(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's just that recently Almunia's been having a bad run, and for whatever reason his distribution seems to consist of either slicing the ball out of play, or hoofing it up at Arshavin, who watches it sail over his head, then turns to Almunia in complete disdain.

Big match against Villa in an hour, I have a feeling it's going to be really tough as both teams will be looking to capitalise on Chelsea's recent stumbles.

I really hope if Fabregas isn't 100% Arsene doesn't risk him, January's chock full of big games and it would be a real shame to aggravate that hamstring.

EDIT AFTER THE MATCH: Just how good is Cesc Fabregas? Sooooooo good. Hope the hamstring injury isn't too bad though...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Looking forward to MOTD2 tonight. Was stuck in the library so was dependent on Radio 5. Sounded like a good game.

Pompey, Everton and Bolton twice before a run of tough games now. Let's hope we can make things easier on ourselves by not slipping up when we shouldn't.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I give up with regards Derby*. A few weeks ago I saw us at times play West Brom off the park, and last night we more than held our own away against Newcastle, yet in between we had home games against Doncaster and Blackpool, games I expected us to get something from yet we lose both and don't even seem to have been in with a chance of gaining so much as a point from each!

That's football for you I guess!

(*not actually true, I will be Derby till I die)

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Football is Cardiff City being utterly, utterly incapable of beating any team below 19th or so in the table. Relegation teams must love us. Throwing away a 0-4 lead... I feel like crying every time I think about it.

Plymouth and Peterborough as Christmas fixtures and we got 1 point. I despair. And yet... it's not even that surprising anymore :D

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah well if football was truly predictable it'd be boring.

So Megson's out then? Made the cardinal sin of attacking the fans, you can get away with that if you're higher up the table, but not where Bolton are. Bit of a shame as I don't think the fans ever really gave him a chance and he wasn't terrible at first.

Wonder what the possibility is of Brown jumping before he can get pushed and going back to Bolton as manager this time?

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Megson's sacking reminds me of those fans who believe there team is better than it really is. You remember when West Ham fans forced Curbs because they were unhappy at being 10th despite him saving them from relegation 18 months earlier and after Curbs went they flirted with relegation and now this season are in serious danger of going down. The same will happen to Bolton and if Brown is forced out at Hull City then they will also go down sooner rather than later.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

yeah bit like Alladyce as well. My favourite was always the Sunderland fans who ousted Peter Reid and were rewarded with Howard Wilkinson!

8. HappyDayRiot

As soon as Hull's second goal flashed up on BBC live text I said he'd be gone before I woke up in the morning so I wasn't the least bit surprised. It's been coming a while now, mainly because of, as you guys say, the fans never gave him a chance. He should have been let go when he kept them up that season he came in and Bolton got another manager in.

Paul Jewell is the favourite apparently. Probably not what the fans want either.

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasted a lot of money on Elmander, but otherwise I think he's done as well as could be expected. A harsh sacking, hope they go down.

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Fuck.

Togo national team bus machine-gunned

I love the African Cup of Nations, but this could potentially be a hard blow for Afrian football. If the players' safety can't be guaranteed, even holding a tournament doesn't make sense...

11. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jeez that's really scary, I was just flipping through CNN and Sky and there doesn't seem to be anything on.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The nations cup going on has to be put into question and one more incident like this could de rail it all the way. I bet Angola don't get to host it for at least another 50 years after this.

On a brighter note whatever Billy D is feeding the players at Forest is still working as we beat 2nd place West Brom away 3-1 to leapfrog them in the table. 17 league games unbeaten and 18 in total though I doubt we will beat our record which is somewhere in the late 40's under Brian Clough :techman:.

QPR, Derby and Birmingham still to come in the month so I expect the record to come to an end sooner rather than later.

13. HappyDayRiot

^ As I type your boys are holding their own quite nicely against Birmingham, and there'd certainly be no shame in losing to them! (edit: okay, you lost despite better being the better, and unlucky, team, it seems.) My team threw away a lead again so replay for us as well. We could do with the gate money I guess but damn we could do without more fixtures!

So Sol Campbell is back at Arsenal, playing for the reserves tonight. Am I the only one who is amused by the irony of the opponents being West Ham, against whom he had his infamous breakdown back in 2006? Very surprised at Wenger bringing a player back though.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hurrah we're in the 4th round...talk about taking it to the last possible second though!

Yeah that is interesting about Wenger/Campbell. Perhaps Wenger really feels they have a chance of taking the title and wants Campbell's experience. Be interesting to see if he is still up to the Prem. Actually reminds me of the sort of left field signing Ferguson would usually make...

So, Liverpool out...what does Benitez have to do to get the sack?

15. HappyDayRiot

Maybe he needs to consistently field a first XI of total mediocrity, as opposed to his usual 7 or 8 of the starting players. Oh, and play half of them totally out of position in a nonsensical formati... oh. He does that already? Then I have no idea.

I am amused by Big Four clubs failing and looking like idiots though, so they can keep him for all I care.

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Does Liverpool even count as "Big Four" anymore at this point? ;)

17. HappyDayRiot

Well you're still the Champions of your league until someone else wins from you, and you're still champions of a cup competition until you get knocked out, so on that logic you're still Big Four until someone officially replaces you in it at the end of the season.

Though Liverpool will be mathematically be out of it long before then, especially with no Torres for 6 weeks.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I can't figure out if its the fact that he hasn't lost the fans yet (somehow) or the fact that he's cost a bomb to replace?

I see Paul Hart has gone from QPR already! Jesus they really are a laughing stock of a club!

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently Hiddink wants the Liverpool job.

20. HappyDayRiot

I didn't know that until I read your post, and even then I thought you were joking :guffaw:

I'm not sure which I like more - big club soap operas or Guus Hiddink. Tough one. I doubt there's a Liverpool fan in the land who wouldn't love to have him though. Wasn't he linked with Juventus that long ago as well?