"The Magnificent Ferengi"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Rom's Sehlat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Discuss the episode here.

• Ferengi "Eliminators"
    Are these professional assassins? I suppose they exist primarily for other Ferengi. Do they take out the competition? I would hate to meet one in person.

• the whole Ferengi vs. Jem'Hadar
    The Ferengi were intended to be the main opposing power in TNG. Because they were too comical, they were adjusted to minor annoyances. Here, these minor annoyances take on the Jem'Hadar and their Vorta, Iggy Pop! I think this episode was hilarious. Quark's manipulation of the whole process was amazing. I'm glad they have a Starfleet-experienced person there (Nog) and a killer-type (the Eliminator). Brunt and Gaila were sissies. But then, most Ferengi don't go around facing soldiers and killing and so on.

• Empok Nor again
    I liked seeing the station again. IIRC, this was before Dukat's failed Bajoran cult scam. The big, empty "building" feel of the place was on the mark here. It was a like a prisoner exchange between two intelligence agencies in Mission: Impossible or something.

This is one of my favorite episodes. It's so amusing. The transceiver jamming at the end is great. So they leave Keevan (the scum, even for a Vorta) smacking into a wall.

I tend to like Ferengi episodes. I think they're very entertaining and usually non-bloody episodes (e.g. no war scenes, etc.).

2. heavylids

heavylids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really love this episode. Iggy Pop as a Vorta is fucking awesome. I can't believe he was even cast for a role in Star Trek.

I also love Ferengi episodes. They help contrast the dark dramatic elements of DS9.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I love that it's one of the funniest episodes DS9 did, but also one of the most grotesquely macabre. They have a rotting corpse walking around, controlled by evil Dr. Nog.

"Bring me more neurostimulators!"

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the Ferengi comedy episodes. I know a lot of people who don't, but whatever... I think they're hilarious.

5. Lrrr

Lrrr Ensign Red Shirt

I love the Ferengi episodes too (except for "Prophet and Lace") and "The Magnificent Ferengi" is my favorite of them. I didn't realize that the Vorta was Iggy Pop right away. I knew there was something oddly familiar and familiarly odd about him, but I couldn't put my finger on it right away. It turns out to be a cool little bonus in an already fun episode.

6. heavylids

Does anyone know the story behind Iggy getting cast? Is he a Star Trek fan? I can't imagine that he needed the money.

7. DS9

DS9 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, it was kind of like when Andy Dick and Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine were on Voyager. Casting Andy was kind of weird but Tom Morello was cool because for one he is a cool guy and secondly he is a BIG Trekker.

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Morello was in "Insurrection," though

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I don't think I disliked any of the Ferengi episodes, but this one is possibly the best.

They would make a good fan collection/set.

10. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder just how often Ferengi would use Eliminators against each other. Given their culture, setting a Liquidator against your competition could be seen as far worse than just getting killed, since a Liquidator not only can destroy you, but your family and you then have to live with the shame or even worse in poverty.

An Eliminator would be great for non-Ferengi competition as they don't fall under the FCA, so you can't set the Liquidators on them.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable episode. You have to wonder what Starfleet was hoping to get for giving Quark Keevan since they had no idea (or would even suspect) the Ferengi would get a new Vorta. I guess if Quark told them about Ishka and Zek Starfleet Command thought it would be a good way to seek the Grand Nagus' favour, maybe sway them into aiding in the war against the Dominion.

11. Tomalak

There's something in the Companion about him - I think they'd been trying to work him in for ages and finally found a good part which coincided with a gap in his schedule. I think they talked about him wanting to be an alien rather than just a guy in a Starfleet uniform.

12. heavylids

Andy Dick was fucking awful. I never saw Tom Morello on VOY but if he was an alien it would have been difficult to realize who he was. But I heard someone say years back that someone from RATM was in Insurrection.

13. Tomalak

Mick Fleetwood was in TNG's Manhunt, dressed as a fish head in a giant silver condom.

14. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Leck the Eliminator has got to be the coolest...Ferengi...EVER.

(I sure wish we'd have seen more of him after that....)

Iggy Pop was cool as a Vorta--especially with the epic :wtf: as Keevanstein stumbles up the corridor.

Gaila was oddly enough the wimpiest member of the group--ROM looked tough and efficient compared to him!

And of course, who can forget Keevan's famous last words....

15. DS9

DS9 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, you're right it is Insurrection. My fault! :lol:

16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

One of my favorite DS9 eps. Iggy Pop made a hilarious Vorta.

"I hate Ferengi....."

17. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know Keevan said that when he was shot (by accident), but did Iggy Pop (did he even have a Vorta name?) say that?

One of the Ferengi suggested ambushing some Bolians. Why would he say this? Did the Ferengi have a war with the Bolians long ago or something? Or is that as random as my saying something like, "Let's pretend we're ambushing some Eskimos!"

18. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Kind of. When they capture him, he grumbles, "Ferengi..." and Quark replies, "I know...you hate us."

19. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out of the (very few) Bolian characters who appeared in Star Trek, they were nearly always portrayed as being a bit wimpy and/or friendly aliens. - Boq'ta in "Empok Nor" and Voyager's Bolian Maquis member, for example although the Bolian bartender in "Honor Among Thieves" was a badass!

20. Tomalak

Yeah, the most famous Bolian in Star Trek is the Enterprise's barber. I think it's pretty likely even Quark and Brunt could rough up a couple.