"Frame of Mind" question

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Captain59, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    When exactly in the episode does it change from reality to when Riker has been captured and is unconscious, and we are seeing what's being played in his mind. I assume the episode started off as real, but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks.

2. arasam22

arasam22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

no, i think it starts off in riker's mind.

3. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^Yup

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

AFAIK, almost all of this episode is in Riker's mind. It only becomes real when he wakes up on the operating table.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's all in his head. Like how "Won't get fooled again" for Farscape was also all in Crichton's head from the teaser.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I have nothing else to add besides this being one of my favorite The Next Generation episodes. It's also one of Braga's best outings. :D

7. arasam22

arasam22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

QFT!!

i'm always getting this disk on netflix and it drives my mom crazy... she's always like, are you watching that one with riker AGAIN?? :lol:

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ You know, arasam22, I was going to send you a PM about this, by I figure I can say this here as well: You avatar is brilliant! Very intelligent use of simple animation. :techman:

9. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this episode. I find the scene in Sickbay, when it looks as if Riker has been rescued to be sad and disturbing. Sad in how disengaged he is from what's happening around him, and disturbing in that he is willing to kill himself to made it stop.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I liked how edgy and ragged he came off as in that scene. Like how when Crusher tried to get a reading in sickbay he kept pulling back like someone was trying to jump him.

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I believe it was meant to always be in his mind.

I regret this wasn't one of my favorite TNG outings. I can't put my finger on why.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

For me, it just seemed completely pointless. I've never liked "Thank goodness it was all just a dream!" stories.

13. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I like this ep because it's creepy. And the scene where we see a disturbed Riker's face behind that porthole screaming bloody murder just summed up how agitated he was, stuck in that scenario as a mental patient. -- RR

14. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I liked when TNG mixed a bit of thriller/horror elements into the stories in the later seasons. This is one of the better examples.