Dropped stardate from "Code of Honor"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by throwback, Jan 26, 2013.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I have been watching this episode, and I noticed a discrepancy between what is said in the episode and what is on the transcript site. I know that sometimes that the foreign market may get a different version than the American market. What is missing is, also, from the script.

After Captain Picard orders five to be beamed up, after the death combat, Riker in a log says, "First Officer's Log, Stardate 41235.6, I am returning the conn to Captain Picard as we begin loading the vaccine supply aboard. Shortly, we hope to signal mission complete."

The transcript site, written in the UK, has these two lines. Were these lines spoken in an airing of the episode?

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Which site are you using? Often there are lines in the final script that are not in the finished episode.

It coulkd be that the information in Riker's log was pretty obvious and they deicded to leave it out.

3. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Chrissie's Transcripts web site.
    Here is the transcript for the episode: [http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/104.htm]
    I have found her site to be accurate - I have done line-by-line when watching episodes. So, for me, this is surprising.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I just checked. The line isn't in my copy (ripped from the DVD). I doubt it would be on the blu ray either...

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. Chrissie's site tends to deal with actual transcripts made from aired episodes - whereas the scripts on TrekCore reveal interesting discrepancies in early TNG, especially regarding lines with stardates, because several of the TrekCore scripts are earlier versions, not shooting scripts.

The lines in "Code of Honor" aren't part of my old VHS tape, but it's a recording of another foreign airing, and I know other such airings around here were incomplete (although mainly around commercial breaks, and this potential cut doesn't happen next to one of those). My DVD indeed lacks the line.

But the TrekCore script has it; perhaps Chrissie's site this once copied the script without checking the aired material? There are also minor oddities in Chrissie's transcript... For example, Tasha in the script and the episode comments Lutan's downfall by saying "That's so beautiful - and so sad for you", whereas the transcript has the line as "How so sad for you". A rare slip, but probably suggestive of this particular transcript being faulty overall.

Timo Saloniemi

6. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Yeah, I'd be careful of using scripts: we're watching DS9 season 1 on Netflix (can't believe how many of these I missed the first time around) and we watch with the subtitles and there are constant differences, mostly like Timo just noted, where it's the same idea or the same words, but in a different sentence structure. They clearly pulled the subs from the scripts and not actual transcriptions.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Subtitles are never just from scripts or direct transcriptions. Long sentences can often be truncated to make them fit on the screen, to make sure the next batch of captions don't fall behind the visuals.

8. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Then what about the "extra" dialog that sometimes shows up? Clearly from a script and may have been filmed but cut in the editing room before broadcast.