George Takei helped me get over social anxiety

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TravisJames, Jul 13, 2011.

1. TravisJames

TravisJames Cadet Newbie

Hey!

Big TOS fan here.

I went to a Star Trek convention a long time ago and met George Takei. Great guy.

I wrote a blog post about how this experience helped me with my social anxiety. I know some forums are sensitive to links and I don't want to be banned for posting one so is it okay to post the link here?

I'd like some Trek fans to read this because it means a lot to me in terms of my own personal growth.

If not, I understand and I'll just say...

Thank you, George!

Travis

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Why don't you post an except from your blog here to start a discussion? I suggest this becase when you come in and the first thing you do is want to link out to another site that kinda feels like you're just trying to drive traffic there. Just my opinion, FWIW.

3. TravisJames

TravisJames Cadet Newbie

Great idea! Thanks. That's exactly why I asked.

EXCERPT BEGINS

I was fifteen years old. Shy beyond reason. Sweaty palms. Trembling voice. Deer-in-the-headlights stares around people.

But when I walked in that door to the Star Trek convention, my PASSION for the subject matter just flowed out of me. And being surrounded by other people with the same passion allowed me the freedom to open up and talk.

And did I ever TALK!

Passion is the critical element. When you’re surrounded by like-minded people who share your passion for something, it overrides all your old negative thoughts. Your love for the subject matter makes talking about it not only enjoyable but IMPERATIVE. You’ll find that you can’t NOT comment on it.

I even found the courage to talk to George Takei, who played Mr. Sulu on the original Star Trek. Super nice guy who appreciates Star Trek fans so much that he spent several minutes talking with each one of us who waited in line to meet him.

So what’s YOUR passion?

END OF EXCERPT

When I got back to class on Monday, I felt so confident. It's funny because we Trek fans get so labeled by society, and yet it was my passion for it that helped me break out of my shell.

Thanks again! I wanted to share an experience with some Star Trek fans and say thank you again to George after all these years.

Live long and prosper,

Travis

4. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

I think that it's great that Star Trek provided you with a vehicle to help you socialize. Yes, trekkies are still very much labeled by society; then again, everyone is labeled at some point or another. The important thing is to be true to oneself and to those things one is passionate about. I have never been to a convention, I would like to attend one soon (especially seeing as how the cast isn't getting any younger).

Sidenote: Anyone know how I can find out when and where the next conventions are? I am in Canada.

5. cblmc1296

cblmc1296 Commander Red Shirt

I agree, it is wonderful how the show itself and, in some cases, experiences with meeting its stars and seeing in person how genuine and outgoing they are can help bring we shy fans out of our shells.

BTW, there is a colossal Trek Con in Las Vegas, NV next month. Most of the major stars will be in attendance.

LLAP

6. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    What a great guy you decided to talk to! I've seen George a number of times at Star Trek conventions and he has been nothing but a terrific guy to me. He's polite, thoughtful, intelligent and a sheer delight to talk to. He's one of the best ambassadors for Star Trek that I have met.

And feel free to post directly to the BBS anytime. We're all friends here and there's pretty much nothing we don't discuss.

Welcome aboard!

7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, thanks for posting. Be well.

8. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral