Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly but, so far, only those two ST movies have given me that extraordinarily immersive experience, where I get so totally sucked in by the premise, sets, alien makeups, uniforms, SPFX, dialogue and music that I feel like I'm actually on that ship. Thirty years apart, but amazingly close.

Not to this fan. TMP was essentially my introduction to ST, knowing only random TAS and a few TOS episodes. Imagine my surprise joining a ST club in 1980 and finding out that most ST fans I met hated the movie. Luckily, TMP drew in others who loved TMP, so I hung around with them. By contrast, ST II (which I could see was more of a crowd pleaser) was veering my ST away from my favourite, almost erasing TMP from other fans' memories, which is what Harve Bennett was employed to do.

Exactly. :bolian: :techman:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gee - What does it say about me if my two faves are Day the Earth Stood Still and Cool Hand Luke?

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

You want the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum down the hall. :D

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, who says that your favorite movies have to be artistically compatible?

Two of my favorite movies are Singin' in the Rain and The Wicker Man (the original Christopher Lee version, of course). All depends on what mood I'm in . . . .

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

obviously that's not what I was saying. He was comparing two movies from the same film franchise in the same genre, and they were about as unlike as can be.

of course if you're choosing favorites from ACROSS whole genres you're going to have very disimilar choices, but that's a completely different issue.

6. Lt. Beatings

Lt. Beatings Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

TMP hurts my eyes. Is there a warning on that thing for epileptics? So many flashing lights.

7. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

It doesn't hurt my eyes, but the visuals do get very dull very quickly. It's just on and on, staring a the screen, then staring at people who are staring at the screen, staring at the screen. Lights flickering and psychedelic clouds...actually that whole sequence might be a Hell of a lot better if you just replace all the audio with a Pink Floyd album.

8. sonak

I've read it described as similar to "watching a bunch of people watching a television screen."

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Close your eyes and listen to the pretty Goldsmith score.

10. Bones_McCoy21

Bones_McCoy21 Commander Red Shirt

Well I find the TOS movies more enjoyable because everybody knows it...Shatner is a BAD actor(FYI to those who didn't know that) but his bad acting makes it funny and worth watching:) (patrick stewart is too serious to be funny)

11. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

Goldsmith is nice...But I'm thinking that putting on Pink Floyd and lighting one up would turn the whole movie experience into something epic.

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Well sure, and that's what millions of fans did for 2001: A Space Odyssey 10 years prior. This had a great impact on Roddenberry and inspired the tone of TMP greatly.

13. pengbuzz

pengbuzz Guest

What I noticed as the difference between the TOS movies and the TNG films was that (at least with the first 4), the scope seemed far more epic. In TMP, we see the unveiling of the Refit, and we catch up with the characters as their lives once again converge together onboard the Enterprise. McCoy was out of Starfleet, as was Spock, who was undergoing the Kolinahr on Vulcan. Kirk was Chief of Starfleet operations as an Admiral, and Decker was now the captain of the ship. In WOK, it had a "nautical" feel in it, with the music of James Horner, the many references (bot visual and spoken), and the uniforms really made it feel like the crew was part of a fleet (as opposed to the pastel pj's they wore in TMP!!). SFS was the saddest for me, as the Enterprise was destroyed, but in the fashion of being epic, it allowed for the all time epic instance of Kirk bending/breaking the rules: he STOLE the Enterprise!!! By admission, TVH wasn't as epic per se, but it was a fun comedy, and you have to admit: Spock saying "damn" every 5 minutes was hilarious.

With TNG: it didn't have the same quality of being epic and big: the crew was pretty much transplanted from the tv series to the film without much change, and the Enterprise D was just the same old ship, which got wrecked. No sense of them being people with lives, but just still doing what they were doing when we last saw them.

Speaking of the ships: the Enterprise -E, while a beautiful ship, just wasn't given the same treatment as the refit, and the ship was too agile for my tastes; it conveyed no sense of its' mass, especially during the Borg cube battle in First Contact. When a ship that big moves with a sense of being big, no matter how agile it may be, it gives it an air of being grand and large. But none of that happened; it just seemed to lack the grace that the Refit had in her movements.

In the end: the TOS films had the sense that the crew were legends as was the Ship, but that they were also people who lived. TNG just seemed to me like a feature film add on to the TV series and lacked those qualities. Yes, Goldsmith returned for the TNG films, but even then the soundtrack lacked the elegance the TOS ones possessed. But then, perhaps we are expecting too much from TNG and remembering TOS too fondly.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Just watching TMP and it's pretty dreadful. It was of its time but it makes Peter Jackson's editing look terse and economical.

15. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You really have to look into the plot and past the dragging cinematography. It's a strong classic Trek story, just a bit too much visual filler.

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

TMP is genius and you just don't get it. What you need is the extended super extra directors cut uber edition with 3 hours of extra footage.

17. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Oh I get the story and I think it's an interesting, dare I say, original take on the lost child returned story. The realisation just, well, sucks.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

You have to see it in HD for full effect. and on a 20 foot screen.

19. sonak

if this is sarcasm, I totally agree with the sentiment.

20. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Really? Roddenberry seems like he was more the cocaine and alcohol type to me.