Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

What are the chances that the story will be changed to replace the soviets with hydra?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'd say about 50/50. I don't really see a need to do so, though it'd likely depend on who else they bring in on the villain side. If it's Alexander Lukin, then they'd probably stick with the Soviets. If they decide to tie Winter Soldier to someone else, say, Baron Zemo, then obviously it'd be HYDRA instead.

In some ways, the story already was changed to HYDRA. It's been hinted that Bucky survived that fall into the frozen river because of the experiments Arnim Zola performed on him.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, and they even seemed to subtly set that up in CA: TFA when they went through Zola's lab during Cap's rescue.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, the outcome of those experiments was a prominent dangling thread. Also, according to formula, when a character "dies" like that, he generally survives, because in some way all is not what it seems.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Seeing the promo art for the new cartoon Avengers Assemble made this announcement even more likely.
    Seeing as how the GOTG appeared in TA:EMH, now we have their officially in the work film.

The cartoons as precursors to what's next seems like something for sure to keep an eye on.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Sam is Steve's most reliable modern-day partner, so it's hardly surprising news.

Mackie has already worked with Hawkeye, even.;)

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the Falcon and it will be cool to see him onscreen. He can introduce Cap into the new age of crimefighting.

Although I really want to see the focus on Cap vs Bucky.

9. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

inb4 "NOW THEY'LL HAVE HYDRA BEHIND THE SOVIETS TOO!"

Honestly, aside from some shyness about even partial glimpses of the Swastika in the film, it's abundantly clear that Hydra does not replace the actual Nazis in CA:TFA, but split off from them. Hell, they're more or less a cross between the Ahnenerbe and the Waffen-SS, except less cartoonishly evil and insane than either.

And as for Nazi Russians? That's happened in WWII, and it's not that far of a stretch to have Hydra work it's way into the Soviet underground, especially given every other anti-Soviet group that existed.

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if the Winter Soldier could then show up in a future Black Widow movie since he and Natasha have a past and did get together (I believe) in the comics after the events of the Civil War series played out.

Clint and he can fight it out in the Marvel movie-verse.

11. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if either one will end up wearing their masks. :p

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

:guffaw: Good one.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like Christopher I'm a little amazed they'd go full on spoiler for the subtitle. I guess this is all about the general audience and the rest of us will spoil ourselves silly in advance anyway, huh? Even without that, it was obvious what the next movie needed to be about...

I like all the news so far about this movie.

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Yeah, to most The Winter Soldier isn't spoiler material. To fans it's the same as naming it Captain America: Bucky Returns, though The Winter Soldier sounds a lot cooler. :)

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd wager "Winter Soldier" only means something to a few thousand people :lol:

16. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

They may have spoiled it a bit, but this was going to happen anyway once filming started and we got to know which actors are on set.
    And like many others, I'm glad they went with a sub-title and not just a number.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If anything I'm hoping that maybe the subtitle will cause people to google Captain+America+Winter+Soldier.
    If that takes them to Amazon or some site offering the material, they get it and read it then it's good for the industry as well. No different than hearing about Hunger Games and people seeking that book out. Sales of that went up. Comics should treat more movie titles as ways for general audiences to easily backtrack to the source just as people do for DaVinci Code, Potter, Twilight or Hunger Games.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that's true, then the fact that that was Cap's ol' sidekick Bucky from the comics in the first film is significant only to at most a few thousand more.

Most people filling the seats aren't going to care how the sequel hangs together with the first film, how it hangs together with the other Avengers films, or especially how it relates to the comics. They're only going to care how the film hangs together on screen the night they see it, just as they did for the first film.

If they need to piece it together with any other source material to make it work or to make it significant, or if they need to rewatch the first film first, then the sequel won't do so well, and that will be it for the film series.

In other words, whether the title's a spoiler isn't on the radar for most viewers.

19. Captain Qwert Jr

Captain Qwert Jr Captain Captain

20. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Well - I had no clue. I have been going back and watching all the Marvel films - out of order.

I like that Bucky will return. Sebastian Stan is a good actor.

Marvel is doing well at making good movies that link together if all are watched, but can be viewed as totally standalone.