Dare I Continue? (please avoid spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by AdmiralScreed, Jul 3, 2013.

1. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

So last summer I started Enterprise. This was coming off watching all of TNG, all of DS9, over 5 seasons of VOY, and a couple dozen or so episodes of TOS. Enterprise felt a little stale to me at the time. The writing didn't seem to be any better than what I'd been getting on VOY, and the cast seemed rather bland. So I just kind of drifted away from it. Anyway, in the year since then I've finished VOY and decided I don't like TOS enough to watch anymore of that show.....but I still want new Trek! Even though ENT wasn't particularly exciting I don't remember it being that bad. I was close to about 20 episodes through the first season when I called it quits. Does the show improve enough to warrant a continuation?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Re: Dare I Continue?

Yes it does improve. Stick with it! The first two seasons really are stale. As if there was no incentive after VOY to change things up structurally accept by placing it in a different time. By season 3 a fire was lit under the asses of the producers and the show turns its self around. Admittedly not the best Trek has to offer but better than its first two seasons.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the first two seasons for the most part are just plain awful. There are a few good ones where they get it right, but overall... meh. Season 3 gets better, and season 4 is actually pretty good with some rather large exceptions.

It's worth watching through at least once if you've exhausted the other Trek material.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season one and two are pedestrian, though you can work backward and make it full of foreshadowing never intended by the writers.

Season 3 is one long story arc, very exciting.

Season 4 is full of double and triple episodes, very good stuff!

Gird your ears and go for it AdmScreed! You will be rewarded.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It definantly gets better in S3 and S4. S4 really starts laying the foundation for how the Federation came into being.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

S1 and S2 are terrible, with only one or two alright episodes in each. S3 is where they get going and S4 has a lot of enjoyable fanwank in it :)

Unfortunately Archer still seems to think he can pontificate with the best of them, but grit you teeth and you'll get through them--fortunately none of them are about gazelles.

7. teacake

Hey AdmScreed will you be starting a "Does it get any better" review thread for ENT?

8. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Season 2 has some good episodes too after a fashion. At least the second half gets it quite right.
    All the seasons end in a cliffhanger which is concluded in the first episodes of the following season (except for Season 2 which is concluded by the whole following season).

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Or to be different you could title it "Please don't tell me if it gets worse". :p

10. teacake

Or you could just call it "I WILL KNOCK YOU ON YOUR ASS". You know, a legacy thread.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

By all means, continue. While season 2 has its hits and misses, the year long arc in season 3 is very good and season 4 is quite fun. The real disappointment in season 4 is the way they ended the series but if you are into the books I would end the last episode right away with book "The Good That Men Do". Go for it and have fun.

12. AdmiralScreed

Hmmmmm...........maybe..............:klingon:

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just do what I do when thinking of ENT, after "Terra Prime" there were no more episodes. It makes for a far more fulfilling series :)

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But he was talking to the franchise... and he did it. ;)

15. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Supposedly it was the missing connection from the start of the whole show. No show can start without a cameo from a show before. They though TNG might be a good choice. It was the worst possible choice.

So I agree, watching the season 4 until the very last episode is a good idea. Skipping the last episode is an even better idea. At least ending the show does not leaves a taste of ashes.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes continue. It's Star Trek, and therefore automatically beats anything else on TV. Even bad Star Trek is better than anything else. Seasons 1 and 2 have some pretty good episodes, but overall, feel like VOYAGER seasons 8 and 9. Season 3 is the biggest waste of a storyline in Star Trek history, but I won't say more than that. You decide. Season four is what the show should have been from the beginning.

And of course, if you can sit through 80 odd hours of that pompus-ass-jackass- jerk-moron-idiot Trip Tucker, the single biggest worthless loser in the history of Star Trek characters, you can put up with anything.....

17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

If I skip season 1 en 2 do I miss many important episode's?

18. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Yes, many. Better to watch it all. At least half of the episodes should be interesting to you, I would say.

19. AdmiralScreed

Alright, I'm going for it. Here are two I just watched:

Rogue Planet: Dull, but I am so happy to be watching new Star Trek again that I don't really care! Hunting is bad, I guess??? Especially if the species being hunted can transform into hot women from your wildest dreams???
    4/10

Acquisition: Fun spaceship heist episode with the Ferengi......not much more, but enough comedic moments to keep it going.
    5/10

20. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

I found the last season to the best :/