Better Call Saul, the TV series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A bit late for April Fools, so I'm assuming this is legit.

A dark comedy about an outlandish scumbag lawyer? Could work.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnHtGgVAUE[/yt]

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh PS, I don't consider this a spoiler that Saul survives the series, because there's every chance this loopy idea is misdirection and they do plan to kill him off... ;)

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He dies. They do a prequel. No biggy.

That would be hilarious.

Having characters dead and alive, Walter even, walking through Saul's periphery ALMOST intersecting with his life.

4. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This could be funny. Saul Goodman is in my top three Breaking Bad characters. As long as they keep the humor in Saul's typical scummy antics and not make it slapstick or anything, I'd definitely be up to watching it.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh my god, I LOVE Saul. I was just posting about this character on another board in reference to this lawyer who was recntly busted for bringing cocaine (for one of his client's) into a California prison. I thought, this is Saul, a criminal attorney.

If this is a comedy, it has to be dark. Looking forward to it.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Who else is super-hyped?

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The reviews have been stellar so I'm looking forward to it.

8. Guy Gardener

Fricking called it!

Past me is so much more on the ball than now me.

9. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Hi, Guy. Could you explain what you mean? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're trying to say: Are you saying Saul died? (If so, I must've missed it. Or is that a prediction, which wouldn't be a bad one, I might add. :))

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.

I like the music they gave the two skaters.

Oh!

And the creators get bonus points for using Tony "Scarface" Montana's mom as the older lady at the end! Did you guys pick up on that?

10. JirinPanthosa

He's referring to Tucco's appearance in the last scene.

That is some pretty terrible luck. :)

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Always good to see my hometown on the screen.. I'm surprised they didn't give it an "older" look, considering this is set in the years prior to Breaking Bad. Though I noticed most of the police cars predate APD's current use of black at white Dodge Chargers. So points for that.

Toward the end, when the skaters are heading into the house with the old lady, they ponder what she means when she says "Mijo," which is a combination of "Mi hito" or "My son."... Most of us who live here, Hispanic or not, have a modicum of knowledge of Spanish/Spanglish and how it's used in the vernacular... So for them not to know what she was saying was a little doubtful...

That, however, is a minor nit-pick and something only residents here would pick up on . I really enjoyed the show, otherwise... A good start to what I hope will be a successful run.

For those of you wishing to understand a little bit more about how we talk here in the Q, I present to you "S**t Burquenos Say"

And there is a Part 2, which you can click on afterward. :)

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That was a lot of fun. Good to have Saul back, even if that's not his real name. Mike, too, even if it was only one scene so far. I didn't expect Tuco coming back, so that was a pleasant surprise. :lol:

13. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

IIRC they also used pretty old flip-phone models.

14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. ;) I love the opening Saul now and then thinking back to the prequel happenings. Excellent potential for cameos from so many. Maybe, Walter, Gus, Hank, et.al. :beer::biggrin:

15. Guy Gardener

This is a 2 year old thread.

My post where I said that this is a prequel where he will bump into dead people like Mike is from "April 9 2013, 10:45 PM " which is probably before the final episode of Breaking Bad, so it was a time in out lives when we didn't know if Saul was going to live or die, or even if Walter was going to live or die.

It turns out that Saul was never alive. Just some guy called Robert.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQHQvtIr6w[/yt]

16. JirinPanthosa

Most of the characters from Breaking Bad would be difficult to include without breaking continuity. Mike was established to have met Saul prior to the series. However, Saul had no idea who Gus was, only that there existed a big meth dealer who Mike knew. So, Gus can show up, but he can never meet Saul. Or if they do meet, Gus has to be completely in 'Cordial community leader' mode.

Also, Walter and Jesse can never meet Saul.

He can, however, meet pre-stroke Deo.

And now that I think about it, anybody in the DEA is fair game, including Hank and Steve Gomez. They clearly already hated Saul.

Was that Cinnabon black and white part at the start from after Breaking Bad? It seemed like what his life was like after being disappeared.

I wonder how close to Breaking Bad chronology the show will get. If the series finale will end on Saul meeting Badger.

17. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It's unfortunate that all the discussion has to revolve around who can cameo. I mean, I know the series in itself is pretty gimmicky, but is that the extent of the discussion to be had about the show? Is that what we have to look forward to? It would be nice if the show could blaze its own trail.

So far, the premiere didn't really strike me as anything that engaging. Breaking Bad's premiere grabbed you almost right away, and left you wanting more. Right now it's hard to see where everything is going and what the purpose is. Hopefully it picks up a bit more.

18. JirinPanthosa

Nobody's focusing only on the cameos, Ryan, just it's the easiest thing to talk about.

I agree the show's not all that exciting so far. It's pretty much laying the groundwork of things we already know about Saul.

19. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't be so sure about that. go back and watch the early episodes of BB again. it took a while to really get going. hype will do that to our memory of things :)

20. Guy Gardener

I said "Heeeey, it's Juilo from Major Crimes!" ...Tick ...Tick ...Tick?

Wasn't Juilo in a goodbye montage during the final episodes of talking Bad because... Um? It's coming to me... JULIO IS TUCO!

The first Druglord lording it over Walter who got blown up with fulminated mercury.

(And then shot dead by Hank.)

Goooooood times.

(Gosh I'm slow.)

(No, I didn't just figure it out, but it did take me 30 seconds, which is 29 seconds longer than it should have.)