Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, they didn't really have anything to do with the recurring story arcs.

2. gturner

gturner Admiral

True, but it would've been kind of cute if they "saw too much" and ended up making another appearance, kind of like the opportunity to re-use a later character who really likes donuts and bowling. But there characters weren't really developed enough in the episode to justify it, and probably half the episodes have characters who we could imagine showing back up but who don't. I guess the other half of the episodes do have characters who show back up. ^_^

I guess I'm saying it would've been nice if a few more normal Earth people found out the secret and got pulled inside a few times, or had odd specialties that ended up being needed off planet. As the audience we'd be likely to identify with ordinary Earth folks who also end up traveling through the stargate, a bit like Samantha's father Jacob (though he was an Air Force general) or Ely's character on SGU, as opposed to all the ordinary folks from other planets who had the wonders revealed to them.

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: The location given for Seth's compound is the area where I am now.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Good thing you didn't drink the KoolAid, it would suck to have missed out on some of your great one-liners :devil: Plus, you're a bird, afterall, and we feathered ones need to look out for each other :D

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

But flying upside down is so groovy, man.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Some seasonal travel has hindered my viewing the last few weeks. Got two more episodes in over the weekend though.

3x5-Learning Curve: Pretty good bottle show. Not sure what, if any, message might be layered into this episode. A civilization that essentially as adults(we only see the one) are inept but the children are the advanced thinkers. The use of nanite technology that passes the learned knowledge down from child to child was it seemed a way of foregoing books or hands on apprenticeship type learning. The lead tween actress had that odd look of "have I seen you in something", her IMDB reveals she was on Smallville as Courtney/Stargirl no less which explains why, she grew up. Overall a pretty good episode.

3x6-Point of View: Ok, now this is good stuff. That Quantum Mirror is back. Thought that was relegated to a one-off show but used here for a fun episode. This episode felt like City on the Edge of Forever(the mirror reminds me of The Guardian), Mirror/Mirror and Parallels all wrapped into one. Our goatee wearing bad guys was a great nod to TOS. I kinda wanted Kawalsky to be able to stay. That character connection back to the movie is something I like. This isn't the first time the Jack/Sam romance has been indicated as happening "elsewhen". I'm now wondering if this will happen in our timeline or just be teased like a Mulder/Scully.

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

I really liked those two.

8. The Wormhole

Learning Curve, okay, so we taught these guys how to have fun and play hop scotch. What happens if they actually get attacked? That planet's pretty much screwed.

Point of View was pretty cool. Mind you, Asgard ships are pretty fast in that universe. Carter arrives on their homeworld in another galaxy, and within two minutes, the ship has made it to Earth. And it likely originated from the homeworld, since Carter was onboard it. It must be something unique to that universe, prime universe Asgard ships have never been quite that fast. Faster than anyone else, yes, but it still takes them more than a day to travel between galaxies.

9. Captain Craig

3x7-Deadman Switch: Since I just saw the movie TED within the last week or so this episode was a welcome treat. It costars Sam Wilson(Flash Gordon) who had a sizable role in TED. Plus I enjoyed he episode. It had a Fett-light feel to it I suppose. I would enjoy seeing Wilson's bounty hunter again. Especially since he did the right thing at the end by faking their deaths and not turning over the SG team to the Gou'ald.

3x8-Demons: A modest episode. Was this supposed to be the same Unas we saw voiced by James Earl Jones in the Chariot of Thor episode(I think I'm right). Wasn't he killed if so? Or is Unas a race, like saying Gou'ald or To'kra? I was little let down I suppose cause like Jack said, "Wait you mean this world may have a Gou'ald posing as God God?" Which I thought might lead to a cool "What does God need with a starship"(variation on it anyway) one line zinger down the road by Jack. Exhibit A of why not to anticipate and just let it unfold I suppose.

3x9-Rules of Engagement: This episode bored me. I started checking email halfway though it. War Games conducted by teen males? Feels like a grunt assignment if you were the Gou'ald relegated to watching over this.

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

I really enjoyed "Deadman Switch". The bounty hunter should have his own series. "Demons" was okay, though the medieval village thing can get a bit tiresome, and yes, I skip "Rules of Engagement" on any rewatch.

11. The Wormhole

The Unas are a species, this one was a different one than the one James Earl Jones played.

Anyhoo, Deadman Switch was definitely the best of this batch. Bounty Hunter Aris Boch is a really cool character.

I thought Demons was the worse of the lot, and really pretty bad.

Rules of Engagement was okay. Not among my favourites, but passable entertainment.

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

You know, I can't recall really liking any of their medieval "European" village episodes. I wonder if it's because of the way they usually portrayed the inhabitants?

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

As wide eyed idiots?

Oh except for a couple good guys who see the possibilities beyond their villages limitations. Rinse, repeat.

14. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

His name is Sam J Jones.

15. gturner

gturner Admiral

Yeah, every medieval village episode should've started with SG-1 stepping though the stargate and:

Carter: "It looks like a medieval village."
    O'Neill: "Well this is lovely. I wonder where they keep the stocks and ankle chains?"
    Daniel: "I have a sense of deja vu."
    Te'alc: "Indeed."

16. Captain Craig

Didn't quiet get to the end of S3 as I had hoped over the Holiday break. Almost though. Too many movies and social time with out of town friends. I'll try to keep my thoughts on them short since it's so many at one time. The new eps I watched though are:

3x10-Forever in a Day: So the bottom line is that the entirety of this episode happens in Daniel's mind only to awaken and re-witness the reality that Sha'rae is actually killed. Now since her body was kept by the SGC and there is no "we never see the body" are we really killing her off already?

3x11-Past and Present: I knew we'd have to revisit "The Destoyer of Worlds", or at least hoped we would. Good bit of writing here as it allowed for a recasting of the role AND put Daniel into a love story right after Sha'rae's death. The amnesia angle is a good one but I have to feel as uncertain as Jack that this is a solid solution. I still fear Kira(can't remember her 'Destroyer' name off hand, Kira though I can).

3x12-Jolinar's Memories: Once again going to Hell, or the Egyptian version controlled by Sokar. Don't like this guy. We get to see what Jolinar looked like via flashback, kinda like seeing other Dax hosts. Then of course the big reveal at the end...Apophis lives. Even if he is all Robocop-ified looking.

3x13-The Devil You Know: To shorten this up I'm still left going Apophis lives....Egyptian Hell moon's core overloads, blows up....Apohopis is dead again? Is this guy the Kenny of the SG-1 world or what?!!

3x14-Foothold: Another alien race like the Re'tu that caught the SGC off guard but successfully overtook the mountain. I'm not sure we learned the name of this race who looked something like modified Breen soldiers just with a bit more color. I really liked the episode though as it made me want to like Mayborne a little bit.

3x15-Pretense: The episode felt heavily like Measure of a Man from TNG where Data has to defend: is he himself or property. Here Ska'ar is on trial to be himself or cattle for Gou'ald bonding as they see fit. Plus side note is thanks to Teal'c they save the Tolian planet from their own hubris.
    Are the Nox the Vulcan equivalent of the Stargate universe, I'm tilting that way.

3x16-Urgo: The comedy episode to break up so much tense drama. I was alright with it but indifference is probably the best word for me. The one in-joke that did snap me to a few seconds of attention was the Dom DeLuise presto changeo into his son Peter when Urgo made himself look younger and more dapper.

3x17-A Hundred Days: Another show about humans still living as primitive as they were when they were taken. This episode allows for the idea once again the love has found Jack. If it weren't for Urgo this would've been a mediocre story but it followed it so I liked it more than probably normal but can still see it as a lesser installment.

3x18-Shades of Grey: What this episode did nicely was take a throw away relationship like Jack had in A Hundred Days combine that with the "technology" issue with the Tolians in Pretense and make me despise Mayborne all over again as it rightfully should be!! My first thought was that this might be an episode laying ground work for Atlantis with another team using a Stargate. Guess not.

3x19-New Ground: I really liked this episode. It had that feel of "how would you act if your faced with a reality that threatens the truths you know". Those truths can be anything and in the context of ones origins(as if often the case in this show for some worlds) on this planet it would halt a war and prove one whole continent is wrong. That may died for nothing.
    Since the military is going to seize the Gate and cover up the events is there reason to believe we ever come back here? Depends on if this Nyan guy is going to really become some semi-recurring character as Daniel's researcher I suppose.

17. The Wormhole

Apophi is still alive, he's in the final scene of the episode taking control of Sokar's palace.

18. Captain Craig

^^^^^
    And that didn't take long, Apophis lives and Jack expresses it like I would've thought.

3x20-Maternal Instinct: Jack, like me thought Apophis had bit it again. He now controls what's left of Sokar's army and seeks the child he had with Sha'rae. Whose turned up at a type of Hindu temple and guarded by a benevolent wraith like entity. Daniel is of course powerless to take the child but concedes the child is better off with them. I'm now wondering how the child will circle back into the story later. Will he turn up with accelerated growth somehow?

3x21-Crystal Skull: Fun story. Stories with crystal skulls are fun! It appears this is a one off Daniel Jackson story and that the "Giant Aliens" aren't likely to ever appear again but I've thought that before about other stories.

3x22-Nemesis: So we finally meet the "big bad" that's keeping the Asgards so busy....the spider-borg aka Replicator! So a mechanical creation of theirs has gained AI and become malevolent OR it's just part of their programming? Consume and replicate. I think the real interesting undercurrent of the episode is the Jack/Sam dynamic. Can't ignore that the writers seem to be pulling over the alternate world love story of the two into our Jack & Sam. Since I was told earlier the episodes are going to be cliffhangers from here on out I knew it wouldn't end it neatly and one lone surviving spider-borg Replicator was going to survive.

Jumped right into season 4 to finish the two-parter. The last full Showtime season...right?

4x1-Small Victories: Not a bad conclusion. It does a good job of being realistic in that it doesn't ignore that other leading nations, this case Russia, would've been able to detect and monitor a huge ass Asgard ship burning up in the atmosphere. So the international fallout serves as a good piece of backdrop tension imo also. Sam at the Asgard home world coming up with her "stupid ideas" to outwit the Replicators. I feel like a lot of setup was done to refer to humans as lesser thinkers just to have Thor utter the line, "It was your stupid idea". Do you think the next Asgardian master ship will be called the Carter---since she blew up The O'Neill?

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Suffice to say Thor does get a new flagship.

20. The Wormhole

That's actually season 5. SG-1 was split evenly, 5 seasons on Showtime, another 5 on SyFy.

And it is named after someone else on SG-1.