Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by superdeluxe, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe now Keith can afford some lamps in that office of his, or at least to get the electricity turned back on

2. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

People are going to buy into whatever appeals to them, whether it's from established showrunners like Rob Thomas or an indie director making his or her first film. Even if we do see Bruckheimer Films use a Kickstarter for their next film (highly unlikely), I really don't think that would be directly pulling potential funding for the indie guy/girl as you're talking about two vastly different audiences and letting people pick what appeals to them. It's not like someone donating $5 to Bruckheimer is somehow withdrawing that funding from an indie director.

3. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing to consider too - how many people had never heard of Kickstarter until they saw the Yahoo story for Veronica Mars today? For those who do know of Kickstarter, how many clicked on Rob Thomas name to see what projects he donated to? All of this brings eyes to Kickstarter and attention to other, unrelated projects that may otherwise not get the support.

4. Wow, this is AMAZING. I'm thrilled they are doing this... thrilled at the implications (how many times have fans of low rated awesome niche series speculated about the whole "what if we all donate $10, couldn't we fund a movie/season" idea on message boards)... thrilled as a fan of the show.

I loved what Netflix did with House of Cards and Arrested Development, and I love this too. A new world where traditional ratings being the one and only sign of success and failure is falling by the wayside. Since most of my interests tend to be low-rated niche's this is fantastic.

Plus, MORE VERONICA MARS!

Just pledged $15. Not a lot, but hey every bit counts. They're already 3/4th of the way there!!!!!!!!

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

1.8 million in a day. That is amazing. I'm sure there are some conversations going around Hollywood.

Edited to add: I won't be the least bit surprised if they get fully funded today. Or certainly early tomorrow.

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

By this time tomorrow they will be way past the minimum goal.
    1,85 mil and counting right now.
    This movie is happening. :D

Every buck starting tomorrow will add to the production value.
    Hopefully the studio bolsters that sum quite a bit as well.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Piz.

They want to put Piz in there. I didn't know why I hated him on Private Practice for about a year before I twigged that he was Piz... I so fucking danced on his grave when they blew him up.

DIE PIZ! DIE!

Piz is settling. Veronica said I want someone harmless, one dimensional and uninteresting who is never going to hurt me. Taking Piz for a lover is why the show finished. He is so tediously conflictless that any attempt to write a new seaosn would just see Veronica and Piz buying fancy cheese and watching episodes of Grays Anatomy.

He is the antithisis of action.

Keep giving the show money.

I'll just buy an eye patch and keep him in my blind spot.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I can't believe this is really happening.

I'm in. $200. I need more Veronica even more than I ever wanted more Firefly.

9. Guy Gardener

So did any one see Kristin on Burning Love last week? :)

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ew.com is reporting that the movie has been fully funded.

11. Guy Gardener

For 2 million, not a lot of people on any level are going to be getting paid for this project.

12. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I hope the movie features a sloth!

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

TemporalFlux should we get Tracy Torme to try this with Sliders and its original cast? ;)

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Excuse me. I need to change my pants.

Fuck the FBI thing, that's lame. I think it should deal with Veronica's mom being found dead and Logan is to blame, or something equally as weird. :)

15. Sheep

This is very obviously a labor of love from Rob Thomas and the cast. If the pilot of Lost could be filmed for around $10m, I have no doubt a two hour Veronica Mars movie can be done for significantly less considering there are no special effects, intricate sets like a crashed plane on a beach or an expensive cast.

16. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking about Sliders when I saw this; it had a similar situation where co-creator Bob Weiss had a movie together that had very promising studio talks back in 2001 (so much that Jerry O'Connell was openly talking to the media about it), but it fell apart due to budget disagreements. Of course, Veronica Mars was more recent (that movie being talked up...6 years ago?); but I honestly didn't think Mars was on anyone's heat map either, and look what just happened.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes! Bring back Sliders!

Maybe we can get a decent TNG movie too! :lol:

18. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

C'mon JMS, lets see the end of Crusade.

I knew as soon as I heard about this it would be can open, worms everywhere. Projects will start springing up all over the place with all this 'pseudo-funding'.

19. Sheep

Not entirely sure what can of worms you're referring to.

I hate Babylon 5 with the fire of a thousand suns but if a movie that wrapped that series up was made from Kickstarter funds, I'd be happy for fans of that show. It's not like it pulls any money from my pocket or was going to get made without the funding so what's wrong with people pitching money into something they're fans of? Yeah, there's the inherent risk the movie might suck but I'd be much less concerned about that with the showrunner and cast on board.

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

And most will Fall on their ass. Buffy might do it if they tried. A few other dearly loved franchises, but that's it.
    I doubt any Blockbuster could ever be funded that way.