HDMI port. Had to settle for the composite video connection (yellow RCA jack) and the lower resolution that goes with it. Anybody know of a converter from HDMI to RGB that might give us HD resolution? Just a thought.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Your player doesn't have component (RGB) outs?

11. Trekker4747

Yeah, your player and TV should both at least have component connectors. Those are going to be vastly better than using composite/RCA. And while I'm sure there are "adapters" out there that you're looking for it wouldn't really provide much benefit. Hook it up with component video that'll give you much better results than composite.

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

There aren't any adapters that could take an hdmi signal, convert it to something composite rca would understand and retain the quality. RCA composite simply couldn't handle it.

13. Beatnik

Beatnik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think he's suggesting that the HDMI be converted to composite. He's saying convert it to component. Still, even if he were able to do that (which isn't too hard), the ICT flag is likely enabled, meaning you won't be able to get a true HD signal out of it (it will max out at 480p/540p). Even if the flag isn't enabled, the best you can do on component is 720p or 1080i.

Does your Mits have a DVI port, or just firewire? If it's DVI, you may be OK with a cheap converter (and audio routed separately). There are HDMI-to-Firewire converters, also, but I've never tried them. In either case, the set needs to support HDCP to get an HD signal from the Blu Ray player.

14. Rory1080p

Rory1080p Lieutenant Red Shirt

watching through my copy now :D picture/audio is so much better than it used to be!

it's so clear! I like Season One so really enjoying watching it through again :)

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

You're doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you don't go out and get a TV with HDMI (or component at the very least). Running through composite defeats the entire purpose! Good luck.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are there TV's getting cheaper with the HDMI ports these days? Everything is either flatscreen or the highest quality now (LCD, LED, Plasma) but I'm going to be in a position (Hopefully in a few years) where I will need to buy a Blu-Ray player and TV and wonder how expensive that will be.

17. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

While I can't know if it's 100%, I would say 99.9% of flat screens 32 in and above have at least one HDMI port (most have at least two). You can get a 40-50 incher for 500 or less depending on the given sale of the week. Of course bigger brands (i.e., Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc.) will be pricier, but you can get a reasonably sized mid range flat screen and a blue ray player for about 5-600 bucks if you catch the sales of the week online and at the big box stores.

Also check slickdeals.net. I've been going there for years.

I mentioned this earlier, but I truly believe that until one has a 1080p full HD set connected via HDMI to blu ray, you're really cheating yourself out of all the remastered set has to offer. It's night and day.

18. Trekker4747

HDMI is pretty standard right now, my HDTV has, like, four of them and single composite/RCA connector and maybe two component.

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sure you can. I own both a 720p and 1080p 32" set and a 40" 1080p set. When feeding the 32" sets with 1080p material, you can definitely tell a difference.

Of course, only some video games and Blu-ray offer full 1080p material for viewing. So if you're using your TV for viewing cable/OTA material, 720p is sufficient.