Phase II "Going Boldly" (new vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dru, Aug 6, 2012.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Indeed. Anyone who paid attention during Blood and Fire would remember Hodell and Freeman's names; the others were nice touches as well. I didn't need Greg's addtional expounding here included in the vignette itself, but including those names adds a sense of realism and continuity to the series that might otherwise just be overthought if presented otherwise.

2. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank You gents!

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay! You did the asteroid space dock! It was perfect!

4. doubleohfive

Indeed. That, and the Archer mention were two nice shout-outs to Enterprise (the series). ROCK ON!

5. DaveGalanter

DaveGalanter Writer/Ape In Memoriam

That is how they go in, but that does not mean they were then connected to the internal systems and working. You just got a snapshot of some of the refit construction. :cool:

6. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was nice to see Alec Peters as Captain Garth. You will see more of him in the future with the project I am working on with him and others from Phase 2.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Continued improvement on a series already at the top of it's game... oh, it's Phase II? That's what I expect from them!

8. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here...now THIS is more like it! :bolian:

9. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Wow.. This fan series just keeps getting better and better. Nicely done and looking forward to more.

10. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you for all the nice comments. I had a blast working on the effects on this one - recreating the Enterprise, the Astrodock (based on the Ralph McQuarrie design, with some own ideas and influences from Enterprise), Arex (thanks to Enrico and Arne from my team for setting him up) and a lot of smaller fixes that I did "on the fly" while filming (e.g. the virtual engine room Scotty is standing in).

I´m looking forward to put the ship in motion in future episodes, but first we have to finalize some "old" ones... :)

11. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am one of the people who while really interested in the 'lost series' of what could have been if they hadn't made TMP, but didn't want to see the transition over to the Phase 2 version of the Enterprise and was glad when previously the decision not to was made.

When watching your clip and realised that it was happening, I will be honest I was thinking I was going to hate it, but then when I saw what had been done to merge the two Enterprises I actually really like it! Im not normally one to hate an alternate take on the bigE, I love the re-imagined versions made by some of the guys in the Art section and even like the 2009 version. The mix of a fresh new Enterprise but with the classic costumes and sets will be incredible!

I think this is akin to fans of the RTD Who series accepting with a new Doctor came a completely new Tardis.

Good work and looking forward to seeing the last episodes with the old Kirk and the 'old' old girl as well as the new Kirk and his Enterprise…in fact this has given me inspiration to start doing some 3d modelling again!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

This is the most impressive thing, from writing to acting to fx. I really loved it and it made me tear up and usually things dont get to me.

13. DaveGalanter

DaveGalanter Writer/Ape In Memoriam

I assume that they connect to a deeper infrastructure but what you're seeing is just some of the assembly. People are working INSIDE to connect them to the rest of the structural setup. :)

14. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

So Captain Garth must be sane again. Also cool how the nacelles now look like a TOS and TMP hybrid.

And Garrett Wang's hair seems to have become a lot bushier as well as long.

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oooh, the asteroid spacedock pre-dates Star Trek: Enterprise by quite a bit! It was part of the original Ralph McQuarrie concept artwork produced back before Paramount decided to go with Phase II. Here's a link that shares some of that artwork and discusses early ideas for the cancelled first film.

16. doubleohfive

Nice! Not sure how I could have forgotten about that... and at the same time, it can be both a realization of McQuarrie's work and a nod to Enterprise. Either way, I'm a happy nerd!

17. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Excellent, looking forward to seeing them. :)

18. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I liked it. It has several things which made it highly watchable. As always, I look forward to more from the talented cast and crew.

19. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

The attention to authenticity and every little detail is always a plus, including if you're going to reference ENT it's at least done properly unlike some half ass meaningless comment about a beagle and not being sure which Archer it's supposed to come from. They would have been better off making no references to ENT.

20. Fez

Fez Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Actually, that is Wayne Johnson who plays Ensign Dawson Walking Bear from The Animated Series