Aventine the new flagship?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Herbert1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um The Enterprsie NCC-1701 was refered to as the Federation Flagship in part one of the first book of the Badlands Duology.

2. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, in the novelization of Relics, the Enterprise was referred as the Federation Flagship.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

So that'd leave only the -A, -B and -C as undefined in lit, right?

Or are there books to suggest that those were flagships at some point, too?

Timo Saloniemi

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

From Lost Era: Serpent amongst the ruins

from Lost Era: Well of Souls

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

So now we're down to -A, right? That is, this wasn't the ship described either in the "Relics" novelization or in Badlands?

We can argue minutiae after that: at which point during her career would each ship have held this flagship status?

Timo Saloniemi

6. JoeZhang

Do you want to make things complex first? :-)

From Federation.

7. JoeZhang

There is no reference in any TOS novel to the Enterprise-A being a flagship, there are multiple references to flagships belonging to various admirals but that's it.

8. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

I think, even though the Aventine is one of the largest and one of the most advanced ships of the fleet, it does not really have a long history like the Enterprise has, that should count a bit. :)

9. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

That answers my question. So we shouldn't expect the Enterprise, Titan, or Voyager to be ordered to a shipyard anytime soon in the novel series to be refit with quantum slipstream drive?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, Titan is going back out to the frontier, so it won't be near any shipyards. As for the others, I couldn't say.

11. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like both views of a flagship -- a vessel representing the vanguard of the Federation and a vessel carrying the flag of a commanding officer of a fleet. Of course, in "Star Trek," we never really saw a lot of admirals or commodores commanding from single starships (although we did see Admiral Hansen in the "Best of Both Worlds.").

I view Aventine in a light similar to the original Excelsior. The Excelsior was outfitted with transwarp engines and was touted as the future of Starfleet (much to Scotty's chagrin). Only after the experimental stuff was removed and the ship was allowed to prove itself did it become the vanguard of the fleet (as evidenced by the longivity of the Excesior-class).

Did the Excelsior eventually become a "flagship?" Yes, I believe it did. The Federation is big enough to have multiple explorer-type ships carrying its banner (or flag) to the edges of the final frontier.

12. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remember that Voyager couldn't get the quantum slipstream drive to work properly, and the Aventine didn't either, not until an 800-year old Erika Hernandez piloted the ship for them.

I'm not sure if regular Starfleet vessels would be able to use a quantum-slipstream drive yet. The Vesta-class is probably heavily modified to use the drive. We don't know what it looks like yet.

13. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

The Aventine crew could work it just fine, they just couldn't fly it with enough precision to land right on top of the Borg ship and conduct the ambush. That's where Hernandez came in.

14. Clawhammer

Voyager was not designed to do QSD, still it worked for a brief period of time, I guess the Vesta class ships could exchange parts/equipment easier then Voyager to experiment with it. When they have found something like a "baseline" setting, perhaps distribution to other ships could be realised. As far as I can see it, no heavy exterior modification would be involved.

It's like upgrading the CPU, you will go faster, but you still looking at the same old case. :)

I do think the Aventine/Vesta class should be overbuild though, so it can be used over and over again to test new setups and break new speed records. That way it would be able to serve a long time, like the Excelsior or the Miranda classes.

15. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

That isn't a good analogy. Stable quantum slipstream drive represents a greater technological leap. It opens a much greater portion of our galaxy to exploration and colonization and greater story telling possibilities in the Star Trek universe without resorting to Caretakers Arrays or worm holes because of the distances involved.

16. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a quantum slipstream, Starfleet could revisit the Small Magellanic Cloud to determine the fate of the Neyel (I imagine it wouldn't be pretty, but it would be possible). Oh, there's also the matter of puncturing the galactic barrier.

17. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

From the OAD:

noun
    the ship in a fleet that carries the commanding admiral.
    ....• the best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization

The US Navy sometimes uses the term "flagship" in the context of competition or recognition of excellence, wherein the group which wins the competition or is otherwise recognized for excellence is designated the "flagship" within certain contexts. I don't think the civilian usage of the term is entirely foreign to the sea service. If anything, usage seems quite parallel.

Put differently, one might conclude that the unique role of Enterprise in the Federation's formation (perhaps coupled with the previous history of ships of the same name) might have garnered it a permanent place of honor.

Wasn't there some supposition that the Excelsior was designated the Flagship between the decommissioning of the Enterprise-A and the launch of the Enterprise-B?

18. Clawhammer

No doubt, but I'm only referring to a ships exterior. "Case" as in computer case. :)

19. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

I also think that a flagship should be defined by its reputation and not by its technology. Otherwise, Starfleet would have to "pass the flag" all the times.

But I do wonder if the -B und -C were really flagships. To this date, I have only read a few adventures of them and they were rarely talked about on screen.

20. JoeZhang

It seems to me that the answer with the quantum slip screen is outline a "control" problem - so they've worked out how to use it to go 60,000 light years but not 2000 light years, they cannot control the energy to that fine of a degree. That way, the delta Quadrant can be used again but you don't have situation where the Enterprise can be at Earth at the start of an adventure and then at the Klingon home world an instant later.