General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is ridiculous but I guess they can try and do whatever they want to generate interest. It's been reported online they contacted Randy Savage's brother to induct him into their HOF. Ric Flair would probably be another nominee. Hulk Hogan (even though he doesn't deserve it). Mick Foley. Booker maybe. Dunno about anyone else. This is probably just Dixie trying to start to create her own legacy in TNA.

The reason why I stated that I doubt Sting would want to sign with WWE now, is because Vince has made the HOF offer to him when they attempted to sign him last year. There's not much incentive for him to go any more now that he's in the TNA HOF.

2. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Which is TNA trying to capitalise upon WWE's decision not to induct Savage into their HOF. Whilst I have no doubt that Savage will eventually get the WWE HOF treatment, TNA possibly sees Savage's omission as an opportunity to stick it to WWE, in which case this isn't about honouring Savage and it pisses me off when this stuff happens.

It really got to me the fact that WWE used Eddie Guerrero's death as an opportunity to make some more money and they sweetened this by signing Vickie Guerrero to a lifetime deal (reportedly Vince is trying to get out of this), offering Chavo Guerrero a world title push (Chavo decline) and then offering Rey Mysterio the same (who accepted) and finally using Eddie Guerrero as a catalyst to enhance audience reactions (Batista and Randy Orton were both instructed to use Eddie Guerrero as a means to garner face love (Batista) and nuclear heel heat (Orton) during the feud with Rey Mysterio).

I think this kind of practise is incredibly shitty, but the promotions don't seem to really learn from it.

Agreed, it would if it wasn't for Flair's recent behaviour and contractual disputes with TNA.

They probably wanted to do so, but I get the feeling Hogan either refused or somebody thought it would be a bad idea to do it straight off the bat, given that Hogan is depicted as being partly responsible for the event.

TNA would try, but WWE would never allow it, despite the fact TNA allowed Ric Flair to be inducted into the WWE HOF alongside the Four Horsemen. The best TNA are going to get is Christian's brief appearance, that was just WWE returning the favour in a no-risk sense given that they don't consider TNA a threat, but won't help them by allowing them access to contracted stars except in unique situations (Flair's Horsemen induction)

I think that when Sting's TNA contract next comes up and IF he feels that he's got only one or two great matches left in him and IF WWE were willing to give him an opportunity to work Wrestlemania against Undertaker or someone of similar reputation with respect to Sting's character, then I reckon he would sign on the dotted line regardless of whether he's part of the TNA HOF or not.

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Once Sting officially retires from the business I'm sure that WWE will honor him a couple years later.

4. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah that is my feeling. They added him to their alumni page this year I think. Sting's contract is up I think either next year or in 2014. I don't have high hopes that he'll be in any kind of physical condition to wrestle in any decent kind of match, but then one never knows I suppose.

Regarding Savage. I don't think WWE has ever come out and publicly stated their stance regarding Savage, which continues to fuel that old urban myth about Steph. Everyone that I talked to or read online that had an opinion on this thought this year would be finally the perfect time to finally induct him. They won't even acknowledge the Savage chants when Punk does the flying elbow tribute.

5. Mr Silver

The perfect booking plan for a Sting WWE run would be as follows:

Sting appears (without his trademark face paint) a month or so prior to Wrestlemania after it is announced that he will be inducted into the HOF. He cuts a promo about how he thought he'd never see the day when he stepped inside a WWE ring, etc. The Undertaker comes out and confronts him and challenges him to a match at Wrestlemania. Sting declines and reveals the reason he is declining is because he quietly "retired" after leaving TNA (not mentioned by name obviously)

Undertaker comes out the following week and cuts another promo where he reveals that he has "retired" following every recent Wrestlemania victory, but he is then lured back into the ring by the prospect of a new challenge and so far, every year that he has "retired" a new challenge has emerged. Undertaker says that Sting is that new challenge and if he declines then not only have the fans lost Sting, but they've also lost Undertaker.

Sting comes out next week to a mixed reaction (still minus his face paint) where he applauds Undertaker for his efforts, but he's still "retired" and it's going to stay that way. The following week Undertaker comes out to open the show and says that since Sting has declined his challenge there will be no streak match this year, and maybe never again. Undertaker then says that he will instead give the fans one last match and poses an open challenge to anybody (whoever is currently popular comes out and the crowd goes wild). During the match however, the arena goes black and when the lights come back on, Taker's opponent is laid out in the ring with Taker going for his usual tombstone pin (no referee) but with the addition of Sting (in full Sting attire and face paint) standing over him with a baseball bat - you can guess what happens next! Sting then reveals that he knew from the beginning that he wanted a shot at the streak, but he forced Undertaker to play by his rules, his mind games and now that Sting has that advantage - it's showtime!

Undertaker defeats Sting at Wrestlemania after a classic which could have gone either way.

Sting returns some time after Wrestlemania and wins a battle royal for a shot at the WWE Championship. The storyline is a Rocky Balboa'esque scenario where Sting is trying to prove that he has what it takes to be a WWE superstar. Sting then gets his shot at the WWE Championship, which he wins (bear with me!) and carries until the next major PPV where he puts over WWE's chosen choice (preferably a rising star) clean in what would essentially be Sting's retirement match.

So... We get the Undertaker/Sting mania match, Sting gets his chance to be a WWE superstar and WWE Champion and he then puts a future star over huge on his way out.

6. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

^Great idea, but never going to happen.

I have the same problem with Sting facing Taker for the streak as I do with Jericho facing Take for it. No one is going to believe that either Sting or Jericho can take Undertaker to the limit given the match Taker had with Triple H this year.

7. Mr Silver

Correct

It really depends, I don't see Chris Jericho as a viable contender to the streak because pretty much everyone has defeated Jericho (although this doesn't effect his status as a main eventer because of his in-ring and talking skills, which define him as a performer). No, you need someone with near equal characteristics and "lore" factor to compliment Undertaker in the streak matches these days.

Although most of the hammy supernatural stuff has been phased out, there are some clear traits involved with Undertaker that define his mythological status: (which WWE is fiercely protective of)

- He has never lost a match at Wrestlemania.
    - He has never "officially" tapped out.
    - He disappears for extended periods of time, doesn't break kayfabe if he can help it, by doing things like giving interviews or attending WWE publicity events.
    - The creation and pioneering of the Hell in a Cell match is attributed to him from a storyline perspective.

Triple H worked two years in a row because he has almost equal footing with Undertaker. Trips has held 13 world titles, he's won more Hell in a Cell matches than anybody else, he's the boss' son-in-law, etc. WWE will emphasise the more interesting qualities about Taker's opponents, especially if nobody is really buying that the other guy has a chance (which is always true, because the streak must remain intact) for the purpose of suspending disbelief and selling PPV's by offering a incredible match opportunity (which usually exceeds expectations).

With all this in mind, the performers on the roster currently that are feesable opponents for Undertaker are:

Triple H
    Brock Lesnar
    John Cena
    Kane
    The Big Show

8. Admiral_Young

That's pretty close to what I would do with Sting. I think I pitched the program I would do between Sting/Undertaker in the previous thread. The only thing I might contend with is I think Sting would receive HUGE pops no matter if he cut his promos as a pseudo-heel or face. The anticipation of him actually coming and being in the WWE would go beyond traditional heel/face reactions I think. It'd be difficult in my opinion to book the Undertaker or Sting as either one, because fans would most likely pop huge for both of them. Kind of like Rock/Hogan.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the internets have mentioned that there are plans for Undertaker to face Brock at 29 next year, which would be huge considering their personal history. I posted the link that had the news along with the confrontation between them at that UFC event.

9. Admiral_Young

Well that was a lack luster Raw. If that is an example of what to expect for a three hour show...then I will probably stop watching no matter what they do. Vader? Really? Meh. Vince another opportunity to make fun of JR...sigh. He really does get a kick out of that doesn't he? I'm guessing they're not going to take Big Johnny off camera right now. He's too over as a heel. Same non decision they had with Michael Cole. There were also quite a few botches tonight. On the mic and in the ring. Oh well...anyone think No Way Out will actually be good? I also noticed they took Brock's image out of the Raw opening. I'm guessing we won't see him until the next major PPV which I guess is Money in the Bank. Or the Raw 1000th episode. I wonder if they have any other surprises like Vader in store? I've also seen rumours of a Attitude Era reunion of sorts. If not outright restoration. A Lot of fans think the logo on the WWE '13 cover is a big clue.

10. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The chances of a return to Attitude era style writing/antics or anything similar are non-existent with Linda running for Senate again. They're not going to do anything to show the WWE in a controversial light that would give her opponents soundbyte fodder. Even Vince seemed oddly subdued last night.

11. Admiral_Young

Actually, I've been wondering if Linda's campaign has been the reason why things have been so tame for the last several months? Safe booking. Erratic story telling and inconsistent programs? Maybe this will change after the election is over with?

12. Mr Silver

Nope, Jack shit changed following Linda's last campaign. If anything I think the big WWE cleaning job that coincided with Linda announcing that she was running for senate was done at that point to add brownie points to Linda's campaign. The clean up had been coming for a long time.

Vince and Linda spent tens of millions of dollars on the last campaign which very likely had some financial ramifications for WWE. This time WWE are safer because the PG era has provided a decent amount of revenue, which makes you wonder if the plan was always for Linda to have at least two cracks at the world of politics.

13. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

One run was more than enough for my stomach.

14. Admiral_Young

15. Mr Silver

Can't say I'm really THAT interested in No Way Out, but nonetheless:

Brodus Clay to defeat David Otunga
    Layla to defeat Beth Phoenix
    Santino to defeat Ricardo Rodriguez
    Sheamus to defeat Dolph Ziggler
    Ryback to defeat 2 Jobbers
    Christian to defeat Cody Rhodes
    CM Punk to defeat Kane and Daniel Bryan
    John Cena to defeat Big Show

16. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And that's what's killing the WWE in the first place. They should realize their product is what the fans want, not political bullshit. Maybe in the near future Levesque and his wife might return the WWE to the late 90's glory. One can still hope.

17. Admiral_Young

No Way Out sounds like it's going to be one of the most disappointing PPV's of the year with the card they have. My picks echo Admiral M's except I think Ortunga/Clay will end in a DQ. They'll play up Clay's leg there after the attack on Smackdown. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Big Show beat John Cena...Big Johnny could interfere in the match somehow. I can see them dragging out this program. Punk will retain. So will Christian. I wonder if Brock will make an appearance? Probably not.

18. Sheep

I agree with all of these except for the last two.

I'm fully convinced the WWE is going to do something completely unexpected to finish the Punk/Bryan/Kane match. I have no clue what that is but I'll be very surprised if the match ends cleanly with Punk or Bryan pinning Kane which, let's face it, are the only ways this match ends cleanly.

For Cena/Show, I have Big Show defeating Cena with interference from Ace. Cena will do his usual routine of being "fired" for half an episode before he comes back at the very end of Monday's Raw. I haven't been keeping up too closely with spoilers so I have no idea if Vince will appear at No Way Out but I'm venturing that he'll appear on Raw to deal with the aftermath instead.

19. Admiral_Young

Punk seems like a no brainer. With the WWE Title redesign on the horizon, and WWE showing no confidence in anyone else right now, I think we're going to have a nice long run with Punk as champion, which is just fine by me. I think he's the most over face champion we've had in a very long time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  20. Sheep

Let's not forget Sheamus who continues to be over-pushed down our throats for some reason. I instinctively reach to change the channel every time that pasty, no-selling idiot appears on my screen.

And we all know Vince has a gigantic boner for Ryback, who's somehow already managed to become stale with the endless stream of 150 lb. jobbers he's squashed two-at-a-time.