Warcraft (Film) 2016

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taylirious, Jan 31, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Warcraft (Film) 2015

Some of the books are pretty good. Really there are a ton of stories you could tell dramatically from different race's perspectives and different eras.

As far as player bashing goes I found there were huge differences between servers, it quite surprised me.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch the next Duncan Jones film if it was on basketweaving. I just enjoyed Moon and Source Code a lot.

I have trepidations over Warcraft, sure, but it's also a game I've invested an enormous amount of time into, so if Jones can basically turn the game's gonzo high fantasy setting into an entertaining fantasy flick, all the better.

3. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I will remind people that this is a Warcraft movie, not a World of Warcraft movie. I'm not distinguishing the universes like some stubborn purists do, but the movie could be about _any_ point in time in Warcraft history.

I think it will be Alliance focused (viewers relate to humans, not green orcs, yada yada), but I don't think it will be the Arthas story line. I'd _like_ to see the Thrall/creation of the Horde story line, but I'm not sure how people would react to a live action movie featuring CG character as the lead.

I hope they don't totally _make shit up_, but Chris Metzen and Blizzard are heavily involved in the movie so I doubt it.

4. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

To different degrees. Some of the earlier novels have been retconned by Blizzard but the major events still played out the same. The very recent books have tied in very closely with the game, to the point that the developers and the authors work together to make sure they reflect one another accurately.

Wowpedia has hundreds of thousands of entries. The amount of lore rivals almost any fictional universe I can think of besides maybe something like Star Wars or Star Trek.

This is the movie I link to people who want to get into Warcraft lore but don't have the patience to play the old games. This is from one game (WC3), and it has five hours of cut scenes and cinematics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIz4lgxlLHw

I will also remind people that this is a Warcraft movie, not a World of Warcraft movie. I'm not distinguishing the universes like some stubborn purists do, but the movie could be about any point in time in Warcraft history.

I think it will be Alliance focused (viewers relate to humans, not green orcs, yada yada), but I don't think it will be the Arthas story line. I'd like to see the Thrall/creation of the Horde story line, but I'm not sure how people would react to a live action movie featuring CG character as the lead.

I hope they don't totally make shit up, but Chris Metzen and Blizzard are heavily involved in the movie so I doubt it. I also hope they keep the aesthetics of Warcraft in tact, I don't want the movie to seem like Game of Thrones or some generic fantasy movie. I want interesting looking armour and architecture, I want the races intact, I want shining paladin knights and dragons and magic and warlocks and dwarves flying gryphons.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Back when the film was still Sam Raimi connected, Metzen said the movie would take place before World of Warcraft, and would focus on a human protagonist similar to Stormwind's King, Varian Wrynn.

6. Zardoza

Zardoza Ensign

That sound's great I don't want the events of the strategy games changed.

7. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

I've been thinking somewhat about the possibilites and came up with the following ideas:

A trilogy, with each movie depicting one of the Great Wars.

The first movie would show the formation of the Horde, it's corruption by the Burning Legion and the invasion of Stormwind. This would mean that the would end on a more or less sour note, however I can see the final scene being Anduin Lothir and the refugees cacthing a glimpse of Lordaeron city, as they sail towards it, full of hope, but also aware of the hard times that are still to come. Or the formation of the Great Alliance, ready to march south and recapture Stormwind. It would also be a nice cliffhanger.

The second movie would focus more on the adventures of the Sons of Lothar in Draenor, I think audiences would more easely relate to it. The movie would still show the last battle of the Second War, Lothar's death and Turalyon taking charge.

The last movie poses a problem because between Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne there's simply too much material for just one movie, I think. It could either focus on Arthas, Thrall or Illidan, though the fans would complain about not getting the full story.

There's also the alternative of starting right away with the story of the third game. It's the one people are more likely to remember and enjoy, due to its proximity and relevance to the setting of the MMO. There could still be some flashbacks showing stuff like the formation of the Horde, the past wars, but it would follow the narrative present in RoC and TFT. At least two movies would be required, I think.

The final alternative would be a movie based on Classic WoW, more specifically the Onyxia storyline. The movie would focus on Katrana Prestor's machinations, which would be eventually unveiled by a group of Alliance members.

In the meantime, Thrall sensing that something was not right with the Alliance leadership would send some trusted Horde members to investigate the issue as well. Both forces would eventually join up and try to defeat Onyxia in her lair.

The movie would more or less follow the structure of the attunement quest line.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

A teaser trailer was shown at Comic-Con and Duncan Jones announced he'll start production on the movie early next year. Here's a description of the teaser from io9:

9. teacake

Good. All humans must die. For the horde!

10. teacake

Guys it's all good, it's going to be AWESOME.

Some guy met Duncan Jones at a convention and he got this absolute guarantee from him about the Warcraft film:

http://imgur.com/a/uimko

11. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. teacake

I'm still of the "I'll believe it when I see it" persuasion.

Isn't Anthony Yelchin rumored to possibly going to be in it?

And the lead of the film.. do we know yet what the story will be? I can't remember, there have been so many tidbits that seem to have disappeared into nothing.

13. Taylirious

As long as there are no Pandas I will be happy. :rommie:

I am guessing Humans & Orcs.

14. teacake

Pandas made me sad :(

I wanted an old ancient crone of a panda but NOOooooo all the girls had the exact same cutesy face.

15. Taylirious

16. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw the teaser on a huge screen with Dolby atmos sound here at Blizzcon, and it looks amazing. Like their cinematics turned up to eleven.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

I have no idea what a Blackhand is, but, hooray! Here's hoping they don't kill Clancy off early like that dreck Cowboys and Aliens. :p

18. Taylirious

19. teacake

He looks fantastic!!

It's still taking several lifetimes to be finished though.

20. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral