Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Todays ProTip:

Never punch the runaway minecart you're in while on a bridge over a lava pool. Especially when you're carrying your entire stock of iron, a diamond sword, a full set of iron armor, a lot of wood, and a bunch of powered and regular rails.

*sizzle* :wah:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Oh jeez. Did that happen on the server? You have my sympathy. :(

3. Cutter John

No, it was on one of my single player worlds dangit. Lord, who needs Creepers when I'm such a danger to myself?

I set up a test track on the server running from near main spawn to over behind GodBen's penthouse. I managed to solve the runaway cart problem by using a button instead of a switch to activate it. The rides a little jerky due to lag, but it seems to work okay. Give it a try and see what you guys think.

4. Robert Maxwell

Sweet. I figured up we'll need about 800 iron (:eek:) to do a rail line to the frontier--and that's standard rails, not powered.

To do powered rails, we'd need 77 gold (assuming we use the optimal powered rail spacing of 26 blocks) as the route is roughly 2000 blocks long. I guess that really isn't very much!

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I've found the same thing with boats. They kind of jerk along instead of moving smoothly.

Also, I can sympathize re: lava. I have a bad habit of playing around with it and forgetting to toss my stuff in a chest... :scream:

6. Robert Maxwell

I've learned to be careful with fire on the server. People have wooden houses and stuff and I'd feel really bad if I burned someone else's house down with an out-of-control forest fire. :(

7. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, this can be used to one's advantage as well. I mean, I'd hate to see what would happen if I "accidentally" got careless with flint and steel near Cutter's tree. It'd be a shame, one that's easily preventable by sending money to the following, uh, fire safety PayPal account... :shifty:

;)

8. Robert Maxwell

I've already joked that I'm the corrupt mayor of our town and if people don't pay tribute in diamonds, you might find someone spawned a Creeper in your house...

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Hah, I have to admit, it made me nervous when I saw you set fire to things not too far from my house, Robert.

As for the rail line, since it's such a long way, I figure the cart would need a boost once in awhile, so it doesn't have to be powered rails all the way, but in certain strategic spots, a bit similar to how rollercoasters work. But I think we'd need two rails. One for going there and one for coming back, unless it can be done with one rail.

10. Robert Maxwell

Don't worry, I checked the boundaries of the trees I wanted to clear before lighting them up. I wanted to make sure it didn't reach up to your place!

And we only have to place powered rails every 26 blocks or so, for maximum efficiency.

11. Cutter John

I did not know that. I'll adjust my spacings accordingly.

I can probably chip in ninety or a hundred iron, and maybe some gold to the rail line. Theres 10 pieces of rail in my freebie chest already. The way my test track is set up, its easy enough to just extend it.

12. Robert Maxwell

I'll remember you when the purge comes and Slagville is laid ruin.

13. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

So this is me and bros latest project on our little friend groups server:

[​IMG]

A Japanese style castle/fortress. It's gonna be several more levels and a lot more around, but we decided to start at the top.

14. Robert Maxwell

Very slick, dude! :techman:

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you using the rustic texture pack, Emher? I tried it for awhile yesterday. I still prefer my cell-shaded pack though.

16. Robert Maxwell

I'm still using the cel-shaded pack, myself. It's really grown on me.

17. Cutter John

Looking good Emher!

18. Robert Maxwell

I tried out your test track, Cutter. Pretty sweet! I like being able to hit a button and be rocketed from one end of the track to the other, then coming to a full stop when I hit the (un)powered rail at the other end.

19. Cutter John

Yeah, I probably overdid the powered rails, tryign to compensate for the lag. Once we build mor elines, I can space them out more.

And I REALLY like the fact that unpowered powered rails act as brakes. It'll make it easier to set up stations along the line. Stop and get off, or hit the button to keep going.

Now we need to decide on a path.

20. Robert Maxwell

I was thinking a path parallel to the walking path would be nice. Let people hoof it if they want, and have a track for those who don't.