Galileo 7 Prop from TOS in Auction June 18, 2012

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lynne Miller, May 24, 2012.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Yes, the ol' girl is pretty beat up after 45 years. But then so are all the few remaining copies of Shakespeare's First Folio; people are nevertheless interested in laying their hands on those and they remain valuable despite their conditions. I guess there are probably as many reasons why someone might want this old plywood artifact as there are collectors.

Lots of pictures of the Galileo here:

http://www.kikoauctions.com/?nav=auctions&details=2030

2. garamet

garamet Writer In Memoriam

Just an aside here. The owner (whom I've met at several cons) has lovingly kept this in an airplane hangar for a couple of decades (whoever came by it originally had it under a tarp in a carport), so it's been well cared for and has probably cost more in storage than the auction price will recoup.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would anyone bid on one of the most famous pieces of Star Trek memorabilia? Especially, the "true fans"? Why would anyone want to own, not only a piece of Star Trek history, but one large enough to walk into, around and finish restoring?

I'll pretend you didn't even ask that one on a Star Trek board.:devil:

If I had the proper plans and materials, I'd make one for the grandchildren [and me] as a playhouse.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:lol:

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect a few parents feeling a bit nostalgic have done just that. I have stumbled across a site discussing the assembly of a Jupiter II inspired playhouse. A Matt Jefferies inspired shuttle should be simpler as it would not have nearly as many curved surfaces.

Say, who was in posting in the fan art section who built the shuttlecraft Halloween display? He purposely used less durable materials as it was meant to be only temporary; but with stronger pieces, his design would have served well as a permanent fixture for the kids.

Sincerely,

Bill

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

To give proper credit, the design of the Galileo was mainly the work of Thomas W. Kellogg, not Matt Jefferies (although Jefferies designed the interior and added the engine nacelles).

Jefferies' original, bullet-like shuttlecraft design would have been too costly and impractical to build.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I love the lines on that. What we finally got was squatter and lost the sexy. The nacelles actually ruined the design.

8. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

I would think someone like Richard Branson would buy the thing, fix it up and display it at his spaceport in New Mexico.. As I recall he is a fan of Trek.

9. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But for the record, i'd love a Jupiter-II playhouse!

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want a Jupiter II house and a Galileo playhouse!

And something for my kid might be nice, too.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That was Bradester, in this thread.

12. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

SOLD for $71,150.

I'm not sure who bought her but the in-folks at HobbyTalk are happy about it, and he promises to fix her up nice.

13. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

[Keanu Reeves voice] - Whoa.

14. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Odd, I figured it would have reached 100K at the very least.

Hopefully, it won't "vanish" again for another couple of decades.

Sincerely,

Bill

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Auction closed at noon today EST. Galileo purchased for $61,000 (plus a 15% buyer's premium that goes to the auction house).

Congrats to the new owners--and to the former owner who was able to recoup some money on her two-decade-long investment.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  16. Forbin

17. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm the Adam in question. We are very very happy to have the opportunity to acquire and renovate Galileo.

Let me assure you we have a straightforward goal: restore her and put her on display for the fans. Details to follow - when we have them. This will take a great deal of time and resources. But i'm confident we will be proud of the result.

I know the internet is an excellent source of opinions, support, and on occasion criticism. No doubt many will chime in with opinions and ideas. We welcome your commentary and support - as this is going to be hard.

More to come!

18. Forbin

Congratulations and good luck, Adam! I hope you'll be kind enough to remember us here and post pictures when she's finished! :)

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heck, post pictures along the way as each "Phase" is finished, no need to wait until it's completely finished :bolian::bolian:

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Adam is it going just to a fixed location display or on tour initially.